Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converts in NY State

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 12:28 PM
xtra98.2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Catalytic Converts in NY State

I need to replace the cats on my 987.2, but since it has an FVD aftermarket exhaust, I am having a very difficult time figuring out whats legal in New York State and what isn't.

I installed the exhaust three years ago, long before the new law making all but OEM cats illegal. There are apparently exceptions, including for cars that are "no longer covered by their exhaust warranty", so I feel like that covers a 2009 car.

What are my options? I would like to simply replace them with the same HJS cats that came with the FVD exhaust, but every time I speak to an indy they tell me "I think thats illegal now". No one seems to know what to do.

I can't pass inspection because the old cats are toast, and I can't register the car without it. Starting to panic a bit. Please help!

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:55 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

NYS is pretty strict with inspections. I don't know if they do visuals, but they probably do - they like to follow CA's lead in most cases.

NYS also has decent webpages about the process, etc. So, you should spend a little time reading up on it to see what they'll do
https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/inspection-requirements

Speaking from experience, I worked on a Corvette and disabled the parking brake because it was a 1973 (they rust, notoriously, and fail VERY easily). They looked at it, and failed it immediately. My guess is that they will notice the aftermarket exhaust and fail it because of that alone. Your best bet would be to get a stock exhaust (used) from the forums or something to put on instead.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:37 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Call me crazy, but have you considered asking an inspection station or the NYS registry your questions? They might know better answers than random people reading this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by KevinGross:
harveyf (08-07-2023), The Duke (08-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converts in NY State