Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche camaraderie?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm idling into my local Walmart to pick up 'bread 'n milk" and I see a mom attempting to control her elementary school-aged offspring who is leaping in my direction with a big grin and a waggin' Infinitely better than any flashing lights from a two-year leased Cayenne wannabe.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

My favorite was when I was driving my '14 Shelby and a beautiful blonde baby in the passenger seat of the car next to me rolled down her window and told me enthusiastically how much she loved my car. I smiled purdy big I'm certain and thanked her, just as I realized her daddy was in the driver's seat. Never get that kind of reaction in my Porsches.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Kids are the best. Nothing is better than seeing a group of 8-9 year old's lose their minds over your car. Awesome and hilarious at the same time. I really appreciate kind words from adults...but the raw reaction of kids is not matched.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:08 AM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadworrier
We have enough Caymans around that waves are not unusual even in crowded Northern Virginia (helps if you're on a two-lane road though). I do think a lot of the people in Boxsters, Cayennes, Macans, etc. are largely a different group, not belonging to PCA, etc.

I think those active in PCA are more likely to react to other Porsche owners, just from 8 years of experience, at least in the Potomac Region.
Eh, thhhhbpttt. I have a Boxster and a Cayenne GTS. I'm a member and a volunteer with PCA. What do you do for your local chapter?

I'll give you your lights flashing, a wave, and a thumbs up all in one: I'm sweeping your car group in my Cayenne GTS (that came with a stick). You're driving a C4S (with a Tip) and you have a flat tire. You have to choose what rides in your front passenger seat: your flat-tire-alloy or your wife. I pull your **** out of the ashes by not only taking your tire for you to the hotel, but using my built-in air compressor to inflate your temp spare.

Get over yourselves and let us all enjoy the Porsche family. You can keep your waves, smiles, thumbs-up, and headlight flashes to your pompous selves. We all express our appreciation for the Porsche family in different ways.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where I am, pretty much all acknowledge each other, especially those who have older P-cars and ragtops. The SUV crowd though seems to be oblivious to the friendliness with the exception of PCA members.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Pretty much nobody here acknowledges each other, even in 911's and Cayman's. We have a decent little PCA region, but randos on the road never wave.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by 981S2013
Eh, thhhhbpttt. I have a Boxster and a Cayenne GTS. I'm a member and a volunteer with PCA. What do you do for your local chapter?

I'll give you your lights flashing, a wave, and a thumbs up all in one: I'm sweeping your car group in my Cayenne GTS (that came with a stick). You're driving a C4S (with a Tip) and you have a flat tire. You have to choose what rides in your front passenger seat: your flat-tire-alloy or your wife. I pull your **** out of the ashes by not only taking your tire for you to the hotel, but using my built-in air compressor to inflate your temp spare.

Get over yourselves and let us all enjoy the Porsche family. You can keep your waves, smiles, thumbs-up, and headlight flashes to your pompous selves. We all express our appreciation for the Porsche family in different ways.
For some strange reason, a certain scene from the movie Stripes is coming to mind.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:55 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by 981S2013

I just love a good sweep!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Hmmmm...what police state do you live in that forbids a friendly wave??
I meant flashing lights.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 PM
diverdog
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Back in the day (1969-70) anyone driving any kind of sports car would flash and wave. I had a Sunbeam Alpine and would get a flash and wave from drivers of Alfas, MG's, Triumphs and yes even Porsches. Seeing another Sunbeam to flash at was a once a year occurrence! LOL Back then only enthusiasts bought sports cars. Today I rarely drive my 13 Boxter S and occasionally another Porsche owner will flash and wave. But I really don't care. Just because we bought the same marque it doesn't mean we have anything else in common. There is some truth to the old saw that the only difference between a Porsche and a porcupine is that with the Porsche the ****** are on the inside LOL If you want camaraderie go to enthusiast events PCA or other car club. I've found racers and DE's are the most friendly and least judgemental of Porsche owners. Very interesting people from all walks of life too. As a racer I'm interested in all kinds of high performance cars and don't look down on any marque. There are activities I don't understand the appeal of like drifting (the slow way around track) and concours (cars are made to drive not cleaned 8 hours a day) but if it floats your boat, go for it.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:15 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by diverdog
Back in the day (1969-70) anyone driving any kind of sports car would flash and wave. I had a Sunbeam Alpine and would get a flash and wave from drivers of Alfas, MG's, Triumphs and yes even Porsches. Seeing another Sunbeam to flash at was a once a year occurrence! LOL Back then only enthusiasts bought sports cars.
Yup, loved my Triumph TR3. Not many sports cars on the road back then but was sure to wave at all of them!
Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Seriously, if one had to flash at every Porsche or even 911, it would get as stupid and insignificant as it has become for motorcyclists.

I'm at Smokies at the moment and there is definitely no flashing.. would be very tiring.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

In my Spyder I drove right past a young black on black 718 owner in slow traffic. He didn't even look up or look over never mind a wave or smile. Maybe it's not cool to wave. Maybe he's always thinking "I wish my overseas parents would spring for a McLaren" or something. Odd.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Maybe he's always thinking "I wish my overseas parents would spring for a McLaren" or something.
I hear Vancouver is the exotic car capital of North America with many driven by kids that are just barely legal to drive. Gotta wonder what having so much at such a young age does to someone. This NYT article from last year touches upon the subject:

"Chinese Scions' Song: My Daddy's Rich and My Lamborghini's Good-Looking"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/w...nt-wealth.html
Old 04-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
In my Spyder I drove right past a young black on black 718 owner in slow traffic. He didn't even look up or look over never mind a wave or smile. Maybe it's not cool to wave. Maybe he's always thinking "I wish my overseas parents would spring for a McLaren" or something. Odd.
If they're Chinese, they probably only buy cars to show off. They aren't true car enthusiasts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche camaraderie?