Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 tiptronic stuck in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 11:14 AM
Andrew Walsh
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 tiptronic stuck in reverse

Hey all,

Yesterday I took my 2006 boxster s with tip out to an event. I drove roughly 30 minutes. When I got there I went into reverse to park. I then went to shift into park and the shifter had no resistance either going forward or backward. I found myself stuck in reverse with no way to shift. I ended up deploying the e-break and then turning the car off. About a hour later I had a friend meet me. Between the two of us we were able to manually shift the car into drive via access underneath the back of the car.

I was able to get it home then and into the garage. We put it up on jacks and got under there to really take a look at what was going on. It seems that the linkage arm/rod that attaches to the shift arm on the side of the transmission has become disconnected. I don't know how else to describe it but as a plastic socket style connector. I included two pictures of it below for reference. So I was able to get the linkage arm/rod back into the socket connector but it would fall out as I moved into reverse. This connector shows some signs of wear. I wanted to check with the group and see if its possible this piece has been worn down and is the cause of the slippage? Or should I be looking at the cables? Finally, if I do need to replace this piece, does anyone know the actual name of it so that I can source it. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.