Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems driving 2016 Spyder in San Francisco?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from SF. Was driving an Audi S5 but all the time I was thinking I couldn't drive the Spyder here.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 PM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily drive a 2014 Base Boxster in SF. I have no problems but I won't say I haven't scraped. And the Spider is considerably lower (20mm?) than the base suspension. I think the bigger problem is the stick in the City, which is why I have the PDK.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:15 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

New York City was a bit of a nightmare. I used the car only for excursions once every couple months.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by kahane18
Why are you worried about a $269.00 (Suncoast) part which is easily replaceable? I'll bet the roads in NYC are worse.
Replaced one on my GT4 in 30 minutes.

Drive it and enjoy.....
I don't think he's worried about the lip. He's worried about ripping off the entire bumper.

My opinion is that, yes, it can be done, but only if you have the ability/flexibility to alter your route/parking location whenever necessary. For example, there are some lots/garages you simply won't be able to park in without destroying the lip. Need to be able to avoid those. The streets themselves are probably navigable enough without losing a bumper. I drove my X73 CS in SF a number of times with no issues, and my Spyder was about the same drop up front, but I'm really careful about angling everything. That said, I don't think I'd DD a Spyder in SF myself.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

I live in SF and the Spyder is a handful around town because it is so low (many chin scrapes) and I have already ruined one tire on a pothole. It is not my daily driver, which makes it manageable I would reconsider another car if this is a DD.
The following users liked this post:
Pmorritt (07-13-2019)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I have been commuting to downtown San Francisco for years now (from Marin), and did so with my 987 Boxster Spyder for six plus years, and now do so with my GT4. I don't think I have scraped my front spoiler (in either car) in the city, ever. One issue right now relates to potholes in the city -- given the heavy recent rains, the roads are a mess. But, I know where the potholes are (on my route) and avoid them! Bottom line -- a Boxster Spyder and GT4 definitely can work as a daily driver (in San Francisco).
Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

Fair enough: If you have a set commute route into / out of SF like zellamsee does, and it is a good route, then go for it. But if you have to drive around the inside of the City a lot (into / out of different neighborhoods and the like) I would get something else. Like I said: I LIVE in SF and I only use my Spyder to commute out of the City to my office. In and around town I prefer my '71 02 tii: great visibility, easy to park, good in the twisties (READ: avoiding ****ty out-of-town drivers, especially on the weekends) and takes pot holes with aplomb.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:07 PM
mrandell
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

The only people who drive in San Francisco are UBER Drivers and tourists. I've driven a Boxster S around there and it's hell on those steep hills at red lights. The clutch isn't grippy enough to execute a simple hill start. Roads are terrible and you may scrape on those big hills in Chinatown.

Irony is that area has the best driving roads in the U.S. I'm in SD and we don't have anything like Skyline or Hwy 9. Also, the traffic around halfmoon bay and that whole area on weekends is terrible. There's a reason you see so many motorcycles in the area.

Between the maintenance you'll be paying on a DD for so many "not fun" miles and all the anxiety driving around that area, I would pass.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I don't daily mine, it's a weekend car for leaving the city, although my fiancée sneakily takes it sometimes.

I would say the issue is the potholes, for low profile tires which affect many cars. The front doesn't scrape except when coming into a garage sometimes... but on spyder it's smooth plastic apron underneath, unlike on gt4. I have driven even in pacific heights, and aside from the steepest hill transitions where I do a little crabbing, the suspension is so well damped that it's not an issue. I would say the problem is really no different than any low profile tire taught suspension sports car.. the pot holes will get you, not the steepness. Buy the spyder if you find one you like, it's a dream machine.

We have so many amazing empty twisty roads in the area, it would a crime not to enjoy it. Be it down by half moon bay, or heading up by hills around napa, we do so many fun drives. It's not like SoCal with crazy traffic.. outside of highways, there is endless fun to be had. Don't let any concern stop you from buying your dream car.. this is mecca for it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 PM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

I am cottoning to CliffJumper RS's plan: get a CPO VW GTI (or better yet, a Golf R) and "drive it like you stole it" in SF. Go BABY Go.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
doesn't Calexio DD his Spyder in SF? surprised he hasn't commented.
He does live in SF but is in Italy right now planning his wedding I believe
Never heard him comment about issues driving locally
Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
He does live in SF but is in Italy right now planning his wedding I believe
Never heard him comment about issues driving locally
I did comment above :-).

Done with the wedding planning, fiancé went back to Cali, my buddies joined me in Istanbul, now we party a little.. #lessrennlistmoreparty
Attached Images     
Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleted - posted in wrong thread!

Last edited by MagicRat; 11-27-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 AM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I have been commuting to downtown San Francisco for years now (from Marin)...
Yeah, the commute from Zell am See would be a bit much. Is that where you're from?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:54 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I am not in my forum but read others occasionally. I drive my 996 to and from SF frequently and offer my two cents.

1. Other drivers in SF have forgotten about manual transmissions. They pull up to within a couple of inches at stops that are usually on steep grades. Plan on burning up your clutch in half the time as anywhere else.
2. The streets are not in as bad of shape (IMO) as others have stated. I have never hit a pot hole (just keep your eyes open) and have never scraped the bottom.
3. Finally, most parking garages in the city have valet parking. Not sure about the Spyder's or 997's but the 996 has a sensitive clutch (either in gear or not, any time under 7-10 mph your into the clutch). Do you really want a valet who makes minimum wage (and no experience driving our types of cars) parking your car in a garage that has zero clearance on all four sides of your car? again, just my opinion.

Last edited by texcwa; 11-26-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems driving 2016 Spyder in San Francisco?