Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for 981 Boxster owners (GTS here)

Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Question for 981 Boxster owners (GTS here)

I have a 2016 Cayman GTS, and just got a 2015 Boxster GTS for my brother. Have 2 questions for now. I'm ordering a lot of crap for him, like front and rear cargo trays, clear markers, rubber floor mats, car cover, oil bag, sunshield, etc. But I need your help with 2 things:
1. Garage is stone cold, and I don't know if it's safe to open the top like that.
2. The reason I wanted to open the top is to install the 'netted' wind cover between the seats, which neccesitates dropping the top.

The entire reason for this thread is my brother doesn't want to install and remove that thing, so wants to leave it in place. The question for you guys is if the netted thing is bothersome for you while looking at the rearview mirror. I saw Porsche offers a clear (plexiglass maybe) blocker, and need to know if those on the same shoes opted for it or not. Hopefully it's okay to drop the top because car is a mess, and need to clean it, and it'd be easier with the top down. I'd raise it after a few hours, so it doesn't crease or get damaged because of the cold. Thank you in advance for your input and help.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I have lowered the top when is was 25 out, and headed off to cars and coffee. Should be fine...what's the low in El Paso tonight...low 40's?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:06 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by il pirata
what's the low in El Paso tonight...low 40's?
That was the high today. The low has been below freezing for a while. It's quite extreme here, since it's 100+ for months in summer. But at least we don't get much snow. Anyway, it's definitely less cold inside my insulated garage than outside, so thank you. Still better not to leave the top down for too long, no? I won't, at any rate.

Do you have the stock 'netted' wind blocker? Do you leave it in place with the top up? Does it bother you not seeing clearly outback? Will probably suggest to my brother to buy the damn clear one, and call it a day. No need to remove that one. I guess it needs to be in place, or buffeting could be worse. Will also buy the window spoilers that I have on my Cayman; they should help a little more. Thx.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I'm ordering a lot of crap for him, like front and rear cargo trays, clear markers, rubber floor mats, car cover, oil bag, sunshield, etc.
Sounds like you're really setting your brother up nicely! A couple of other do-dads you might want to add to your list (which you've probably already thought of):

1. Porsche battery charger/maintainer
2. Porsche touch up paint
3. COA
4. Valve stem caps w/Porsche crest (proven to reduce 0-60 times by 2/10s!)
5. License plate frame(s)
6. Porsche fuel cap with Aluminum Look Finish (pricey for what it is, but looks the biz - certainly better than the standard cap IMO)

But I need your help with 2 things:
1. Garage is stone cold, and I don't know if it's safe to open the top like that.
Bob is right. No issues with putting the top down.

The entire reason for this thread is my brother doesn't want to install and remove that thing, so wants to leave it in place. The question for you guys is if the netted thing is bothersome for you while looking at the rearview mirror.
Is this the "netted thing" you are referring to?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...DEFLECTOR.html

If so, then I think it's the same windscreen as what I have on the Spyder. I always leave mine in and, no, it isn't bothersome to me. It doesn't obstruct rear-view vision. Some find it cuts down on cockpit turbulence, but I can't really tell the difference.

Something tells me you and your brother are going to have some epic drives together in your respective Porsches. Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i find the stock mesh one fairly annoying on a dark, rainy day and at night. i'll probly get the clear one.

don't forget the bumper inlet screens
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Sounds like you're really setting your brother up nicely! A couple of other do-dads you might want to add to your list (which you've probably already thought of):

1. Porsche battery charger/maintainer
2. Porsche touch up paint
3. COA
4. Valve stem caps w/Porsche crest (proven to reduce 0-60 times by 2/10s!)
5. License plate frame(s)
6. Porsche fuel cap with Aluminum Look Finish (pricey for what it is, but looks the biz - certainly better than the standard cap IMO)
1. Done
2. Done
3. You can always get one of those - does it really matter??
4. Waste IMO
5. Done. I have always gotten these for all my cars - come in a variety of finishes http://www.autogold.com/plain_frames.htm
6. Done - love it

