Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S vs Boxster S Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 981 Cayman S vs Boxster S Question?

I own a 2013 black (Boxster 981S) manual with PSE sports exhaust and I absolutely love it. I have owned a number of porsche i.e. a 944 S2 cab, two 987S boxsters and a 993 c2. Out of all these cars, i can say that the 981S is really in a league of its own and a joy to own.

But I cannot help thinking that I’m missing out on the (Cayman 981S) as it always get so much praise?

I’ve never driven one, can anyone put me out of my misery, is there any difference between these 2 cars apart from one has no roof?

Basically has anyone owned both? or driven both?

Has anyone swapped a 981BS for a 981CS?

Last edited by michaelscain; 01-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

pictures of my 981S
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
SoCal924
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding driving dynamics I doubt you'll notice much if any difference.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:08 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I have my 2016 CGTS and my brother's 2015 BGTS in my garage, both loaded to the gills and with X73, and other than my PDK feels smoother at very low speeds (there's an open PDK/DME campaign on my brother's car, to I assume fix that), they feel the same while driving. Just checked the Porsche specs, and min weight on both is listed as identical, which I find it a bit hard to believe, but maybe it is. The Boxster has 0.32 vs 0.31 CD, and its only a tenth slower on acceleration runs, so hardly something you can feel. The Cayman has a significant edge in cargo space at 10 vs 15 cu ft on paper, but you'd obscure your rear view to take advantage of that (I don't), so I'd say about the same with both trunks full without removing the cargo cover on the Cayman. The biggest difference for me is the huge blind spot with the top up (which would be the way I'd drive it most of the time, and therefore, why I don't like convertibles), so I feel more cramped inside. I also like the lines of the Cayman much better; it's simply stunning IMO. I haven't driven the BGTS hard, and I imagine the Cayman is slightly more rigid, but for practical purposes, both are dynamically the same. It boils down to which body shape you like better, and if you like convertibles. Even if I liked convertibles, the biggest detraction from the Boxster would be the canvas top, the extra risk of envy damage (blade), extra maintenance required, and the possibility of something going wrong with the roof mechanism, especially outside warranty. The good news is the top mechanism is very simple, with no movement of the base of the rear portion of the roof, so a lot less prone to issues, I'd say. If you like convertibles, just keep it and be happy. If you hardly ever use it with the top down, then you'd probably be happier with a Cayman. Feels a lot more airy inside, no blind spot, and also 0.5" more head room. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

If you can got a hold of the 9/14 Excellence magazine, they do a comparison of the BGTS and CGTS. Aside from the obvious hard/soft top I would say the two main differences would be performance oriented: the Cayman is more than twice as stiff as the Boxster (torsional stiffness of 40,000 Nm/degree vs 17,000 Nm/degree), and engine characteristics (Cayman has slightly more HP and it comes in a higher RPM).
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Found this great video comparing the 2 (which is almost exactly what I have in my garage, down to the wheels on both cars, except my Cayman is black): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilNqStfWwYQ . I have the impression the video cars were reversed from mine in the steering department. My Cayman has the 'PS+' (which is the German steering), and the Boxster the regular one. On the video, the guy says the steering is lighter on the Boxster, so I'd bet my house it's because of PS+, since I've driven with and without, and feels identical in both cars. I have to say I don't like light steerings, but the PS+ on my car is absolute perfection... and not light at all. The normal one on the Boxster feels artificially hard, and a little less rewarding to drive.

And this Porsche spec sheet also comparing the 2: http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/20...Cayman-GTS.pdf

That should be enough to make a decision. Ha ha. One last comment: my Cayman doesn't feel twice as rigid as the Boxster at all. A little, but not anywhere close to twice. I also don't feel the Boxster any softer than my car, both with X73 and 30-psi on all 8 tires (comfort pressure). Good luck OP.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

After test driving them both quite a few times, I opted for the Boxster. The only difference I noticed was cabin noise, the Cayman being the louder of the two, surprisingly.

But on reflection, not so surprisingly. The engine in the Cayman is inside a metal shell. But even with the lid up on the Boxster, it's a fabric top which will absorb some sound and no hatch for the sound to roll around in.

The 15hp difference, of course, but us mere mortals can't really feel that, so unless you're racing and need the 15 ponies, not a factor.

Ultimately, I decided we had an SUV (Cayenne) with a fixed roof and a pickup, so if we were going to get the sports car, we were going for the drop top. Glad we did.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is some difference in how the cabin feels and sound level which was well described above, but the mechanical feel and driving dynamics between an equivalently optioned Cayman vs Boxster will be very similar.
To me the decision about which one is preferred comes down to whether you want a convertible or not.
I have one of each (both 987 models), but if I could only have one it would be the Boxster as I truly enjoy convertible motoring. For me the choice between a Cayman and Boxster was made more difficult because I was smitten the first time I saw a 987 Cayman and I like it's styling better than the 987 Boxster. In the 981 generation, the Cayman lost something, IMO, and the Boxster gained it evening up the desirability somewhat for me.
If I used my cars for DE or track use (I don't) I would probably opt for the Cayman.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:20 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiahh
The only difference I noticed was cabin noise, the Cayman being the louder of the two, surprisingly.
I concur with that. Not that much difference, but I immediately noticed that too. However, haven't driven the Boxster on the highway. I'm curious about both the wind and drone noise levels on the highway in 7th. Will go with my brother to the mountains next weekend, so guess will find out there. Hey, the difference is only 10HP, not 15. And torque only 7. And since that's on top, only noticed at very high rpm, if at all.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

First hint of spring and I'm always glad I settled for the rag top.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

I own both 2016 BS and 2016 GT4. I've decided to sell the GT4 because I love the ragtop life and 1 car must go. I love how I can transform the car to a completely different personality by putting the top down, and simply at the touch of a button. I like the additional connection to the world around me and the car by hearing the glorious PSE on the BS in true surround sound. The only option my BS doesn't have that I wish it did is PASM, just to take that little bit of harshness off of ride quality on roads that aren't reasonably flat pavement. It's not uncomfortable though, I drove it 5,800 miles round trip from DFW to Jay Peak for the Porsche Parade last summer, took the scenic route. Here it is at the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire, and sitting on the golf course at Jay Peak right after winning 1st place at the Concours in the 981 class of 11 cars. There was a Spyder and GT4 in the class of 11.

My advice, if you like or love the experience of top-down driving, keep the Boxster. If you don't care about that or you want the ultimate in track car capability due to some additional chassis stiffness, you would be happier with a Cayman. The Cayman does have louder interior noise due to the space behind you trapping in the engine noise, as compared to the BS with the top up. With the top down, obviously you have more noise from wind and exhaust. But you can also smell the food cooking in restaurants when you drive by.....
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
grunt1ed (09-22-2023)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I (obviously) love the look and styling of the Boxster over the Cayman. In fact, I never considered it. Just didn't love the look - no question both great cars. I do love top down driving, but honestly I love the look of the 991 coupe over the convertible. The proportions just seem right, which I feel is true for the Boxster v the Cayman as well. You can't miss with any of them.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S vs Boxster S Question?