Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 06:47 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 94 Posts

Possibly the easiest DIY repair I’ve done- front turn signal bulb replacement.

The following users liked this post:
porsche_rrr (08-18-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 12:37 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 59 Posts

I noticed that the rear anti roll bar on my 07 Base Cayman measured at 19mm and yet the one still on my Boxster S (still parting out) was 20mm. I didn't expect it to be as noticable a change as what it has been but on my drive to work this morning it's noticably flatter on the highway off ramp and thru roundabouts. No noticable change to the ride quality. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I reused the bushings from the Boxster but checked the part numbers on the aluminum bracket (a 996 part number) and they are the same for both bars.
The following 3 users liked this post by Julian_KCMO:
Glue Guy (08-19-2024), nicetheory (08-19-2024), porsche_rrr (08-19-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 04:31 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,792 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian_KCMO
I noticed that the rear anti roll bar on my 07 Base Cayman measured at 19mm and yet the one still on my Boxster S (still parting out) was 20mm. I didn't expect it to be as noticable a change as what it has been but on my drive to work this morning it's noticably flatter on the highway off ramp and thru roundabouts. No noticable change to the ride quality. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I reused the bushings from the Boxster but checked the part numbers on the aluminum bracket (a 996 part number) and they are the same for both bars.
Wow!
That's really surprising - you have roundabouts in KC?
I had thought, they were a no-no in most of the US?

What's next, km/h and liters?
porsche_rrr (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 09:24 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Wow! That's really surprising - you have roundabouts in KC?
They're springing up all over northeast Georgia. When the first one opened in our area, law enforcement were tasked with repeatedly driving around the roundabout to demonstrate to drivers how it functions. Then, there this: https://www.thedrive.com/news/meet-r...g-and-fan-page
Old 08-26-2024, 10:57 AM
mspalacios
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY oil service

First DIY oil change after 3500 mi on my now 39K Boxster. It was overfilled and I am keen on getting a baseline oil analysis. I used Liqui Molly 5W40, 7.5 quarts. A little unnerving using the jack stands, but all went well.
Cut open the filter and only 2 little specs of material were found - I should have used a magnet to verify if magnetic. Either way, oil sample being sent to Blackstone Labs for initial analysis. Also changed air and cabin filters, these could have gone longer...
Attached Images        
The following 2 users liked this post by mspalacios:
Flyrod (08-31-2024), porsche_rrr (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:45 AM
Gatornapper
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Sadly my sweet 987.2 S is still in the body shop having $10k repair from where woman on my left decided to make a right turn in spite of my presence to her right.

Glad to know no structural damage, but a lot of cosmetic. While in shop having rear bumper and spoiler repainted due to minor scratches & damage that's been there for years. Happy about that.

Enjoying nice new Eco-Boost Mustang rental car - very impressed with everything. Corners as flat as my Cayman S (trust me - I've pushed it in the twisties!), quality build, great power in spite of tiny 2.3L Turbo engine (310hp), and 27mpg mileage. Technology gets a 9+ = has Normal, Sport, Track and Dragstrip Modes. In Dragstrip broke rubber in shifts from 1-2 and 2=3. In Track handles incredibly flat and well with very responsive steering, even on narrow 225R17 tires.

Dislikes: harsh ride and loooong hood, feels like big car at about 3,600lbs.

I was a Mustang guy ('66 289 Coupe, new '68 Bullitt Fastback [[b]before movie!] in '67 - '70) before Porsche found me so they are still a great car to me - especially when in '15 when they added independent rear suspension.

GN

Last edited by Gatornapper; 08-26-2024 at 11:50 AM.
porsche_rrr (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 05:13 PM
XuTVJet
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Wow!
That's really surprising - you have roundabouts in KC?
I had thought, they were a no-no in most of the US?
Roundabouts in the US are fairly commonplace from what I've seen. And yeah, there are a ton of them in the newer developments and redevelopments in Johnson County (southern KC). We also have a number of a diverging diamond interchanges which are interesting to drive through the first time.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:25 PM
Gatornapper
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Accident I reported above in #1671 was in a large round-about. Gal in inner circle, I in outer circle maybe my nose 3' behind hers - she wants to exit roundabout. Only problem is - I'm in her way! I slammed on brakes, stopping quickly - she kept going scraping whole right side of her Sentra across left front corner of my Cayman. Private property so cops couldn't help - huge shopping center.

