Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche camaraderie?

Old 12-11-2016, 12:06 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Camaraderie has been a noticeable downward slide since the earlier times in my '84 Targa. I seldom see return waves from anyone except the air-cooled guys and many of the 911's; the rest are too busy enjoying their "Porsh" to take notice. It's simple, really: with over 50% of sales coming from SUV's, and then the Pano-wagon to boot, the brand has become bloated and the culture has been diluted. But could be worse, look at BMW...
Old 12-11-2016, 03:36 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I used to flash when I had a 986 Boxster S during 2000-2003. Even then, very few returned the gesture. Regardless, even today, I tend to acknowledge any sports car driver, including a Miata. We enthusiasts are different kind. For us, the driving and the car (regardless of the marque) matter; and, we appreciate when someone shares similar taste/enthusiasm. But, people are different; and, often times, lost in their own world.

I have also had guys in random rides enthusiastically wave or acknowledge when I am in the S2000. In the Spyder, it's even more. So, the art of car culture isn't lost. As many of you pointed out, with 4-door models, the camaraderie is completely lost. I have also had some 911 owners just stare straight ahead like a zombie and ignore the world around them. It's just that people are different.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 289 Posts

I always wave at Porsche sports cars and almost always get a wave back (except sometimes the 911's). I gave up waving at 4 door P cars as I've never gotten a wave back. It's amazing at the number of pick-up truck and rice burner drivers that wave. Yes, it seems that the car culture is still alive!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Thank you for doing that for me in my 'Ravenna Green' 914! Saludos, Eduardo Presently in a freezing cold/wet Seattle!
Look how much bigger the modern gt3 is. Haha just like the rest of society, we are getting fat.

It always surprises me when i see a turbo or gts cayenne or pano that i wave thinking they are probably enthusiast but they dont seem to care most of the time. Why they spend 2-3x more to get these models over the base is beyond me.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:06 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always wave to. Interestingly I get more responses from the 911 than the Cayman, which is unfortunate. Sometimes I'll even speed up to follow or drive next to the other P-owner if they happen to be heading the same direction as me
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Eduardo- when you get back from cold freezing Seattle, we need to get our north Scottsdale toys together...

We can flash or wave to our hearts content!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I think we all just have to get over it -- the good old days are gone.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,955 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
I think we all just have to get over it -- the good old days are gone.
its the same for vintage BMWs and My Ducati club.

Inter webs and social media has helped glorify some brands, people who had no need/urge/desire to have certain things now buy them to share, show off and to scratch them of their list. That invites people of all sorts into the club.
Definition of true enthusiast keeps diluting but the "brands" are happy because they are selling more than before and the bean counters are happy. Not a coincidence that most brands keep losing their core soul because the bean counters are pushing for products to be more desirable and compromised for the same "look at me, look what I just bought" segment of society
sad days...
Old 12-13-2016, 12:23 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You Scottsdale guys can go visit Charlie. There will be a ton of lights to flash and many of them wll be on cars that started it all. Give me some advance notice and I'll come flash with you.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Normally I'm the first one to lament for the good old days, but I have to go against the grain here. Camaraderie extends well beyond the mere flashing of headlights, return of waves and acknowledgement of other P-car drivers. I'm here to report camaraderie is alive and well if last weekend's So Cal Spyder drive is any indication. Wonderful folks from all walks of life coming from near and far to kick tires, drool over each other's cars, discuss all things Porsche over BLT sandwiches, and, most importantly, engage in some spirited driving. Not an ego in the bunch. Just solid, knowledgable, and passionate Porsche enthusiasts. Felt downright privileged to be among them. And the younger owners I meet really impress me. You expect the older guys to know the history of the cars, the racing successes, etc., but these younger guys have really done their homework! Yes, I know there are what I call the "trophy hunters" that get these cars just to be seen in or purely for status, but I don't think as much of that goes on in the P-car world as it does with other makes. If you're "that guy," then good luck holding your own amongst other Porsche owners!

I would go so far as to argue that camaraderie today is higher than it was in the past, mainly due to the proliferation of so many events owners can attend, i.e., DEs, track days, auto-X, C&Cs, monthly club events, organized tours -- the list goes on and on. Never has there been so many opportunities to rub shoulders with other owners and all these events breed camaraderie. Plus, enthusiast websites like this one draw us all together.

I'm normally a glass-half-empty sort, but I would be hesitant to let an unreturned wave from a Cayenne driver be your main barometer of the passion and camaraderie that currently exists amongst Porsche owners. I think it's out there in spades.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well said! Plus in them days we didn't have a whizzbangelectronic forum.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Normally I'm the first one to lament for the good old days, but I have to go against the grain here. Camaraderie extends well beyond the mere flashing of headlights, return of waves and acknowledgement of other P-car drivers. I'm here to report camaraderie is alive and well if last weekend's So Cal Spyder drive is any indication. Wonderful folks from all walks of life coming from near and far to kick tires, drool over each other's cars, discuss all things Porsche over BLT sandwiches, and, most importantly, engage in some spirited driving. Not an ego in the bunch. Just solid, knowledgable, and passionate Porsche enthusiasts. Felt downright privileged to be among them. And the younger owners I meet really impress me. You expect the older guys to know the history of the cars, the racing successes, etc., but these younger guys have really done their homework! Yes, I know there are what I call the "trophy hunters" that get these cars just to be seen in or purely for status, but I don't think as much of that goes on in the P-car world as it does with other makes. If you're "that guy," then good luck holding your own amongst other Porsche owners!

I would go so far as to argue that camaraderie today is higher than it was in the past, mainly due to the proliferation of so many events owners can attend, i.e., DEs, track days, auto-X, C&Cs, monthly club events, organized tours -- the list goes on and on. Never has there been so many opportunities to rub shoulders with other owners and all these events breed camaraderie. Plus, enthusiast websites like this one draw us all together.

I'm normally a glass-half-empty sort, but I would be hesitant to let an unreturned wave from a Cayenne driver be your main barometer of the passion and camaraderie that currently exists amongst Porsche owners. I think it's out there in spades.
Very very well said Nick. I agree 100%. With the sheer volume of Porsches on the road now it makes it tough to reach the true enthusiast unless you join the PCA or frequent an online forum. But we are here!

We had a GREAT drive last weekend with like you say "not an ego in the bunch" but just a group of people who truly love the cars and, importantly, driving them.

To the moderator - we need a "Flashing Headlight" emoticon!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:58 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Agreed, and you see that on runs and meets. Nothing but good stuff.

However, there's a high degree of Porsche snobs and general douchebaggery that's more than evident than in other marques I've been associated with. You can typically find them hurling their condescending remarks from lofty ivory racing thrones. Those track rats look down on the "waxers" and "cruisers", as if by virtue of having more interest, time, or money to invest in DE somehow elevates the smell of their **** to that of a floral scent. Whatever. I didn't buy my car to please anyone's sensibilities.

/end rant

Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 PM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver
Whatever. I didn't buy my car to please anyone's sensibilities.

/end rant

Perfectly Stated!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:32 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caymannyc is the car color beige/gray?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche camaraderie?