Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 reasons why a choose a Manual over a PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This argument reminds me of the claim my 944 wasn't a "real Porsche" nor were any other variants with two cylinders lopped off. Even today with turbo engines that silly argument is still in the discussion. I wonder how many of you are shifting your "not really Porsche cars" lol. For that matter, all of us with liquid cooling have "coolant blood on our hands" are are driving non Porsche cars too!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Anyone who argues that PDK isn't a good product and isn't in the spirit of Porsche is short sighted.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference for manual or PDK, they're both incredible and each has its benefits and shortcomings. As always, it's great to have the choice and I for one appreciate that Porsche isn't sitting on its laurels while everyone around them passes by. I'm also glad they haven't forgotten those that still like the old school stuff in their modern cars.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Anyone who argues that PDK isn't a good product and isn't in the spirit of Porsche is short sighted.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference for manual or PDK, they're both incredible and each has its benefits and shortcomings. As always, it's great to have the choice and I for one appreciate that Porsche isn't sitting on its laurels while everyone around them passes by. I'm also glad they haven't forgotten those that still like the old school stuff in their modern cars.
I agree!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Referring to a manual transmission as "old school" is rather myopic. One could argue the same with respect to choosing a 991 over a 981/982. The 981/982 is "clearly" the superior platform from an engineering point of view, yet some of us still prefer the "old school" 911. See how this works? One man's "old school" is another man's life choice...

It's pretty much universally accepted that the PDK is the best/smartest/quickest automatic transmission in the industry. Leave it to Porsche to achieve such performance from an automatic. Bravo, Porsche!

People often rationalize their purchase of a PDK by (rightly) siting it's incredible performance, which is superior to that of any manual transmission. But then, these same people drive around manually, or, more precisely, digitally (as in: using ones fingers) shifting their PDKs. Why do they do this, when Porsche and most professional testers tell all of us that PDK-equipped cars are faster when left in "D" and allowed to shift themselves?

The answer is that these people crave increased involvement in the operation of their vehicles, and they crave this involvement to such an extent that they're even willing to knowingly sacrifice a bit of ultimate speed for the sake of that increased involvement/enjoyment. Simply, they have more fun, and enjoy their cars more, when they shift for themselves.

This is one reason why the rest of us are willing to commit to an actual third pedal. We, too, care more about our enjoyment of our cars than we do about saving a split-second here or there.

Another reason is that some of us are not made of money, so we also take into account both the savings in purchase price (and depreciation) over a PDK, and our ability to maintain our manual transmissions in our own driveways.

The "less weight" argument proffered by many manual devotees is the real-world equivalent to the "shifts faster" argument by many PDK devotees...that is, it is factually true, but only to an extent that's functionally "lost in the noise" for things that will matter out on the highways and back roads of reality.

To each, his own...and thank Porsche that we still have a choice between the two!

Last edited by 1analguy; 03-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
To each, his own...and thank Porsche that we still have a choice between the two!
Yes, this is the heart of the issue! So glad Porsche gives us this choice -- and here's hoping we have it for at least the next few years.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

such a hard decision to make when buying a boxster. Manual or PDK....

The PDK is soo good! Yet, the manual is so fun in this car!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Referring to a manual transmission as "old school" is rather myopic. One could argue the same with respect to choosing a 991 over a 981/982. The 981/982 is "clearly" the superior platform from an engineering point of view, yet some of us still prefer the "old school" 911. See how this works? One man's "old school" is another man's life choice...

It's pretty much universally accepted that the PDK is the best/smartest/quickest automatic transmission in the industry. Leave it to Porsche to achieve such performance from an automatic. Bravo, Porsche!

People often rationalize their purchase of a PDK by (rightly) siting it's incredible performance, which is superior to that of any manual transmission. But then, these same people drive around manually, or, more precisely, digitally (as in: using ones fingers) shifting their PDKs. Why do they do this, when Porsche and most professional testers tell all of us that PDK-equipped cars are faster when left in "D" and allowed to shift themselves?

The answer is that these people crave increased involvement in the operation of their vehicles, and they crave this involvement to such an extent that they're even willing to knowingly sacrifice a bit of ultimate speed for the sake of that increased involvement/enjoyment. Simply, they have more fun, and enjoy their cars more, when they shift for themselves.

This is one reason why the rest of us are willing to commit to an actual third peddle. We, too, care more about our enjoyment of our cars than we do about saving a split-second here or there.

Another reason is that some of us are not made of money, so we also take into account both the savings in purchase price (and depreciation) over a PDK, and our ability to maintain our manual transmissions in our own driveways.

The "less weight" argument proffered by many manual devotees is the real-world equivalent to the "shifts faster" argument by many PDK devotees...that is, it is factually true, but only to an extent that's functionally "lost in the noise" for things that will matter out on the highways and back roads of reality.

