Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Hacking the GTS Synposium Sound system ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1025881-hacking-the-gts-synposium-sound-system.html)

Richard. 09-19-2017 01:48 PM

Hacking the GTS Synposium Sound system ?

Has anyone done this to change the settings ?

erik_plus8 09-19-2017 02:03 PM

Yep. I put a plug in it.

Ryun43 09-19-2017 02:44 PM

Same here
Pulled down the carpet behind the passenger seat and stuffed some foam insulation in there.

Richard. 09-19-2017 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ryun43 (Post 14485196)
Same here
Pulled down the carpet behind the passenger seat and stuffed some foam insulation in there.

Girls I meant for more noise !:rockon:

DBH 09-19-2017 08:40 PM

The system is nothing more than a plastic pipe that runs from the intake to the engine bulkhead behind the passengers seat. I suppose the carpet on the bulkhead that covers the tube opening could be cut and removed to unmuffle some of the sound. otherwise I'm not sure there is anything else to be done.

ChicagoSpeed996 09-19-2017 09:16 PM

Does the GTS have more sound in the interior than an S? Does the S have a symposer?

erik_plus8 09-20-2017 01:47 AM

I think it's only the GTS of the 981:s that have a symposer. And I agree with DBH, although if you could get into the electronics, you could maybe change the engine speed/load at which the control valve opens. Not convinced that that necessarily would give you "more" (or nicer) noise though.

Richard. 09-20-2017 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by DBH (Post 14485969)
The system is nothing more than a plastic pipe that runs from the intake to the engine bulkhead behind the passengers seat. I suppose the carpet on the bulkhead that covers the tube opening could be cut and removed to unmuffle some of the sound. otherwise I'm not sure there is anything else to be done.

Thanks but then doesnt the sound pipe go into an electric speaker in the Bulkhead, anyone go a pic of the parts involved please ?

erik_plus8 09-20-2017 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No, no electronics involved, other than the control valve. Only pic I have is from the engine compartment. Follow the long hose to the right up to the bulkhead, there the hose just ends in an opening, behind the carpet.

erik_plus8 09-20-2017 10:09 AM

Each to their own, but I must admit I am a little surprised that you thought the symposer was a speaker based device (i.e. fake sound a la BMW M) and that you wanted "more" of that... When you have one of the sweetest, naturally sounding engines currently existing (or actually not anymore...) behind your back.

ChicagoSpeed996 09-20-2017 03:09 PM

Erikplus, do you have the a view of the part numbers?

Dr.Bill 09-20-2017 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by erik_plus8 (Post 14486819)
No, no electronics involved, other than the control valve. Only pic I have is from the engine compartment. Follow the long hose to the right up to the bulkhead, there the hose just ends in an opening, behind the carpet.

So if we were to remove that plastic hose we could get rid of the fake, artificially enhanced noise? Sweet!

erik_plus8 09-20-2017 03:50 PM

I checked the PETs I had on my laptop but no luck, they were for the 981S and GT4, sorry.

But why do you need part no:s? Are you thinking of after install? For me personally the symposer didn't add to the experience, quite the contrary. It's not artificial (as a speaker based system is), but it's just that the sound changes in character at a certain engine speed and I wanted a more natural progression of the sound. Hence, the plug in the system. I am sure the same result can be had by unplugging the connector to the control valve, but I wanted to avoid any risk of a CEL.

erik_plus8 09-20-2017 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill (Post 14487619)
So if we were to remove that plastic hose we could get rid of the fake, artificially enhanced noise? Sweet!

Well, as I just posted above, it is not a fake, artificial or enhanced noise. It really is the actual intake sound but short-circuited into the cockpit. The un-natural aspect for me is that it isn't there until it is. For me it felt strange. With the engine less than 50cm from my ears I have all the intake sound I need :)

But aside from that - yes!

(Although if you remove it you need to plug both ends, especially close to the intake manifold, upstream of the membrane (the big mushroom shaped thingy), because that would create huge leakages and a definite CEL...)

terbiumactivated 09-20-2017 07:08 PM

The hose needs an adjustable aperture, official acronym and a high price tag option. Porsche exclusive VSSS. (vario sucking sound system)