Thankfully she was honest with State Farm that it was her fault.

GN
Old 08-29-2024, 05:08 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,792 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
They're springing up all over northeast Georgia. When the first one opened in our area, law enforcement were tasked with repeatedly driving around the roundabout to demonstrate to drivers how it functions. Then, there this: https://www.thedrive.com/news/meet-r...g-and-fan-page
Ha!
Thanks for that reference, as it led me down a rabbit hole of fun...

Originally Posted by mspalacios

A little unnerving using the jack stands, but all went well.
Ahem... rightly so!
Excuse me please for saying, as you should NEVER get under a car without two forms of support... at least in your garage.
Using proper pucks on the jack stands is also recommended, as steel on steel (when someone inadvertently leans on car when you're under it), is a sad, sad, way to die.
Blocks of wood, removed wheel and tire, jack, anything is better than crawling under a car with no secondary support.

Your risk profile may vary...
The following 4 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
mspalacios (09-11-2024), porsche_rrr (08-29-2024), sasilverbullet (08-29-2024), vitaminC (08-29-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 12:50 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 322 Posts

Agreed, always throw a wheel/tire under the car that will support it should the jackstands fail or slip. It has happened in the car communities I've been a part of and resulted in fatalities...sometimes the body not found until a day or two later.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zach L:
Flyrod (08-31-2024), mspalacios (09-11-2024), porsche_rrr (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 01:52 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

I installed a trailer hitch today. Just for fun.

Here is the wiring. It can all be done on the left side. I am not a fan of positaps or fuse taps but it seem appropriate in this case. The wire going to that fuse is fed by a 25A circuit so I am not to worried.

Old 08-30-2024, 11:25 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatornapper
Accident I reported above in #1671 was in a large round-about. Gal in inner circle, I in outer circle maybe my nose 3' behind hers - she wants to exit roundabout. Only problem is - I'm in her way! I slammed on brakes, stopping quickly - she kept going scraping whole right side of her Sentra across left front corner of my Cayman. Private property so cops couldn't help - huge shopping center.

Thankfully she was honest with State Farm that it was her fault.

GN
I like roundabouts, but they should all be single lane. Multilane circles are just looking for trouble.

People should use their left turn signals to confirm they are claiming their ROW to stay in the circle,
or right turn signal to confirm they are leaving the circle at this opportunity.

Some circles have a bypass roadway for right turns that precedes the circle. This only seems to work correctly if that roadway gets its own lane for a bit on the new road.
porsche_rrr (08-31-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 11:28 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
I installed a trailer hitch today. Just for fun.

What's your plan for license plate?
Flyrod (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 12:19 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Today I took my 987.2 for a ride in the country. Not a drive. A ride.

Yesterday I drove my Cayman to a shop where they had been installing a pair of spring leaves into the rear of my F-150, repacking the wheel bearings on my trailer and replacing the brakes on my trailer. I arrived to find my trailer hooked up to my truck. I measured the hitch plate at 14.5 inches from the pavement. I winched my Cayman into the trailer and tied it down. I remeasured and it came up to 14.5 inches. I took this as a sign that I have been placing my car correctly. I hooked up my friction snubber and headed south on the arterial street that turns into a nice rural road. I turned west on a road I knew would take me to and Interstate to test the rig at 70 MPH. On the way I drove into a torrential downpour. Damn. I drove past the freeway entrance and headed north on surface roads at substantially-reduced speed since visibility stank. By the time/space I neared my house, it was merely raining, so I parked the rig in front of my house and called it a night.

Today I got all the tires to 80 PSI and hit the freeway south. The rig did vey well. The power in this truck hardly noticed the 6,000 or so pounds of trailer+Cayman was even back there. I decided to drive all the way to Owatonna to visit my favorite RV-coach service place out in the cornfields. Made a deal to have an awning put on the trailer before I tow the Caterham to the Lotus Owners Gathering. Since I knew there was a huge single-lane construction backup on the northbound freeway, I took mostly-empty country roads back home.

Parked the rig in front of my house. Leave it til tomorrow to put the Cayman away.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier/, on Flickr

Last edited by FlipE; 08-31-2024 at 12:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlipE:
Flyrod (08-31-2024), sasilverbullet (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:24 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipE
What's your plan for license plate?
I've got a flip hinge coming in the mail. When not in use the hitch gets removed, licence plate goes down, and it looks normal. Kind of like this

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?