Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hikari LED XHP50 9600lm/pair Install

Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hikari LED XHP50 9600lm/pair Install

My 981 came with the stock halogen headlamps, and they weren't even particularly good halogen lamps. Honestly, it's embarrassing that Porsche would include these, even as 'standard'... and so for those reading who have an inclination toward buying things as they like them rather than modifying them to taste, I do recommend ensuring you get at least the bi-xenon lamps in your builds. For those willing to do a little aftermarket work, the halogens are easily upgraded as follows.

1. Watch "Cayman Videos" instruction guide for removing the lamps. It's easy, but this is great and to-the-point review:
... note that "Cayman Videos" is using a different LED than I used, but it's also a highly-reviewed model, so there are apparently at least two which work error-free in the 981.

2. Remove the collars on each of the LED units... they are black plastic, and can be removed by about a quarter-turn, then lift.

3. Remove the stock H7 halogen bulb by unplugging the unit, then pushing up the clip holding it to the mounting plate.

3. Install the black plastic LED collar and clip it down using the stock clip.

4. Install the Hikari LED unit, turn until seated. Plug in to the harness. Proper polarity for me was the "blank" side (does not have the text "SL" on it) of the Hikari plug interfacing as pictured with the elbow connector on the 981 lamp. This, you may need to test if you get other lamps. Polarity matters for LEDs, but it's not destructive to test them briefly.

5. Ziptie the Hikari LED unit wiring to the existing wiring mount points. I made sure the resistor / control board wasn't touching anything plastic as I did my ziptie job, since I do not know how hot it gets (though it shouldn't be getting that hot, really). Also, though it is not pictured below, I trimmed all my ziptie ends to have less stuff floating around in the unit.

6. Seal headlights up again, reinstall, test beam pattern.

My beam pattern was identical to the stock halogens. Absolutely identical. There's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt on the internet about LED headlights and beam patterns. I think some of this is from before they were a tested and properly developed technology, and some of it is from people using non-projector lights. This is my first LED install, so I can't say for sure, but these indeed do work properly, and they are far brighter than the halogens that came with the car.
Attached Images           
Old 02-28-2017, 05:15 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

I ordered the same bulbs a few days ago

I have a 987.1 S, how did you test polarity?

Are there any directions in the packaging for polarity testing?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Thanks to your post, I have finally gotten rid of the horrid halogen lamps.

These LEDs are FAR brighter than the stock halogens, no question.

LED Spars only:

LED Head lights: (H7)

Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I ordered the same bulbs a few days ago

I have a 987.1 S, how did you test polarity?

Are there any directions in the packaging for polarity testing?
Nah, no directions, I just took a guess. Again, it's not a problem to test... the LEDs have polarity protection, they just won't work.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Also, looking good there desmotesta! Quite a bit of light. Were they aimed properly, as well?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:06 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do we need the CANBUS resistors to got with these LED kits? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the new Phillips Lumileds version of this kit.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:25 AM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygetic
My 981 came with the stock halogen headlamps, and they weren't even particularly good halogen lamps. Honestly, it's embarrassing that Porsche would include these, even as 'standard'... and so for those reading who have an inclination toward buying things as they like them rather than modifying them to taste, I do recommend ensuring you get at least the bi-xenon lamps in your builds. For those willing to do a little aftermarket work, the halogens are easily upgraded as follows.

1. Watch "Cayman Videos" instruction guide for removing the lamps. It's easy, but this is great and to-the-point review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRdfaNlLwG0 ... note that "Cayman Videos" is using a different LED than I used, but it's also a highly-reviewed model, so there are apparently at least two which work error-free in the 981.

2. Remove the collars on each of the LED units... they are black plastic, and can be removed by about a quarter-turn, then lift.

3. Remove the stock H7 halogen bulb by unplugging the unit, then pushing up the clip holding it to the mounting plate.

3. Install the black plastic LED collar and clip it down using the stock clip.

4. Install the Hikari LED unit, turn until seated. Plug in to the harness. Proper polarity for me was the "blank" side (does not have the text "SL" on it) of the Hikari plug interfacing as pictured with the elbow connector on the 981 lamp. This, you may need to test if you get other lamps. Polarity matters for LEDs, but it's not destructive to test them briefly.

5. Ziptie the Hikari LED unit wiring to the existing wiring mount points. I made sure the resistor / control board wasn't touching anything plastic as I did my ziptie job, since I do not know how hot it gets (though it shouldn't be getting that hot, really). Also, though it is not pictured below, I trimmed all my ziptie ends to have less stuff floating around in the unit.

6. Seal headlights up again, reinstall, test beam pattern.

My beam pattern was identical to the stock halogens. Absolutely identical. There's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt on the internet about LED headlights and beam patterns. I think some of this is from before they were a tested and properly developed technology, and some of it is from people using non-projector lights. This is my first LED install, so I can't say for sure, but these indeed do work properly, and they are far brighter than the halogens that came with the car.
Great instructions. How is it working out after 2 years? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:31 PM
brentcd
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the info - I am installing them now. The low beam looks easy, but the high beam looks a bit harder. Any advice there?

Last edited by brentcd; 08-29-2021 at 01:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hikari LED XHP50 9600lm/pair Install