Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY SportChrono Style Magnetic Smartphone Holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Andrew Conley
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY SportChrono Style Magnetic Smartphone Holder

Intro:
After my successful installation of the excellent Focal KX3 component speaker system, I had some interesting bits left over. High quality cast aluminum grills, small 2-way speaker enclosure and two little dash-mount tweeter pods.
At the same time, I was trying to figure out a nice esthetically pleasing way to ‘carry’ my smart phone whilst driving. I didn’t want any cheapo looking suction cup mounts on the glass, and I certainly didn’t want to drill the console/dash and attach any brackets.

So when I was admiring the Focal tweeter pods, I had an idea. They reminded me of the often maligned SportsChrono wart that sits on the dash on the higher spec’d cars (mine does not have the SC package). When I placed the tweeter pod on the dash as a mockup, it came clear to me that I NEED to try and make a SportsChrono inspired phone holder.

Tools needed:
• Hig 3M automotive grade VHA (Very High Adhesion) double sided tape
• Sharp craft knife

Consumables and parts:
• Focal tweeter pod
• MagicPlate magnetic phone mount (there are probably other suitable replacements brands…)
• Suitability sized plastic container lid
• Cool Porsche sticker of your choice
• BluTack Black

Step 1 - Prep
First step is to find a round plastic lid that fits neatly into the front of the tweter pod. Fortunatley for me, my wife maintains a plethora of expensive creams and lotions, and I was able to find an exact size match and in matching Porsche silver as well.

Thoroughly wash the tweeter pod with detergent and spray paint to match your dash (in my case, black)

Trim the length of the cap so that it sits flush with the front of the tweeter pod.

Step 2- Mounting the Magnets

Take the MagicPlate magnet base and remove the rubber casing

Remove the magnet plate, and place into the ‘plastic cap’, with the exposed magnets against the plastic, and secure it with a generous amount of 5-min Araldite. Let dry for an hour

Put some Cyano Acrylic (Super Glue) inside the tweeter pod where it will contact but be hidden by the plastic lid
Slide the lid into place. Allow 3 hours for the whole assembly to dry.

Step 3- Mounting to Dash

Once dry, apply the 3M VHA tape to the underside of the tweeter pod.
Trim the tape to leave a 1-2 mm gap from the tape to the edge
Take some BluTack black, and knead it into a long string with a 1-2mm diameter.
Form the BluTack Black around the edge of the base of the tweeter pod to form a gasket.

Carefully place the pod in the center of the dash and make sure to put it at a level that ensures your phone doesn’t touch or rub against the dash.

Let cure for an hour.

Apply the MagicPlate thin metal plate to the back of your smartphone

Your SportChrono style phone holder is now ready for use.

At this stage, you could apply a cool Porsche sticker of your choice to fancy things up

I’ve yet to find a suitable sticker, so mine is still plain silver color.

Quick Reply: DIY SportChrono Style Magnetic Smartphone Holder