Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Ferrari California - what's the deal here?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:35 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts
Default OT: Ferrari California - what's the deal here?

I know zero about Ferraris. So I ask. What is the deal with these Ferrari California's? Why are late model, low mileage examples of these absolutely beautiful $200K+ cars going for barely over $100K? Are they piles of crap?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Raky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but I have a friend that has a 458, I told him that I like the California and he mentioned that in Ferrari circles it is known as a "girl's car." While that doesn't bother me one bit, I wonder if that is part of the reasoning.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:04 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raky
Not sure but I have a friend that has a 458, I told him that I like the California and he mentioned that in Ferrari circles it is known as a "girl's car." While that doesn't bother me one bit, I wonder if that is part of the reasoning.
I've done a bit of snooping over at Ferrari chat and it appears the answer to my question may be that pre-2012 California's are afflicted by a common DCT failure that costs gobs and gobs of $$ to repair. Apparently, certain early-to-fail sensors are installed internal to the gearbox and not replaceable individually. In order to do even a simple repair you must buy one level or another of the "repair kit" that is somewhere between $7,000 or so and $25,000 depending on which "tier" failure occurs. If the gearbox is junk, you're looking at a $35,000 part.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not only that the handling is porky let's put it that way. The new Portofino is a proper replacement. That would probably be why the California prices have dropped.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:51 AM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a 2014 California. It looks great, sounds great, has decent power, but handles like an SL Mercedes... which isn't really a bad thing considering it's intended use.

I'd say it's the cost of maintenance that scares people away from used Ferrari's, though they have been getting more affordable to own in recent years.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:24 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

I believe the original problem with the DCT is that the sensors which fail couldn't be replaced and you had to buy a new $25,000 transmission. These apparently can now be repaired You still have very expensive repairs on other items though such as $7,000 to $10,000 for a replacement set of headlights which are crap, numerous moving parts for the convertible top and so on. I drove one and loved it but would probably park it in my living room if I bought one and drive my Porsche.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Californias aren't objectively good cars and many were purchased to earn points with Ferrari. They are also old and uncollectible cars which is why they have sufficiently depreciated.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

The Jaguar F type is a better California than the California. Mostly Maserati handling and not 458 type powerband.

The Cali T is a more aggressive looking car but your 100k is better spent on a Boxster Spyder or a GT4 or a depreciated 911 Turbo Cab
Old 04-22-2018, 12:10 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow. It's the Rennlist Ferrari California appreciation thread! What I've noticed, and this also applies to the FF, about the Cali is that the biggest detractors seem to be people who've never driven one, but have heard about it from a friend of a friend, or read about out in an Internet chat list. I have one, 2011, and it's a blast to drive IMO. Different enough from my 911, that I enjoy them both immensely, but definitely the Cali is more of a GT driving experience than the mid engine V8s. Drive it, you might enjoy it. Or, not...T
Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 AM
Deepbluejh
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a front engined, entry level Ferrari that lacks the pedigree and panache of their more exotic mid-engined counterparts. It's the Ferarri that the company "makes" you buy before you're granted the privilege of buying one of their higher end sports cars (488, etc). No real enthusiast really wants a front engine Ferrari kind of like no real enthusiast really wants a front engine Porsche.

For all of those reasons, depreciation hits this car harder than other Ferrari models.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepbluejh
It's a front engined, entry level Ferrari that lacks the pedigree and panache of their more exotic mid-engined counterparts. It's the Ferarri that the company "makes" you buy before you're granted the privilege of buying one of their higher end sports cars (488, etc). No real enthusiast really wants a front engine Ferrari kind of like no real enthusiast really wants a front engine Porsche.

For all of those reasons, depreciation hits this car harder than other Ferrari models.
I like front engined Ferrari's but only with a V12 and 2 seats.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Wow. It's the Rennlist Ferrari California appreciation thread! What I've noticed, and this also applies to the FF, about the Cali is that the biggest detractors seem to be people who've never driven one, but have heard about it from a friend of a friend, or read about out in an Internet chat list. I have one, 2011, and it's a blast to drive IMO. Different enough from my 911, that I enjoy them both immensely, but definitely the Cali is more of a GT driving experience than the mid engine V8s. Drive it, you might enjoy it. Or, not...T
I love the FF, but don't particularly have any positive feelings toward the California.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by Deepbluejh

FYI, true Ferraris were always front engined and the Dino diluted the brand so that they became mid engined. Real Ferrari enthusiasts want front engined Ferraris such as 250s, 166, 275, etc.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Drive it, you might enjoy it. Or, not...T
I have no doubt I'd enjoy it. It sure is easy on the eyes. My cars lead a charmed life. Cruising up and down the coast, maybe a few winding mountain roads, an overnighter here and there. I buy 'em for looks as much, if not more than, performance. That's why I have a Spyder. lol
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
I love the FF, but don't particularly have any positive feelings toward the California.
Not trying to be argumentative, just curious, have you driven a Cali?

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
FYI, true Ferraris were always front engined and the Dino diluted the brand so that they became mid engined. Real Ferrari enthusiasts want front engined Ferraris such as 250s, 166, 275, etc.
Real Ferrari enthusiasts...with oodles of cash!
But, I get ya. A 250 GTE would be my ultimate road trip car with the missus, pooch and all their luggage!
T

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Ferrari California - what's the deal here?