Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade or find new car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 07:53 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a counterpoint regarding the first gen S 987’s. My 08 987.1 (then stock) threw a rod and blew a hole in the side at Sebring second time at the track. I’m a fairly seasoned Hpde driver on 200 treadwear tires. Was a new to me 60k car 5 years ago. Replacement used engine was similar miles from a wrecked car. That engine got a deep sump and accusump per a friend running a 06 in spec cayman (who has blown up and replaced a 3.4 motor using R tires). That motor lasted about two years before spinning a rod bearing at Road Atlanta. Still ran enough to get it loaded on the trailer for home.
At some point I rode in a students 07S at Road Atlanta that developed a rattle and misfires first time out. Track support gave him the bad news. My rod bearing failure engine is now rebuilt with a UIDS oil pan and 3.8L sleeves, new everything. No bore scoring has ever been diagnosed in my failed motors. Seen at least two others failed going home from track events. It definitely happens. All victims of oiling ie, low oil pressure events. This is all just my experience over 5 years.
The motor in the lower trim non S is apparently immune from these failures. Love my car otherwise and plan to keep enjoying it!

Last edited by jesseellington; 08-23-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:34 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HPGDM
Any recommendations on where to shop for a helmet?
Find a way to try on, if at all possible… Fit is important and each brand fits just a little differently. Guidance from a good race shop is helpful.

We are fortunate to have northstarmotorsports.com in our back yard. Great selection and guidance, I’ve bought 3 or 4 helmets, plus other items there over the years. Super folks.

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

Quick Reply: Upgrade or find new car?