Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 steering adjustment broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 12:18 PM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 987 steering adjustment broken

The valet adjusted the tilt and telescope of the steering wheel on my RS60. Now it won't lock into place anymore, it's permanently adjustable

The culprit seems to be a gasket in the steering column, a red rubber seal that came apart crumbling.

My shop tells me they can't replace just the gasket - there's no separate part number for it - they'd have to replace the entire steering column. Which is about $1500

Does anybody know if there's a Porsche part number for this? Or maybe a same size VW part?

Not about to spend $1500 on what is, at best, a $25 seal... I remember seeing similar problems on other Porsches, where people did find a good replacement, hoping for the same for my 987!

Last edited by PowerFlower; 11-26-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

OK, found a picture of a used part that clarifies which gasket this is... you can see it fairly clearly in this picture, this is from a 997 and the gasket is orange rather than red but it's the same part:

...so the question is, can you replace that gasket? How would you even get to it?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a hard time imagining how that gasket would secure the tilt and telescope movement. I would think those gaskets would just absorb the bump at the end of range of motion.
I would think something around the lower pivot where the black metal joins the cast aluminum would lock through a gear or tension. If that's true the part is not necessary, you could find something similar in dimension, split it then use rubber cement to hold it to the upper black plastic part.
Look carefully at that pin to the right of the black plastic lever, may have worked its way out. Looks like a pressed on washer to retain it.

Can you get a picture of your column in that area?
Where are you located? If Near LA/Glendale, I'd be happy to look at it with you.
Good luck!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Georound
Instructor

Maybe a piece of the gasket has fallen down into the mechanism.....preventing it from "gripping."

Here's one for $100 and it has some better pictures...
Same guy has one for an '05 for $75 including shipping....that's a deal!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Boxster-R...JT5qhp&vxp=mtr

Check out the spring and nut at the bottom....there's also a small spring on the side that may only provide tension, but might be a necessary part and could have popped off....
Could also be old grease has gummed up the mechanism. Shot of WD if you find a Pawl or pin that would lock in place. Consider removing those torx (shiny in pic) bolts to inspect or clean the mechanism. May need to remove from dash, not sure!
Put the wheel where you want it and wiggle the spring /nut/rod to see if it will lock in place.

Last edited by Georound; 11-27-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:43 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Some very helpful tips, thanks! You're right, my conclusion of "locking mechanism broke, same time as rubber ring broke, therefore rubber ring must be the cause" is probably wrong, and it looks more likely to be somewhere in the black plastic assembly and/or nut on the end.

I'll have some free time end of this week to dive under there and have a closer look -- meanwhile I'll try to understand a bit more about how this mechanism works (so I'll know what the issue is once I have a look).

And I live in Dubai, so unfortunately nowhere near LA, but thanks for the offer to help!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:20 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Had a long look with a torch to see what's wrong with the mechanism, but couldn't find anything that is broken. So either that's inside the mechanism, and needs wholesale replacement, or...

...I noticed the 1 thing different on mine, than on the dozens of used part photos I've been examining: the black piece in the middle, between the two springs, is in a different position on mine: it's more towards the big spring.

My theory now is that it's supposed to "jump out" towards the outer end (where the small spring is, and where there's thread visible on the "stopper" that I've also not seen on other pics), and that locks the mechanism.

So, getting new WD40 and then back to the car and hopefully fixing it. Fingers crossed
The following users liked this post:
Henderjb (06-05-2023)
Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

OK, with loads of WD, and a gentle tap with a mallet, got the plastic "funnel" in the middle to move again. It now also at least locks the telescopic movement again but not the up/down

Tempted to buy a used part just to see how the up/down locking works without having to take apart my dashboard. I'm sure it's also just something that's stuck because it's too dried out. But what?
Henderjb (06-05-2023)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Georound
Instructor

I would guess the two ramped/conical plastic parts depress a tab into the mechanism. Can you get those torx bolts off? Watch out for flying springs....!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:50 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

I think the problem is in this bit now, since the other part probably is for the telescopic movement (which locks now):

And you're probably right, maybe this specific "funnel" should also depress a tab or something, into the black bit below (which extends to the right and is attached to the up/down hinges).

The torx screws on that are completely stuck (and very hard to get to without disassembling the bottom dashboard). Don't think the springs would jump out, looks like they're contained in the metal assembly -- and even if I'd unscrew the torx screws, the assembly would still sit around the central axis of the lock, so still wouldn't be able to get it out -- though maybe this would allow the mechanism to get unstuck.

First up I'll try to lubricate this bit of it as well though, maybe it'll be as successful as with the other one
Old 12-29-2016, 10:52 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Well, some more WD on that part, and a tap with a mallet, and letting the adjustment lock jump back a few times (instead of carefully guiding it), and it suddenly snapped into place again

May need to get some thicker oil than WD to avoid future issues, but for now at least my steering wheel is fixed again and it doesn't move up/down or back/forth anymore when you least want it to
The following 2 users liked this post by PowerFlower:
Henderjb (06-05-2023), SubVet (09-11-2021)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Georound
Instructor

Great news!
Old 12-30-2016, 04:15 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 AM
tltan123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi PowerFlower, just writing to thank you for starting this thread, i had a similar problem with my 2005 Boxster S steering telescoping freely.
My Porsche tech advised a change of steering column, thanks to your experience, he thanked me for enlightening his day.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:10 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Glad to have been of help! This is why it's important to always follow up and post what turned out to be the solution
MRWDXB (06-20-2020)
Old 09-03-2018, 03:37 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
The valet adjusted the tilt and telescope of the steering wheel on my RS60. Now it won't lock into place anymore, it's permanently adjustable

The culprit seems to be a gasket in the steering column, a red rubber seal that came apart crumbling.

My shop tells me they can't replace just the gasket - there's no separate part number for it - they'd have to replace the entire steering column. Which is about $1500

Does anybody know if there's a Porsche part number for this? Or maybe a same size VW part?

Not about to spend $1500 on what is, at best, a $25 seal... I remember seeing similar problems on other Porsches, where people did find a good replacement, hoping for the same for my 987!

Hello
Help please
My rubber is also crumbling. Pieces of it fell on the car's carpet.
I noticed there was a little freedom / shift in the steering wheel that I was moving up and down.
what should I do? Feeling frustrated.
(I have a 997 carrera s 2005).

Quick Reply: 987 steering adjustment broken