Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys use a battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:01 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

probably last at least couple of weeks
when cars are shipped from germany, I think the trip across the pond is roughly 2 weeks , and they don't use any tenders shipping ?????
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

yup
Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses
Can a CTEK unit plugged into the lighter bring a battery back to start the car (or at least pop the hood)?
The CTEK MUS 4.3 I have will tell you when the battery is charged enough to crank the car, but still not quite have 100% charge back into the battery. It does not have enough power to crank if the battery is so discharged it won't open the frunk. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it will provide enough power to allow opening the frunk with a dead battery.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses
Can a CTEK unit plugged into the lighter bring a battery back to start the car (or at least pop the hood)?
Originally Posted by okie981
The CTEK MUS 4.3 I have will tell you when the battery is charged enough to crank the car, but still not quite have 100% charge back into the battery. It does not have enough power to crank if the battery is so discharged it won't open the frunk. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it will provide enough power to allow opening the frunk with a dead battery.
CTEK makes models that have a supply mode, which is useful if you need to remove the battery but do not want to have to reset the ECU, or in the case of a dead or not charged enough battery, want to open the frunk. I do not believe the 4.3 has this feature.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:51 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I used to have BT+s and CTEKs, but found a much better unit in the Optimate6. Also have a top-of-the-line CTEK, but only use it when I need its deep desulphating mode. It's always been prone to issues, mainly not going into float mode (keeps charging), even when connected directly to the battery. Zero issues with the Optimate in years, which has 2 things none of the others have: You can charge a completely dead battery, and it can charge at up to 5A. I did install a pigtail directly to the battery, and routed it to the passenger corner at the base of the windshield. It's completely invisible, and no need to leave anything open. Plus as mentioned, it serves to open the frunk if battery ever goes flat. Car can sit for 3 weeks and still start, but that lengthy discharge is what permanently sulfates batteries. It's always better to charge it once a week, or 2 at the most. I never leave chargers connected, but I wouldn't be worried about leaving my Optimate. A CTEK? Hell yeah. The same unit that Porsche sells came with a Ferrari (with a Ferrari logo, obviously), and cooked the battery. Tried it again on a newer Ferrari, and found it still charging after several days, after functioning correctly before. That was the last time I used a CTEK charger. Now every car gets a pigtail installed, and use the Optimate, which also includes an automatic desulfating mode. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

It depends on the car. My 987 was fine through the cigarette lighter socket. Some newer models shut down the sockets after a time period. I connected my CTEK directly to the 981 battery using their connector kit.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:02 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

My BS is a late July 2015 build, so an early 2016 model. I can leave the CTEK MUS 4.3 connected to the cigarette socket by the passenger's foot, lock the car, and it will charge and maintain the battery without issue. I've heard the 12V power outlets in some 981 cars go to sleep after a period of time and aren't suitable for trickle charging. My GT4 (sold) was a late May 2016 build and it could be charged through the footwell power outlet just like my BS.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wife's car, over the winter, I leave it on the Porsche/CTEK unit via the cigarette lighter. She drives it too much during the warmer months to use it (daily).

My Cayman, I have a similar CTEK unit (WeatherTech branded). I've got the battery pigtails on it. Usually plug it in if it sits for more than a week.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 496 Posts

I drive mine pretty-much daily for 8+ months a year. The rest of the time I use a maintainer. Bought the Porsche-style/CTEK one from Pedro at a much lower price.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 07-21-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of these in the garage:
http://www.batterychargers.com/se-1275a/

I don't drive my 987.1 often, so after two weeks, I throw this on at the 2A trickle charge setting. If I'm in a jam, I can set it to 12A for 30 mins, then set it to 75A to help jump the car. It has come it handy a few time.

When the current battery dies, I'll switch to a Deka Dominator AGM battery. Great battery for the price.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased two Battery Minders model 1200 for my CR and 993. I had a Porsche branded CTEK on my CR and a year ago the original factory, maintenance-free battery blew up. The P-dealer checked the charger/maintainer and said, "Don't use it." I don't know if the charger failed and overcharged the battery or the battery developed a catastrophic short internally. The P-dealership was very aggressive in cleaning up the mess. The cost to clean the acid and replace the battery (some $1800 as I recall) was covered under comprehensive. Because we acted immediately there appears to be no residual damage from the acid. I've used the 1200 model now for over a year, and throughout last winter stored in my Car Bubble in an unheated garage, without a problem. It seems to be "smarter" than the CTEK that it replaced.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, CTEK MUS 4.3.

Bought this kit, has everything but the kitchen sink:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have the same and agree!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
I know a lot of us probably let our cars sit in the garage but I had a few questions -

Are you guys using a tender? Any recommendations?

Would disconnecting the battery be okay?

I'll most likely be letting the car sit 2-3 weeks at a time (Work keeps me busy) and wanted to avoid the battery dying on me. Figured I'd ask here!
I drive my car at least once every 2 weeks and it starts up every time, no problem. The worst thing that happens if the car is sitting in the garage for more than a week undriven, the pressure sensor release on the frunk and rear hatch may not respond but they both will pop open when I use the remote.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My BS is a late July 2015 build, so an early 2016 model. I can leave the CTEK MUS 4.3 connected to the cigarette socket by the passenger's foot, lock the car, and it will charge and maintain the battery without issue. I've heard the 12V power outlets in some 981 cars go to sleep after a period of time and aren't suitable for trickle charging. My GT4 (sold) was a late May 2016 build and it could be charged through the footwell power outlet just like my BS.
Absolutely correct. The inputs in my '16 981S die after around 20 minutes. This was a feature of the later cars, apparently. There are a number of earlier posts on this issue. So I have connectors mounted on the battery and the ground which allows for a direct charge using my CTEK MUS 4.3. I have let it charge for over a month at a time when stored in the winter.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 AM
Roundabout
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I use the standard Porsche (CTEK) charger in the cigarette lighter. Works great. Part No. 955 044 900 54.

Amen. Skeptical as to whether it would live up to all the praise I'd heard and read about it, but it does. Extremely well engineered and manufactured. Besides replacing my OEM pirellis with Michelins on my GTS at only 2000 miles (Why waste some of the car's best times- first 15,000 miles- with it riding on awful tires?), the CTEK has been the next best purchase i've made in connection with the car.

Quick Reply: Do you guys use a battery tender?