Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche camaraderie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
Caymannyc is the car color beige/gray?
The Cayman is basalt black/luxor beige
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver
Agreed, and you see that on runs and meets. Nothing but good stuff.

However, there's a high degree of Porsche snobs and general douchebaggery that's more than evident than in other marques I've been associated with. You can typically find them hurling their condescending remarks from lofty ivory racing thrones. Those track rats look down on the "waxers" and "cruisers", as if by virtue of having more interest, time, or money to invest in DE somehow elevates the smell of their **** to that of a floral scent. Whatever. I didn't buy my car to please anyone's sensibilities.

/end rant

I agree in principle but have had a completely opposite experience. The guys that actually track their Porsches have been MUCH easier for me to get along with than the "waxers" and "cruisers" But then the guys I track Porsches with are SCCA members and generally a younger crowd, and on the track, driving ability and lap times is king so all the typical BS "my car is more expensive than your car" nonsense never ever comes up.

I've owned Porsches for the past 7 or so years, and I can count on one hand the number of Porsche owners I've become friends with. And I go to car meets every single week. And I slow down and wave to every Porsche I see. I roll down my window to say hi.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from the corvette world i do feel like some porsche owners have a more elitist attitude. I have found a love for porsche and the engineering and build quality but i will never look down on someones car due to price to enter. I even like guys in the camaro/mustang crowd.

That being said ive never met a GTR owner i liked.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Eduardo- when you get back from cold freezing Seattle,
we need to get our north Scottsdale toys together...

We can flash or wave to our hearts content!!!
I am back in sunny Scottsdale! Let's touch base soon!

Originally Posted by Yogi911
Look how much bigger the modern gt3 is. Haha just
like the rest of society, we are getting fat.
Yes, the 991 gt3 with the wider 4S body is indeed large. But
what I find particularly interesting is how wide the 914
is compared to a 911 of its day!

Take a look....

The 1973 914 width is 65 inches.
The 1970 911 width is 63.39 inches.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Roadworrier
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 67 Posts

We have enough Caymans around that waves are not unusual even in crowded Northern Virginia (helps if you're on a two-lane road though). I do think a lot of the people in Boxsters, Cayennes, Macans, etc. are largely a different group, not belonging to PCA, etc.

I think those active in PCA are more likely to react to other Porsche owners, just from 8 years of experience, at least in the Potomac Region.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Holy crap! A guy in a Panamera honked at me today! It shocked me! Whoo hoo!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honked!? Classless!
Double tap ok. Honk! Not so.
SMIRK!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Thank you for doing that for me in my 'Ravenna Green' 914!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in a freezing cold/wet Seattle!
you have great taste in colors!

life's too short to drive boring (colored) cars.

enjoy in good health!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 PM
backeddy
Advanced

However, there's a high degree of Porsche snobs and general douchebaggery that's more than evident than in other marques I've been associated with. You can typically find them hurling their condescending remarks from lofty ivory racing thrones. Those track rats look down on the "waxers" and "cruisers", as if by virtue of having more interest, time, or money to invest in DE somehow elevates the smell of their **** to that of a floral scent. Whatever. I didn't buy my car to please anyone's sensibilities.
I think you got this backwards.....I have no $$$ to invest BECAUSE I am a track rat. I also volunteer my time and car to instruct those new to the track, when do you think the last time a "waxer" offered to detail my car for me was?
Old 12-23-2016, 03:45 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

^Quote:^

Cars DO look like their drivers (or, is that dogs?)

Volvo and Saab. Very green, a bit paranoid, do the dishes without being asked, wear pullover shirts without
logos. have excellent manners, open the door for the passenger (all passengers).

Mercedes Benz. Professional career and at least one college degree. Never wear tennis or running shoes
unless they are playing tennis or running.

BMW. Very confused about whether they want a sports car or a sedan so ended up in neither. Mistakenly
believe they are as cool as Porsche and MB drivers who did know if they wanted a sports car or a
sedan. Don't mind driving a car designed by 3 committees in separate conference rooms. (Front
design, rear design, profile design) Then meet at noon to put 'em all together and make 'em fit.

Audi. Intellectual, fun, knowledgeable about car stuff and prefer a bit low key. The most evolved car buyers
on earth.

Jaguar. Loved sports cars in the 50's but have some grudge about Porsche. (Possibly the blitz.)

Ferrari. Believe that the costs of vehicle repairs are tax deductible. Love red. Have self esteem issues.
Meant to go to college but rich grandparents died before they enrolled.

Stepside pickups. Texans.

All other pickups. Have utility, construction or farming jobs.

All Japanese vehicles including so called sports cars. Do not understand Japans plot for revenge. Also,
BLEH!

