Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS5 Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:14 AM
baege
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 101 Posts
Default RS5 Experiences

So the latest in my transition from sports car to GT is a test drive of a 2015 Audi RS5.

I quite liked it. The engine is buttery smooth and sounds delicious. It is not torquey but neither is my current flat six. The transmission shifted crisply and quickly. The ride was more compliant than the x73 on my 981. Handling obviously was not even close, but I don't seem to care all that much.

I am thinking about making the move but would like to hear experiences of 987/981 folks with the RS5.

cheers
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

No experience with the RS5 but comparing the two is difficult. It's like comparing peanut butter and jelly, having just one may not be ideal but having both makes it a very tasty combination. So buy the RS5 and keep the 981 and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be just the guy for you. I traded a 2009 997.2 for a 2014 RS5, and then traded it for a 2015 Cayman GTS.

The RS5 is a very nice and fast car. Handling is excellent for the type of car it is. It's a very fun 4seater. But.

The RS5 is a noticeably heavier car than either the 997 or 981. It is not as "flickable" as either. That is, it doesn't feel as nimble, but is very fast in a straight line.

After about 10 months I missed my Porsche and started looking for a 991. Right at a year, I found a 981 GTS that I absolutely fell in love with. Traded in the RS5 when it was one year old and had 5k on the clock. Two years later, I still love the 981 and have no regrets.

One thing I really did not like about the RS5 was the way the rev matching sounded. Very artificial and obnoxious to me. The 981 burps and farts and gurgles are much better. The Prism Silver paint on it was probably the prettiest silver paint I've ever seen though.

We also owned a SQ5 for three years and really liked it. Just traded it for a Macan S. Perhaps it's the KoolAid.

Let me know if any specific questions.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

i drove an RS5 for about 18 months. Motor is awesome, wish I had that in my Porsches. Sounds that come out of that sport exhaust are also glorious. Fit and finish is also great. Really liked the car, but there were two big negatives to me that caused me to sell it:

1. Driving position (seat/pedal/steering wheel) is just slightly off and nowhere near as good as Porsche. The seat doesn't go low enough in the car for anyone 6'2" or taller, so you feel too high and the steering wheel angle is just plain wrong. It's too steep, even at it's lowest setting. Porsche has this spot on, Audi just doesn't get it right in the RS5.

2. Drive modes are both too much of what they are intended to be. In comfort mode, the throttle response and tranny control is very lazy, but in dynamic/sport it's too frenetic, with the downshifts way too harsh. They needed to either tone down dynamic a bit or have something in between. This kinda drove me nuts.

Oh, the suspension is rather firm and unadjustable.

If none of that bothers you, it's an awesome GT car. Very nice interior, nice stereo, lots of room and just an all around great performer. Handles better than a car it's weight should.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I test-drove an RS5 before buying the CGTS (curiosity), and didn't like it at all. First of all, the handling is attrocious, as expected from a FWD-based AWD platform (entire engine is ahead of the front axles). Car is way too heavy, and a lot of that weight is on the front wheels. Engine (NA V8) was nice, but the car just didn't do it for me at any level. Also on the negative column was the stupid moonroof with only a translucent cover, like MB cars. No way I'd tolerate that in hot TX. Finally, reliability on that V8 engine wasn't good at all, but it has been replaced by a force-induction V6, for what I've read. For that coin, I'd buy a RWD car myself, but to each his own. I'm just not an Audi guy, even though they're decent cars. Drive all your possible choices, do your research, and go from there. But coming from a 981, nothing at that level will compare in the performance department. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:08 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Totally different cars, man. I would not trade my 981S for any Audi except the R8, to be honest, just because they feel so heavy and luxury oriented rather than sporting and direct. I had a B8.5 S4 a few months ago (obviously not RS level, but still), and it felt like a pig compared to the Cayman except in a straight line. Even the R8 feels heavy compared to the 981's, having driven a V10 plus a few times. Horses for courses.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by elp_jc
. Finally, reliability on that V8 engine wasn't good at all, but it has been replaced by a force-induction V6, for what I've read. .
What are you talking about? There haven't been any reliability issues with that V8 at all. The 2015 RS5 had the new motor, not the old 4.2 V8 Audi had used before. The '15 RS5's power plant is based on the R8 V10 - basically that motor with two cylinders lopped off. It's an awesome motor.

And the new RS5 went TT for the same reason Porsche did with the 991.2, emissions/fuel standards. It had nothing to do with the unreliability of the motor.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:58 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

100% agree with Arch - for once
Motor is sublime if what you like is a NA V8.

A friend of mine bought one after we drove at Sonoma. Very solid, big GT car.
Did I mention great engine?
Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

I test drove RS5 multiple times but could not pull the trigger
reasons
1. Technology felt a little old
2. car felt heavy and handling was ok but not great
3.for the price, I felt that there are better options in the market place
Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Just something to consider, previous gen RS5 had V8, current RS5 has TT V6 and updated suspsnesion. I think a lot of comment above were last gen RS5.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

v8 rs5 - strengths - engine is a dream, lovely audi detailing. esp interior, practical trunk, comfortable /// weaknesses - car pushes like a pig when on it, HEAVY, poor body control... NOT in its element above 8/10th's

this car is a luxurious, comfortable, practical tool with sporty pretentions

981/987 is a sports car - IN ITS ELEMENT at 9 to 10/10ths... but as a 2 seater it has all its associated compromises
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 AM
baege
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for all the comments, sounds like the RS5 might offer what I am looking for.
I could feel the heft of the car and its lack of tossability compared to the 981CS but I don't seem to care. I getting to be less about the curves and more about a nice engine in a comfortable riding package...the RS5 seems to be a good option in that regard.
I am also considering the e92 M3 and f type coupe as alternatives..
Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Thanks for all the comments, sounds like the RS5 might offer what I am looking for.
I could feel the heft of the car and its lack of tossability compared to the 981CS but I don't seem to care. I getting to be less about the curves and more about a nice engine in a comfortable riding package...the RS5 seems to be a good option in that regard.
I am also considering the e92 M3 and f type coupe as alternatives..
E92 is a fun car to drive and the V8 is sweet. The current M4 is really fast and handles well should be able to pick up decent one used. I have a 2015 M4 convertible, but it's Turbo if you're looking for a NA motor. A few options out there if not sold on Audi. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Evolved Rs
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a e90, love the engine and very enjoyable car to drive. Recently dumped a M4 for a RS5. RS5 is not nearly as fast. Both are equally as numb, but I do not miss the M4 one bit. You can definitely feel the weight in the RS5 but it's also a very comfortable car with a good sized trunk and decent enough rear seating room for my 3yo. The only thing I miss from the M3/4 is the playfulness with having rwd.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by baege
I could feel the heft of the car and its lack of tossability compared to the 981CS but I don't seem to care. I getting to be less about the curves and more about a nice engine in a comfortable riding package...
Just be careful of that last part and make sure that you take a long test drive to ensure you get on with the suspension. That gen of the RS5 did not have the adjustable suspension on the cars that were sold in the U.S. It's a fairly firm ride with less than amazing damping characteristics. Compared to other GT cars out there, the ride quality is not what I'd call comfy.

I believe the new model does have the fully adjustable suspension. Shame it's now a TT and looks like it was styled by Lexus.

Quick Reply: RS5 Experiences