Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed with Cocoa Leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
marimond
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed with Cocoa Leather

I'm getting close to ordering and need some help with colors. I love the cocoa leather, but am having trouble picking an exterior color to go with it. GT Silver is superb (but nearly $3k). Artic Silver and White are also good. What other colors do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

As you stated......GT is awesome with it.......but I don't think I could pony up $3K for what is just another version of Silver. A lot of colors would look good with Cocoa.....

Red (dealer has a red on cocoa 997 cab, looks great)
Midnight Blue (very nice)
Forest Green "
Seal Grey "
White "
Artic Silver "
Atlas Grey "

I don't like Black, Lapis, Yellow, or Carmon Red with cocoa......just my .02
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like cocoa, you might like it with several different exterior colors, but to my eye, cocoa looks best with GT Silver. I didn't know why until my dealer (a long time Porsche guy) told me that GT Silver has a bit of brown in it, thus that color combination seems to enhance the appearance of both colors. I couldn't convince myself to order a $3070 exterior color either, but if you're already sold on a cocoa interior at extra cost ....
Old 12-07-2005, 01:08 PM
marimond
5th Gear

Thanks guys. I'm intrigued by the midnight blue/cocoa. Gonna stop by the dealer and play with the color samples tonite. Thought of forest green/cocoa but that is too "English" for me.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:29 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

I am partial to Speed Yellow and almost got Cocoa in mine. I saw a 911 with this combination and it looked very nice. The Cocoa looks pretty much like black at first glance and I think it would go well with most of the exterior colors.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Cayman looks awesome in white. Might be a pain to keep clean though.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:38 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 91 Posts

I ordered mine with Cocoa interior and Arctic exterior - couldn't spring for the $3000 GT Silver although that is probably the best. I like the idea of Midnight Blue with Cocoa too.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM
wrickem
Intermediate

The cocoa looks fantastic with white (if you like white). I have some pics my white/cocoa Boxster in the 987 forum. White is very easy to keep clean but birds really do poo on white more often than dark colors.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM
marimond
5th Gear

Thanks for the pics of the white/cocoa. It does look really good.

Went and played with colors at the dealer last night. Leaning towards Arctic/Cocoa. But I was very surprised by how good Midnight Blue/Cocoa looked.

Argh...decisions....decisions....
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Wrickem: If you give me the reference to the study that found that birds poo more often on white cars than they do on darker cars, I'll publish the findings in the newsletter I edit. I am convinced that knats are attracted more to my white car when I wash it in the summer. My last 3 Porsches were white, and I agree that white seems easy to keep clean, including not showing swirls and fine scratches, which I assume are there. Silver is another color that's easy to keep clean and looking nice. The other side of the coin is that it is very difficult to give whites and silvers a knock-em down brilliant shine. I'll accept that trade-off, however.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

Originally Posted by marimond
Thanks for the pics of the white/cocoa. It does look really good.

Went and played with colors at the dealer last night. Leaning towards Arctic/Cocoa. But I was very surprised by how good Midnight Blue/Cocoa looked.

Argh...decisions....decisions....
It really is hard to argue with Artic/Cocoa........but it will be a more common combination where the Midnight/Cocoa would be truly different......just something else to think about. Yes, these decisions are hard!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
wrickem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Wrickem: If you give me the reference to the study that found that birds poo more often on white cars than they do on darker cars, I'll publish the findings in the newsletter I edit. I am convinced that knats are attracted more to my white car when I wash it in the summer. My last 3 Porsches were white, and I agree that white seems easy to keep clean, including not showing swirls and fine scratches, which I assume are there. Silver is another color that's easy to keep clean and looking nice. The other side of the coin is that it is very difficult to give whites and silvers a knock-em down brilliant shine. I'll accept that trade-off, however.
I just read it recently in one of the many car magazines I get, so it's already been published. I never really thougth about it until I read it. I've had dark color cars for years and very rarely do I find bird crap on them. This white one gets hit at least once or twice during the day when I drive it to work and park it in the usual spot. On the other hand though, my Carbon Black M3 gets tons of gnats on it, you just can't see them like you can on a white car.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I mean gnats rather than knats, whatever they are. There was a study published in the Roanoke Times last sumer that demonstrated the effects of having a light versus dark color interior for heat build-up in the summer. The cars had medium exterior color, but the car with the dark interior blew its thermometer out at over 130 degrees in about an hour and a half, whereas the car with the light interior never got over about 120 degrees all day. My silver M3 with light grey interior is the coolest car I've ever owned (at least in summer temperature), so I ordered an artic silver Cayman with the stone grey interior. I hope that helps it stay cool. It wouldn't bother me in the least if I saw a lot of other Caymans with the same color combination that mine has.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 12-08-2005 at 07:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-12-2005, 02:03 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I vote white or silver
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
944kid
Banned

Forest Green or Midnight Blue...maybe Atlas? IMO white doesn't look good with any varient of brown, but to each his own. Forest Green and Midnight Blue offer the most contrast (to me) and they make sense.

FOREST GREEN:

MIDNIGHT BLUE:

ATLAS:

and here's one of the cocoa, for those not in the know:

Is it just me, or do the colours look a bit off to a lot of people?

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply: Help Needed with Cocoa Leather