Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Cayman vs Boxster as a daily driver? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1041152-cayman-vs-boxster-as-a-daily-driver.html)

audi49 12-29-2017 12:02 PM

Cayman vs Boxster as a daily driver?

Considering a Cayman as a daily driver (I like the look of the Cayman better than the Boxster, and the useability of a hatch)... Having said that, I did drive a 2007 Cayman recently and as great as the car is, there is quite a bit of engine and exhaust noise under certain throttle and cruising conditions. (I know that that is part of the charm of the car.) So, regarding general noise levels, as a daily driver... is the Boxster actually quieter overall than a Cayman given that the engine is more 'external' than for the Cayman? (I have not yet driven a Boxster). Thanks for any info!

extanker 12-29-2017 01:18 PM

maybe the car you tried had an aftermarket exhaust....my 09 cay is very quiet

audi49 12-29-2017 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by extanker (Post 14698146)
maybe the car you tried had an aftermarket exhaust....my 09 cay is very quiet

Good comment. The owner said it had an optional double exhaust (pipe) as opposed to the standard single. The one i drove was a base model. Does the double round exhaust pipes option mean that the whole exhaust system is different (and maybe louder)?

extanker 12-29-2017 03:13 PM

i cannot say what that car has on it but from how you describe it ...it sounds [pun] like aftermarket drone .....mine is oem single outlet .

Spokayman 01-08-2018 01:34 AM

I find I notice the mechanical noise of my 987.1 Cayman S significantly more than I do in my 987.2 Boxster.
The size and shape of the Cayman greenhouse seems to channel the sound to the driver whereas there is no such enclosure in a Boxster to do so.
Besides the “human ear” test, I’ve used the rudimentary decibel meter on my cellphone to prove a several decibel increase in the Cayman.

JC Lacayo 01-09-2018 12:58 PM

With stock exhaust, a Cayman (S even), is a a great DD. I DD mine and cannot hear alot of exhaust noise, and the people on the outside like to hear it.

987cs 01-19-2018 04:13 PM

Agree with other posters, my stock cayman S is pretty quiet, especially with windows rolled up. Take it on long road trips and never bothers me. I'm actually contemplating an aftermarket exhaust for more noise.

ramans 01-26-2018 06:51 PM

I have an example of each both 981 S's, the boxster has a PSE and the Cayman stock exhaust. I'm contemplating changing the cayman to the PSE just so it will sound a bit better and make the fun poppy noises when you get off the gas, but with the PSE not activated I don't notice a lot of difference between the two, I find them both comfortable day to day.

inkatouring 01-28-2018 12:28 PM

My 981 Cayman S is my daily driver. With the x73 suspension, it's a little rougher than I want in hind-sight (that being 20/20 and all). There's a bit more tire noise than I'd like. But I love it. As I age I wonder if my nearing 60-year old body might prefer an M3 or such but wondering is all I've done in the four years I've owned the car......

Jack-Porsche 02-02-2018 04:02 PM

I do not daily drive my 2007 Cayman, but mainly that is because I live in a hilly area with bad winters, and also I have kids. Hockey bags, baseball gear, and big dogs don't fit well...nor do 4 people!
That said, I certainly could drive it daily. I find any noise to be pleasurable. Then again I also have an old Mustang and daily drive a Jeep Wrangler, so smiles and fun are more important to me than quiet.