Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Cayman 987.1 Shifter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 AM
driftin987
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Cayman 987.1 Shifter Cable

Hey guys. Got my 987.1 just about 2 months ago... AND, the shift was getting harder to row through the gears. The shifter sometimes goes into gear, it's hard to find neutral, and it take a bit of effort to slide it into a gear. Did some research and seems like the shifter cable is going? Luckily I didn't get stuck with the cable breaking.

I have a 2007 Base Cayman 5 speed.

Some of the articles were talking about numeric, suncoast, and I also looked at the oem from pelican as well. The Suncoast kit requires the 'shift cable update kit' for about $350 on top of the cable? What's the best price/performance fix for this? Also is there any other parts I should consider updating/ upgrading while doing this job?

Thanks guys~!!! Also my first post!!

PART: Numeric NM200, for 5 speed manual: https://numericracing.com/store/cables-986987/

UPDATE: Spoke with a friend, is it possible that the synchro might be going bad?

Last edited by driftin987; 06-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by driftin987
Hey guys. Got my 987.2 just about 2 months ago... AND, the shift was getting harder to row through the gears. Did some research and seems like the shifter cable is going? Luckily I didn't get stuck with the cable breaking.

I have a 2007 Base Cayman 5 speed.

Some of the articles were talking about numeric, suncoast, and I also looked at the oem from pelican as well. The Suncoast kit requires the 'shift cable update kit' for about $350 on top of the cable? What's the best price/performance fix for this? Also is there any other parts I should consider updating/ upgrading while doing this job?

Thanks guys~!!!
Look at Numeric and do it right and never have to worry about it again!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 AM
driftin987
4th Gear

Does Numeric require a 'shifter cable update kit' ?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 126 Posts

Does Numeric require a 'shifter cable update kit' ?
Replacing the cables is the update. Not sure what kit you're referring to but the 2 cables don't have serviceable parts; you just changed them out entirely.

Now you can also upgrade to the Numeric Shifter itself, but that's not required if you just want to upgrade the cables and not worry about them snapping.

Also you have a 987.1 if yours is a 2007 model so keep that in mind when buying parts.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM
driftin987
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Replacing the cables is the update. Not sure what kit you're referring to but the 2 cables don't have serviceable parts; you just changed them out entirely.

Now you can also upgrade to the Numeric Shifter itself, but that's not required if you just want to upgrade the cables and not worry about them snapping.

Also you have a 987.1 if yours is a 2007 model so keep that in mind when buying parts.
@kiznarsh thanks for the correction. Was a bmw guy forever, finally made the move to prosche. The suncoast 'update' i was referring to is https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987SCAB.html and there's a note "NOTE: ** If your car has original hardware, the original version has discontinued. A newer version is available with updated lever and support, and all pieces must be updated."

Best place/ price to buy is https://numericracing.com/ ?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM
garfunkle
Banned

@kiznarsh thanks for the correction. Was a bmw guy forever, finally made the move to prosche. The suncoast 'update' i was referring to is https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987SCAB.html and there's a note "NOTE: ** If your car has original hardware, the original version has discontinued. A newer version is available with updated lever and support, and all pieces must be updated."

Numeric racing unless you have a relationship with a vendor like GMP. Not that there's any price advantage, just relationship building.

Numeris has a shifter and they have cables. Sounds like you NEED the cables. The shifter is kind of a want but the factory one has plastic parts that will wear out. I have it and LOVE it. Very mechanical and for me it is perfect. A Porsche GT3 SSK is a lot lighter in weight and "easier" and although I think for people like me the Numeric is a clear winner, I do believe that some will prefer the Porsche OEM/GT3 option which is an upgrade from what came in the car.

Note: SSK and cables are 2 difference things.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:14 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't think the Porsche GT3 and Porsche SSK are the same thing, not to confuse things any further.

If that's incorrect someone chime in.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by andy7777
I don't think the Porsche GT3 and Porsche SSK are the same thing, not to confuse things any further.

If that's incorrect someone chime in.
You're correct. Different products/SKU's.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:11 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 126 Posts

I see. Yeah, just buy the Numeric ones. I bought the cables directly from them.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Numeric racing unless you have a relationship with a vendor like GMP. Not that there's any price advantage, just relationship building.

Numeris has a shifter and they have cables. Sounds like you NEED the cables. The shifter is kind of a want but the factory one has plastic parts that will wear out. I have it and LOVE it. Very mechanical and for me it is perfect. A Porsche GT3 SSK is a lot lighter in weight and "easier" and although I think for people like me the Numeric is a clear winner, I do believe that some will prefer the Porsche OEM/GT3 option which is an upgrade from what came in the car.

Note: SSK and cables are 2 difference things.
What do you mean when you write "easier"?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:20 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by professsorz
What do you mean when you write "easier"?
The Porsche SSK and GT3 Shifter with updated and/or OEM are lighter and take less effort than the numeric shifter with cables. Not that you have to be strong to use it but shifting certainly requires more intention. Reading back... I don't know how to describe it better and what I wrote may even be overstating... I think the numeric feel is superior. Its kind of like people that like the 987 hydraulic steering would like numeric and people that like 981 (light and easy) steering may like the Porsche options.

I'd wager that in any medium metropolitan area there is someone with these in something if you ask around. This is an instance where anyone interested should use the internet to facilitate a new real life connection. My PCA chapter has a fairly active FB page. You should try them both.

Quick Reply: 2007 Cayman 987.1 Shifter Cable