American hot rods. The salt of the earth but in 10 years they will all be dead and American Graffiti out of
print.

All other American cars. GWB in collusion with the Arabs tried to make them obsolete so they could be
replaced by Hummers and SUVS. The family business you know. Saved by a sensible American
who thought jobs might be a good idea. Owners all work at the factory in those jobs and/or
are unsure how to get out of their generic lives.

Porsche. Mostly ashholls, Plicks and porcupines. (Otherwise there would be no porcupine, or plick behind
the wheel joke). They wave at each other, not because of exclusivity, but to acknowledge their
mutual smug plickery. Some of us aren't tho. Thanks to me and Jurgen Barth for that. Possibly
you, but, definitely Eduardo.

Disclaimer. My therapist made me write this because none of the 7 Porsches I encountered today blinked or waved.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:16 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

South Florida here - I can't even get a fellow GT4 owner to flash/wave back!

The air cooled 911 guys do acknowledge me, though
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Hmmm I have a Volvo and Porsche which seems very counterintuitive according to FLT951
Old 12-23-2016, 08:36 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Hmmm I have a Volvo and Porsche which seems very counterintuitive according to FLT951

Me too, me too!

Also, the better half owns an Audi. So much for "...knowledgeable about car stuff..."
Old 12-24-2016, 01:09 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

No accounting for the Volvo/Porsche conflict. As to the Audi, the cars ooze that smart, classy people buy them. Knowledge of cars not an abso to get the message. The cars speak to a privileged few. Your wife has power. She'll have you out of that Volvo soon enough.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:18 PM
whatevva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951

Volvo and Saab. Very green, a bit paranoid, do the dishes without being asked, wear pullover shirts without
logos. have excellent manners, open the door for the passenger (all passengers).

Mercedes Benz. Professional career and at least one college degree. Never wear tennis or running shoes
unless they are playing tennis or running.

BMW. Very confused about whether they want a sports car or a sedan so ended up in neither. Mistakenly
believe they are as cool as Porsche and MB drivers who did know if they wanted a sports car or a
sedan. Don't mind driving a car designed by 3 committees in separate conference rooms. (Front
design, rear design, profile design) Then meet at noon to put 'em all together and make 'em fit.

Audi. Intellectual, fun, knowledgeable about car stuff and prefer a bit low key. The most evolved car buyers
on earth.

Jaguar. Loved sports cars in the 50's but have some grudge about Porsche. (Possibly the blitz.)

Ferrari. Believe that the costs of vehicle repairs are tax deductible. Love red. Have self esteem issues.
Meant to go to college but rich grandparents died before they enrolled.

Stepside pickups. Texans.

All other pickups. Have utility, construction or farming jobs.

All Japanese vehicles including so called sports cars. Do not understand Japans plot for revenge. Also,
BLEH!

American hot rods. The salt of the earth but in 10 years they will all be dead and American Graffiti out of
print.

All other American cars. GWB in collusion with the Arabs tried to make them obsolete so they could be
replaced by Hummers and SUVS. The family business you know. Saved by a sensible American
who thought jobs might be a good idea. Owners all work at the factory in those jobs and/or
are unsure how to get out of their generic lives.

Porsche. Mostly ashholls, Plicks and porcupines. (Otherwise there would be no porcupine, or plick behind
the wheel joke). They wave at each other, not because of exclusivity, but to acknowledge their
mutual smug plickery. Some of us aren't tho. Thanks to me and Jurgen Barth for that. Possibly
you, but, definitely Eduardo.
WOW! Can I play this game?

Volvo/Saab. Nurses and teachers...genuinely nice people but wouldn't know a good looking car if it ran them over!

Mercedes. Upper class, educated, couldn't care less about driving as long as it get's them from A to B comfortably and stylish.

BMW. Wide range of drivers looking for something better but not sure what. Rich kids that think zig zagging though traffic at 110 is cool and safe because they're in a 3 series Bimmer

Audi. Intelligent, upper class, wise choices, but they always seem to have to prove they have a nice car to everything else on the road.

Jaguar. They bought one 40 years ago because it was a chick magnet, but it burned up in their garage!

Jeep! Most arrogant A-holes on the road!!(followed closely by those rich kids in 3's) or lesbian...or both.

Japanese High End..Lexus, Acura..Owners have money, nice jobs, or rich husbands, but know NOTHING about, or how to drive, automobiles. "It's got a touch screen! THIS is a nice car!"

Porsche..Not many around my way...probably snobbish but that's based on other's experience , not mine...time will tell

Okay, that was fun

Quick Reply: Porsche camaraderie?