Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose vs. Burmester sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the Dynaudio tweeter upgrade on my sound package plus system and it was a noticeable improvement. I did not like the PCM option for the GT4 so replaced the base radio with a Pioneer Nav unit. Was plug and play and the sound is decent. Helps that the Pioneer has more EQ options as well. This is all easily reversible if I resell the car.

I also disconnected the center speaker per Nick's recommendation from Musicar Northwest to improve the sound stage.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Must be in the minority- have never cared what kind of radio is in any of my P cars... one of my 914's doesn't even have a radio- can't hear it anyway!!

Usually have the top down with the Spyder in sport plus mode- who needs a radio????
Ditto. Who cares about a radio in a raw car with a great engine sound track? I'm even considering yanking mine and in stalling the "radio delete" box. I could use a little more storage.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

As an audiophile, paying $5k more is trivial... A single cable can cost more. So paying $5k for the Burmester is not a large sum... a Burmester system for the home will easily cost over $100k.
Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Each consumer will have to decide. It depends on the car you are specc'ing. If it's a high-end model then spending an extra $5k is not a big deal as a % of total price. But there is *some* improvement over the Bose from reading the above + the fact that $5k is a small price to pay for better audio gear (AMT tweeters are not cheap), means that I'm sold.
Will you get your money back when you sell? Probably. If the car's value is 50% off the new value, you'll probably get $2.5k more for a Burmester car vs non-Burmester, and/or it will sell faster since it's a rare option.
The following users liked this post:
triode (06-25-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I did a little write up on Musicar's stage 2 upgrade in the GT4 subforum, which might be helpful for you guys. This is an upgrade to the base package, which gets it up to and beyond the factory upgrade options:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1147...r-upgrade.html
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

So I went out for a drive in the Spyder yesterday, which has Bose. It sounds good. I'll say the high's are a bit too sharp, but other than that -- for the price, I am not sure I would option the Burm when ordering a 718 (if I did go that route, no plans as of today).

Then again, I also thought the Harmon Kardon system on the M4 was pretty damn decent, and others said it sucked. I am not an audio phile by any means, but I don't like the base system offered in the vehicle.

I do listen to music in the Spyder. I know folks talk about the engine sound and all of that, which I agree is amazing (especially with headers) -- but I still want good audio in my car when I'm in that mood.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:57 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

The definitive answer - Depends upon the quality of your ears and your preferences regarding playback. The quality of your ears is key. Have you actually checked how badly they've degraded from "normal"? Most people would be gobsmacked at how bad their hearing is. Only way to know is a real life audiogram. If you can't hear it - it doesn't matter.

Asking others for "Is it worth it" is completely futile - it's too subjective. Doesn't matter if I like vanilla when you're the one ordering the scoop.

Quick Reply: Bose vs. Burmester sound system?