Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Tapping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Arizonasun
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Tapping Noise

Hi

Thanks for reading this any help or advice you can give would be much appreciated

I have owned my current Boxster for around 2 years its a 987 gen 1 2.7 with 20,000 miles totally mint, full main dealer service history

It had a major service around 8 months ago at Porsche Reading

I have noticed a ticking sound as below (although not my car it sounds exactly the same)

No here's the thing its only done it twice yesterday and around 9 months ago, interestingly both times its happened its been the day after it has been jacked the night before on one corner to clean the wheel arches/brakes/wheels

Could it be to do with the oil draining away from a certain area and causing the noise ?

On both occasions the sound has gone after around 10 minutes

Its never made the sound if the car hasn't been jacked up with a trolley jack (in correct position using a puck) on one corner the night before ?

What are your thoughts ?

The car is now out of warranty

Any help much appreciated

Kind regards

Paul
Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

My car does sound the same.
Not as loud but similar.
I was at the dealer and was told it is ok.
They said if it worsens, then bring it back.
I would just observe.
If worsens, then have it looked at.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Both of my 987s, particularly the '06 CS will occasionally make a similar noise, although not nearly as loud as it appears to be in that video clip. In my case the noise always goes away in a matter of minutes, usually less if I drive off gently rather than let it sit and idle. Extensive idling does our cars no good and it is best for the health of the engine to start up and drive away immediately, driving gently at first, because the quicker a car is warmed up the better for a whole host of mechanical reasons.
The fact that it is intermittent and that it goes away is really the best clue that the cause is a lifter, or if the noise is very brief it is perhaps a timing chain tensioner that hasn't pumped up yet. In either case, when the oil fully pumps up the lifter or tensioner the clearances are minimized and the noise abates.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:10 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2016 GTS sounds almost like that, but only when cold. It lasts several minutes, so not a tensioner or lifter thing IMO. I thought it was the injectors, but then it makes no sense for them to quiet when hot, so who knows what it really is. But the bottom line is ALL Cayman/Boxsters seem to do it since new, so I wouldn't worry at all. I'd say it also depends how old is your oil, and if the proper viscosity. As long as the engine sounds normal when hot, that's what matters. That it sounds like that after lifting the car could be pure coincidence, since the car has a sump under the engine. It's actually a semi-dry sump, because real dry-sump engines have a separate oil reservoir. I'd say no worries with that noise. As noted, if it was to get worse, then start worrying, but remember these engines are quite noisy, and some are noisier than oters. Take care.

Quick Reply: Boxster Tapping Noise