It fails to amaze me - after all the testimonials and descriptions why people keep referring, more diss'ing, the PDK as an "automatic". It's a double-clutch, manually operated, transmission, that oh yeah - has an "automatic" function. Diss away non-believers all you want. I used to too.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It fails to amaze me - after all the testimonials and descriptions why people keep referring, more diss'ing, the PDK as an "automatic". It's a double-clutch, manually operated, transmission, that oh yeah - has an "automatic" function. Diss away non-believers all you want. I used to too.
Call it what you will. It's an extremely high tech, superb, laser-fast shifting automatic transmission. Last time I checked, a manual still required a third pedal. No dissing the PDK here - it's why so many manufacturers aren't making manuals anymore, and why the demand for PDK and similar transmissions is so high.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

There's a big difference driving a PDK as full auto than as an automated manual. Many of us exclusively drive in manual mode, where it's much closer to a manual. I'd had chosen a manual if 6th @ 3K rpm was good for at least 85 mph, but 72 is just ridiculous, since most of my miles on my toy cars are on trips. Heck, PDK in 6th does 74, and 108 in 7th. The truth is after owning it for a while, even if the manual was good for 85, I'd choose the PDK again. It's great to let my wife and daughters drive the car, and it's a fantastic transmission: it has parking, revmatches very aggressively, instant shifts, paddle neutral, and very nice paddle action. Plus no chance of overrevs, botched shifts, etc. As a hard-core manual guy, I was aprehensive at the beginning, but couldn't be happier now. It's clearly the superior transmission now, equal to any other exotic. The 6-sp manual is not top-dog anymore, with a rubbery shifter that leaves something to be desired. I hear the GT4/Spyder sihfter is improved. I'd definitely go that direction if I owned a manual.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Last I heard they did not make any Spyders with PDK except the first ones. I hope they never do, to me it makes the car that much more exclusive.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
The 6-sp manual is not top-dog anymore, with a rubbery shifter that leaves something to be desiredl.
lol... Ive got a manual and it shifts like a rifle bolt..

Errrm i assume you watched the video's at the begining of the thread on why the manual is great option... well may be i guess not.

Last edited by michaelscain; 03-16-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
"Dissing"? I wasted a good part of my post praising the PDK in order to avoid just this kind of reaction. People often conflate technology with capability. The terms "DCT", "slushbox", etc. merely describe the different technologies by which the "automatic" transmission function is achieved. The fact that the PDK is mechanically different from a single-clutch automatic, or even a conventional "slushbox", is irrelevant. If a transmission can shift gears by itself, it is an automatic transmission. Everyone in the industry realizes this...including Porsche. The fact that you seem to attach a negative connotation to the word "automatic" is not going to change that. The PDK is an automatic, but you feel that, since you can shift it with your finger tips, it must be considered a manual. By that definition, the transmission in my very first car, a 1964 Rambler Ambassador 2dr 990 (327 3-speed slushbox "automatic" with column shift) was a manual. Just like all the PDK owners who crave more involvement with their cars, I also used to drive around in the early 1970s shifting my automatic "manually". The PDK's shifter is more conducive to the practice, but it's just a matter of degrees. Of course the PDK is light years ahead in operation, efficiency, etc. but the premise is valid: they're both automatics. Choosing a manual in a new Porsche doesn't make someone "old school" or backward. It just signifies a more complete commitment to achieving the most involvement with the car that's possible in this day and age without caring if it will make the car meaninglessly "slower" on a race track.

Last edited by 1analguy; 03-24-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I was a kid, my dad had a '53 Desoto Firedome with a straight six and "Fluid Drive" transmission. It had a column shifter with P-N-R-D but it had a clutch! To shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, you simply put it in Drive, then when you reached your desired speed/RPM, you depressed the clutch and it shifted to the next highest gear. Was that an automatic or a manual? All I know, it was a mutt and didn't last long before Desoto replaced it with a full automatic. But it was pretty cool!!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelscain
lol... Ive got a manual and it shifts like a rifle bolt.
I'm used to better manual transmissions, like the Graziano, with rod linkages, not a cable one, like on Porsches. And that the shifter is rubbery is far from just my opinion; most testers have expressed the same opinion (except on GT cars). The good news is it's rubbery, but very precise.

If a transmission can shift gears by itself, it is an automatic transmission.
That's absolutely correct. I don't like when people try to defend their choice against reality. The manual tranny is not the best, but my PDK is an automatic, not an 'automated manual', that some folks use to justify it as a manual. Ha ha. It's the best DCT though, since it has a parking pawl, and it's one of the smoothest. But any good DCT has aggressive throttle blipping, plus basically instantaneous shifting up or down, which is very rewarding when driven manually (as opposed to most conventional ones).
Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Rod linkages are still actuating hydraulics, the feel of a clutch that is directly actuated without hydraulics is exceptional in it's grab point feedback. The old school, non hydraulic clutches had the best feel in my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: 3 reasons why a choose a Manual over a PDK