Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Sport Chrono 3d Printed Dial Hands

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2024 | 03:22 PM
GumbyExe

Default Sport Chrono 3d Printed Dial Hands

This is my first ever forum post so forgive any noob behavior, I am the brand new proud owner of a 987.2 Cayman! The hands on my chrono sport dial had fallen off which I discovered was a common problem on these cars, and after doing a little bit of research and thanks to
, I was able to come up with this fix. In the video they resin 3d print the solution, and will only sell you the finished part for around $50 which is crazy! I took mine apart, designed the dials as closely as I could, and used my bambu labs p1s to fdm 3d print the part for next to nothing. If there is enough interest I would be happy to setup a simple store and sell the STEP file for say ~$15. Happy to hear any feedback, answer questions, and gauge to see if this is something people want.

Finished product, very happy with the results.

Here's how they came off the bed. Printed on a lightyear g10 build plate on my p1s with bambu labs pla basic jade white for the OEM surface finish and look. Used a .06mm layer height and .2mm nozzle to get the detail.

Hands assembled onto dial.
The following 3 users liked this post by GumbyExe:
GermanCarFan1 (09-25-2024), Julian_KCMO (09-03-2024), stjoh (09-01-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 12:11 AM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

How do we go about purchasing these bad boys? I just swapped out my chrono face and the big hand just disintegrated.

My other option is to go to a watch repair store and see if they have something to offer as well.
Old 09-25-2024 | 12:11 PM
Stonesg
Intermediate

It's not the Chrono hands that I need but the pod it goes in... even better would be a double or triple pod with a smaller gauge size.

There might be a market of at least one there for you if you are a 3d wiz...
Old 09-25-2024 | 08:05 PM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stonesg
It's not the Chrono hands that I need but the pod it goes in... even better would be a double or triple pod with a smaller gauge size.

There might be a market of at least one there for you if you are a 3d wiz...
Ebay is your source for those.
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:07 AM
Stonesg
Intermediate

Default Pricey

Originally Posted by GermanCarFan1
Ebay is your source for those.
Prices for factory stuff are stupid though.

I'd like to 3D print a double or triple that looks like the factory pod but I'm not able to even gin up a cube in 3D printing software much less a complex shape. (I do want to learn but there's too many other things on the list before that...)

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono 3d Printed Dial Hands