Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche camaraderie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:58 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, guess I'll have to echo some of the above responses. Bought a new 914 back in 1974, and always waved and/or flashed lights at fellow Porsche owners. It also seemed like owning a Porsche was cool (even though I was constantly reminded that I didn't own a "real" Porsche), and I got nothing but positive feedback. Sold it in 1989 and was Porsche-less until 2014 when I bought a Cayman. These days I rarely get a return wave, the wife is embarrassed that we own a "status-symbol" car, and it seems the car of choice for every movie villain is a Porsche. I like my Cayman, but wow, very different experience these days, and one I was not expecting. Guess I need to hang around with more Porsche people.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Honestly, I never understood the need for acknowledgement or wave from another driver of the same car. Is it lonliness? Insecurity? Sometimes a person just doesn't want to wave or better yet...they're concentrating on the road and not looking at other cars or drivers, or they have stuff on their mind.

Some folks need to not take a lack of acknowledgement so personally.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:07 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a tradition born in the 50's with the 356 which was equipped with easy flash headlights. Very few cars and a smugness of exclusivity made it an easy to happen communication between those of us who "knew".
Through the 60's and 70's with the early 911s and 912s it continued. Many people adapted their 914s so the fog lights would flash so they could participate.
It began to die, or at least slide, in the 80s. From the 90s on it pretty much became nonexistent except for the cars and drivers that started it.
Today the exclusivity no longer exists. Having money is the driving force for owning a Porsche. Back then it was the we "knew".
Most flashers today are the early cars and the people who owned them. Many people I flash think I am warning them about the cop behind the sign around the next corner. Another dying courtesy.
We don't take it personally. We just know which motivation or which generation non flashers are of.
We know why they don't flash. They don't what we "knew".

Last edited by FLT951; 12-29-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:32 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
Is it lonliness? Insecurity? Sometimes a person just doesn't want to wave or better yet...they're concentrating on the road and not looking at other cars or drivers
Sorry off-topic, but you should ALWAYS pay attention to where other cars are in relation to you, front rear sides and better yet, two or three cars ahead and behind. In order to do this, well you need to actually look at the other cars, constantly check your mirrors, etc. Easy to tell if the car behind you is a van or a Porsche.

Racers used to (and still do) wave at each other or make other gestures during races, sort of a code to show your appreciation when they let you pass under a blue flag or congratulating a victory. I think part of the reason every person who has ever bought a Porsche bought a Porsche is the racing heritage of the brand. Being a "driver" and all, rather than a mere "passenger" in a transportation pod, and part of being a "driver" meant acknowledging other "drivers" that you encounter on the road with a nod or a wave.

So no, it's not insecurity or loneliness. It's heritage and tradition, which is slowly slipping away and giving way to bad drivers who care more about the Porsche as a status symbol and 0-60 times and HP and torque ratings than actually being a "driver."
Old 12-30-2016, 11:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
^Quote:^
However, there's a high degree of Porsche snobs and general douchebaggery that's more than evident than in other marques I've been associated with. You can typically find them hurling their condescending remarks from lofty ivory racing thrones. Those track rats look down on the "waxers" and "cruisers", as if by virtue of having more interest, time, or money to invest in DE somehow elevates the smell of their **** to that of a floral scent. Whatever. I didn't buy my car to please anyone's sensibilities.

Cars DO look like their drivers (or, is that dogs?)

Volvo and Saab. Very green, a bit paranoid, do the dishes without being asked, wear pullover shirts without
logos. have excellent manners, open the door for the passenger (all passengers).

Mercedes Benz. Professional career and at least one college degree. Never wear tennis or running shoes
unless they are playing tennis or running.

BMW. Very confused about whether they want a sports car or a sedan so ended up in neither. Mistakenly
believe they are as cool as Porsche and MB drivers who did know if they wanted a sports car or a
sedan. Don't mind driving a car designed by 3 committees in separate conference rooms. (Front
design, rear design, profile design) Then meet at noon to put 'em all together and make 'em fit.

Audi. Intellectual, fun, knowledgeable about car stuff and prefer a bit low key. The most evolved car buyers
on earth.

Jaguar. Loved sports cars in the 50's but have some grudge about Porsche. (Possibly the blitz.)