Best of luck with the GTS!!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW I removed the mesh wind screen from my Spyder and feel that the rear visibility is improved. I won't be putting it back in. I suppose that if one has a backup camera it would matter less.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:08 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

What's 'COA'? Can't think of anything. Yes, the screens are a must, but I'm a bit afraid of installing the Zunsport my car has because his car has the GTS exterior package, and it'll be almost impossible installing them without scratching the paint. I used blue tape and masking tape, and it was a disaster in both cases. The taps tore right thru both, and to remove the damn thing with the grilles installed was a royal PITA. I'll probably try using sheets of paper this time. And yes, still prefer those than having to remove the bumper. As far as the clear deflector, it's unfortunate Suncoast didn't make a better clear one, to avoid any drawbacks. I'll let him decide. Another option is just having that thing behind the seat, and install/remove as needed when top is down. Thank you all for your great help.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certificate of Authenticity - your cars "birth certificate" from Porsche.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave H.
I think the window sticker would be more the "birth certificate".

Certificate of Authenticity is a good substitute for the window sticker though if you don't have it.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a 2016 Cayman GTS, and just got a 2015 Boxster GTS for my brother. Have 2 questions for now. I'm ordering a lot of crap for him, like front and rear cargo trays, clear markers, rubber floor mats, car cover, oil bag, sunshield, etc. But I need your help with 2 things:
2. The reason I wanted to open the top is to install the 'netted' wind cover between the seats, which neccesitates dropping the top.

The entire reason for this thread is my brother doesn't want to install and remove that thing, so wants to leave it in place. The question for you guys is if the netted thing is bothersome for you while looking at the rearview mirror. I saw Porsche offers a clear (plexiglass maybe) blocker, and need to know if those on the same shoes opted for it or not. Hopefully it's okay to drop the top because car is a mess, and need to clean it, and it'd be easier with the top down. I'd raise it after a few hours, so it doesn't crease or get damaged because of the cold. Thank you in advance for your input and help.
Per the Owners Manual...

Convertible Top

Please see the chapter "CAR CARE INSTRUCTIONS" on page 186.

There is a risk of damage to the convertible top and convertible-top drive.

Do not operate convertible top:
At temperatures below 32 °F/0 °C.
When one side of the vehicle is on a curb, a lifting platform or a jack.
When items of luggage or other objects hinder the movement of the convertible top.
Ensure that no objects are located behind the roll-over bars.
Avoid frequent operation of the convertible top with the engine off; the vehicle battery will rapidly discharge.
When opening or closing the convertible top, ensure that there is sufficient clearance above it (e.g. in the garage).
To prevent damp stains and abrasion damage, retract the convertible top only when it is in a dry, clean state.
Park the vehicle in the shade if possible, since continuous exposure to the sun weathers textiles, rubber and colors.
The convertible top may only be operated when driving on a level surface.
The convertible top must not be operated in a strong head wind (above approx. 50 mph/80 km/h).
Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Thanks. I got one for my car, but this one didn't have it. At least it came with the window sticker, and the booklets and letter Porsche sends to original owners. Found out the original owner (a woman) sold the car 2 months after purchase, so my brother is the 3rd owner (geez), so maybe she got the COA after selling the car. I'm pretty sure it was because X73. A lot of women (and guys too) don't know these cars can come in many performance flavors.

Hey, one side comment. Noticed how much more aggressive (angle of attack) is the raised spoiler on my Cayman, compared to the Boxster (both GTSs). The Boxster looks almost flat, while mine looks about 25º. Probably on purpose due to different aerodynamics from hatch to convertible.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

For me, the mesh wind deflector interferes with rear vision too much.
I've never kept one in any convertible I've owned and never noticed that it really did anything anyway.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

It's a good bug catcher!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I'll answer your original question without suggesting more items to buy: No, the mesh wind defuser (or whatever it's called) doesn't bother me in any driving conditions. It's simply not an issue unless you want to make it one.

Can you see a bit clearer without it, or, presumably, with a clear one? Sure. But for me, it wouldn't be worth spending any money for the minimal improvement in seeing through the thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for 981 Boxster owners (GTS here)