Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one driving on ExtremeContact Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Conti ECS

Had them installed on new to me '10 Boxster S in Charleston before 13 hour drive back to Chicago in late Feb. did Tail of the Dragon ( encountered 1 vehicle-memorable at 8:30 am 65 debrees
Old 06-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

Ive got over 5k miles on the tires. They are GREAT!

The grip once they are warmed up is very confidence inspiring. I have not broken them loose yet. Only have gotten traction control 2x (once road was wet). They start to squeal at the perfect time. Not unnecessarily but when i am about at my personal comfort limit they also let me know they are close. Like i said i havent found their limit on the street.

I have driven them on long desert highways and twisty mountain roads (wet and dry). They simply grip.

I have yet to have them hydroplane even in downpours at highway speeds.

They are smoother and quieter than the pzeros but they are still loudish (this is probably just the way it is in the cayman). In all honesty it all depends on road condition, naturally. When on a nice road they are silent.

I rate them just as good as my MPSS on my 911. Better than my PS2s on my corvette z06 and way better than the P Zeros that came on my cayman.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll highlight some things here:
Originally Posted by elp_jc
Totally different tires. It's like saying you don't like your VW, and somebody else replying they don't like their Porsche either. Same parent company, but different products.

The DWSs are an all-season tire (ultra high-performance, to be exact), while the Extreme Contact Sport is a summer tire (max summer tire, to also be precise), comparable to MPSSs, P Zeros, etc. Supposedly much quieter than MPSSs, and equally capable on performance testing.

Unfortunately, it wasn't compared to the newer MP4S, but I'm tempted to try the CECSs just for the quiet factor alone. Still have a few months to see how folks like them on their Caymans.
Well said. How can you infer the performance of a sport tire when you don't like an all-season snow tire?

That's the same as saying: "My Michelin A/S3 all-season snow tires suck when I track them on my GT3 up in Connecticut, so the PS4S must also suck".

Originally Posted by Yogi911
UPDATE:

Ive got over 5k miles on the tires. They are GREAT!

The grip once they are warmed up is very confidence inspiring. I have not broken them loose yet. Only have gotten traction control 2x (once road was wet). They start to squeal at the perfect time. Not unnecessarily but when i am about at my personal comfort limit they also let me know they are close. Like i said i havent found their limit on the street.

I have driven them on long desert highways and twisty mountain roads (wet and dry). They simply grip.

I have yet to have them hydroplane even in downpours at highway speeds.

They are smoother and quieter than the pzeros but they are still loudish (this is probably just the way it is in the cayman). In all honesty it all depends on road condition, naturally. When on a nice road they are silent.

I rate them just as good as my MPSS on my 911. Better than my PS2s on my corvette z06 and way better than the P Zeros that came on my cayman.
I'm not a fan of PZeros. They dont have great feel, suck when cold, have terrible break-away characteristics, louder, etc... PSS/PS4S/ECS are far better in every aspect over the PZero.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I participated in the Michelin Drive and Compare at the Parade in Spokane last week. I'd wait for the Michelins.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Here's a test from Tire Rack...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223
Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Mounted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 19" sizes on my '05 Boxster S last night. Will try to report on them as time rolls on. These replaced a very worn set of Michelin PS2 N2's that had clocked a whopping 20+k miles.

When new, the PS2 N2's were near amazing in the rain. Can only hope the new 4S's are as good or better. Who'd've thunk a soft top car with wide tires could be, perhaps, the best rain car I've ever owned. Car and tires worked that good together.

Stock pressures, street car, etc. More to come.

Dave in Chicago
'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA
Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had PS2's on most of my rides for several years now, however the thought of saving a little money is appealing. Looked at the new Continentals, but price-wise there was not a huge difference over the PS4s.

New set of PS4's are now sitting in my garage waiting to go... They were supposed to get installed before a full day track event and long story they didn't. I've got enough on my RE01's that came with current car for a couple more short track sessions and will swap out after that and report. I expect them to be just about perfect!

Quick Reply: Any one driving on ExtremeContact Sport