Ferrari. Believe that the costs of vehicle repairs are tax deductible. Love red. Have self esteem issues.
Meant to go to college but rich grandparents died before they enrolled.

Stepside pickups. Texans.

All other pickups. Have utility, construction or farming jobs.

All Japanese vehicles including so called sports cars. Do not understand Japans plot for revenge. Also,
BLEH!

American hot rods. The salt of the earth but in 10 years they will all be dead and American Graffiti out of
print.

All other American cars. GWB in collusion with the Arabs tried to make them obsolete so they could be
replaced by Hummers and SUVS. The family business you know. Saved by a sensible American
who thought jobs might be a good idea. Owners all work at the factory in those jobs and/or
are unsure how to get out of their generic lives.

Porsche. Mostly ashholls, Plicks and porcupines. (Otherwise there would be no porcupine, or plick behind
the wheel joke). They wave at each other, not because of exclusivity, but to acknowledge their
mutual smug plickery. Some of us aren't tho. Thanks to me and Jurgen Barth for that. Possibly
you, but, definitely Eduardo.

Disclaimer. My therapist made me write this because none of the 7 Porsches I encountered today blinked or waved.
I like most others on this forum own several cars. In addition to my Porsche, I also own an Audi and a MB. So it looks like I have a multiple personality disorder.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 AM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Spotted a very nice sounding 987 CR in Newport a couple days ago and threw him a thumbs up. Luckily I was in the GT4 and he did likewise
Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fast1.
You are probably onto something. At least there is no BMW in the mix,
For my own concern, I most recently had 3 Porsches, an Audi, a Subaru Outback and a Suzuki Samurai. Only the Porsches are left. I had to sell the others just in case I wrote what I wrote.
The sub and the sam were to tow behind the motorhome. I am now trying to figure out how to tow one of the Porsches four wheels down.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:34 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm feeling guilty for not showing up at a local event recently. I had intentions of going but I had more on my plate than I could chew with moving and all. Thing is that llife is complicated and sometimes there is no accounting for people's behavior.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^ You, along with Keith, Dave and Barbara, were all sorely missed but it's great to hear you are finally settled!

I think Afshin and Jerry are tentatively planning an interesting event for later this month or next so hopefully you can make that. Stay tuned and Happy New Year!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No more sub911 waves...

So today I was driving my red 991 on a beautiful country road between Bodega Bay and Petaluma in No Cal when I came across another red Porsche. Not knowing from a distance if it was a 911 or another sub 911 P care...I still had the instinct to flash my lights. We were both in a convertible red car.....he did nothing. THAT IS IT....from now on only 911 get my flash!!!! They are not worthy of my flash and the energy that it takes to flash.

As Rodney Dangerfield used to say....no respect.

Abe
Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh I am not a flasher or a waver but if someone likes my car I make it a point to wave back regardless of whatever they are driving. Likewise if I see a cool car I will wave and point out that I like their machine. That's about it for me. I ride and motorcyclists wave a lot more. Heck even Harley riders wave at me at times and I hate Harleys!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a smaller town in Nor Cal (way north of SF.) I wave at every P-Car, but, as others have said, I usually don't get waves from P-car SUV's or Panameras. But a 911 is almost a guaranteed wave (unless they're not paying attention.) When driving my truck I just blend in. Even other Tundra owners (what I drive) pretty much ignore me (they blend in.)

What's interesting, though, is because I'm in a smaller, less well-to-do community, pretty much any sweet car gets a wave or a thumbs up. I regularly give and receive such from Subies, tricked-out Hondas, nicer Audis, Chargers, etc. There's kind of a cool-car bond, regardless of gender or type of car. Probably just cuz they're more rare up here in the sticks.

I'm just a people lover and enjoy bonding over sweet rides, regardless of brand. But I never have car envy in my P-car. There is no substitute!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't flash or wave as that takes my attention away from the road, and I'm not sure of the legality.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
, and I'm not sure of the legality.
Hmmmm...what police state do you live in that forbids a friendly wave??
Old 04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

In so Cal, I get few waves or thumbs up from fellow 981 and 987 drivers. Most 911 guys and gals are generous with a friendly acknowledgement if you make eye contact. Old timers especially.

Quick Reply: Porsche camaraderie?