Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor puller

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:16 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake rotor puller

I needed to replace my Stoptech rotors after two years on the car and was unable to pull the rotor/hat off the wheel hub by hand. The hat sits flat against the hub face and two years of modest corrosion was stuck tight. The rotors are 355mm (14") and there's no gear puller for that size (much less what it would cost) and I hate using a mallet on my car.

I made my own puller for $6 plus two 5" C clamps I had. A local scrap yard had a 13" 1.25" square bar and a 4" square 1/8" steel plate for the $6. After a little penetrating oil, the rotor/hat popped off with the puller. (The photo was taken after putting the new rotor on, hence the screws are installed.) To ensure I did not damage the rotor surface on the backside, I hot glued a large washer to each clamp face to provide a softer, rounded edge.

Re installing new Stoptech rotors, the process of separating the hat and rotor and reinstalling was straightforward. A note on installing the new rotor/hat on the wheel hub: the fit is tight and one needs to be careful not to get the hat canted as it goes over the hub.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

While I have encountered some stuck rotors over the years just a good whack with a soft hammer -- lead or even rubber -- on the back of the rotor pops the thing loose.

Brake rotor is held on to the hub by two flat head screws. These prevent the rotor from falling off the hub when the wheel is removed.

Did you remove these screws?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Were you replacing the rotors in the picture? They look new!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:23 AM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As mentioned in the original post, yes, this photo was taken with the new rotors in and with the screws re-installed. The puller worked so easily, I thought I'd share the idea.
Bern
Old 07-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Campbelljj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kokeln hats

Deleted

Last edited by Campbelljj; 07-27-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Deleted

Quick Reply: Brake rotor puller