Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an used 987, need smog help[CA]

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Sky
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an used 987, need smog help[CA]

SO i am looking at a 2007 987 in my area and really love the car. Getting a PPI tomorrow. I had a few questions regarding getting it smogged.

The car has the following aftermarket parts

Softtronics tuning
Softtronics GT3 plenum
Softtronics GT3 TB
EVOMS V-Flow Intake
Miltek cutback exhaust

Should there be any trouble getting it smogged ? Do
Softronics/EVOMS/Miltek provide a CARB sticker. Tried calling them but no luck.

The owner says no trouble getting it smogged but i am a little concerned.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The way I understand it, if the emissions equipment remains in place and is not changed you should pass smog unless the CEL is on. I would also be surprised if any inspection station asks you to open the engine cover to see the intake but I do know they will look at the cats which are visible through the rear wheel wells.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky
SO i am looking at a 2007 987 in my area and really love the car. Getting a PPI tomorrow. I had a few questions regarding getting it smogged.

The car has the following aftermarket parts

Softtronics tuning
Softtronics GT3 plenum
Softtronics GT3 TB
EVOMS V-Flow Intake
Miltek cutback exhaust

Should there be any trouble getting it smogged ? Do
Softronics/EVOMS/Miltek provide a CARB sticker. Tried calling them but no luck.

The owner says no trouble getting it smogged but i am a little concerned.
IIRC in CA the seller is responsible for smogging the vehicle.

Yes, from this web site:

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/buy...egulations.php

here is a cut/paste regarding this:

Smog Certification

If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the a smog certification was submitted within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.

If you do sell it without a smog certification and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for repairing it to the smog certification standards.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Sky
3rd Gear

Yes @Macster, the seller is going to get the smog certificate as a part of selling the car. I am just trying to understand going forward what this means for me. As of now i do not plan on doing any mods.

@MarinBlue: I did some searching on the forums and do not have a definitive answer on that, looks like sometimes folks are asked to remove the engine cover sometimes not. Guess it depends on the person performing the test.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They will plug in computer and if no faults show up, you will pass. 2007 is computer only, no visual.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I can only speak for the local place I use in Santa Monica, but they do ask for the cover to be removed and they do look for aftermarket intakes.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Perhaps I was lucky with the shop I used, I know the cover wasn't removed.

I'm going to go look at my car to see if the emission sticker was moved on latter 987.2 cars.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:27 AM
backeddy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did my new to CA Spyder 2 weeks ago, just hooked it up and that was it, took 3 minutes, no cover removal.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Sky
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone for your reply.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky
Yes @Macster, the seller is going to get the smog certificate as a part of selling the car. I am just trying to understand going forward what this means for me. As of now i do not plan on doing any mods.

@MarinBlue: I did some searching on the forums and do not have a definitive answer on that, looks like sometimes folks are asked to remove the engine cover sometimes not. Guess it depends on the person performing the test.
My smog experience with both my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 Turbo is the tech has never asked me to expose the Boxster engine or even bothered to open the rear trunk lid. I can't recall the tech ever opening the Turbo's engine compartment lid.

Neither car has been put on a lift either to check for any exhaust mod's. 'course, it is clear at the back of the cars both have stock exhaust. I mean there is nothing out of the ordinary there.

And both cars sound stock, too.

Used to be the Boxster went on rollers but now the tech just plugs in the smog/test computer to the car's OBD2 port and in a few minutes that's it.

The Turbo never went on rollers -- AWD requires special 4 roller set up with the front rollers driven by the rear rollers. Think the last time the Turbo was smogged it was the same procedure as the Boxster. Just plug in the smog/test computer to the car's OBD2 port and a few minutes later that's it. All done.

Tech using a hand held OBD2 code reader does check to make sure all readiness monitors are set to complete before hooking up the computer because if he hooks up the computer and finds some not set to complete this is a fail and retest.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:32 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Actually there's more to the OBDII check than just looking for faults, all the DME readiness monitors have to show ready or it can fail.

(some OBDII states allow one monitor to not be ready, but not the catalysts)

This is something I'm running into now with an aftermerket flash and may affect you with the softronic flash. Apparently, many of the flashes out there turn off the rear O2 sensors so people can run catless headers.

Unfortunately this prevents the catalyst readiness monitor from doing it's checks and the car won't pass, yet it will show no faults/CEL's etc. (on an OBDII type test)

You can pick up an OBDII plugin like "Torque" that is bluetooth to you phone and check these monitors.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:16 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

My smog guy tried to charge me more because he said he was supposed to remove the rear cover to do it properly. I said, but you didn't, so why add $15 to the smog. He relented. I guess they are supposed to remove to check for the equipment, but most don't do it.

Quick Reply: Buying an used 987, need smog help[CA]