Sponsored by:

718 cayman s lease and many questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Dice13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 cayman s lease and many questions

Hey guys,hoping for some help. I am going to ask lots of questions on this thread. Here is a long story,I will try to keep it short. I am coming from 3 BMWs over the last 9 years,135 i and two M3s leased them all. I always looked into porsche and they were always out of reach for the speed I was looking for. I always wanted a porsch. I must say M3 is no slouch and handles quite well. I am torn between 718 and M4. I usually like to stay near 900 on my payments, but if I do the switch I will be over 1k.

I read alot of reviews on both cars and the 718 is being knocked for the sound, not that the M4 reviews on the sound are so good. I am so torn. Can we post leasing deals here ? Hoping a few of you can tell me if I have a good deal.

I hope I'm am posting in the right place. Thanks for the help in advance, Vic.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:56 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

you can post lease deals here , but it will be different than bimmerpost as far as number of responses you get. Porsche leases in general are really bad compared to BMW or other companies for that matter. I have had several M cars and a cayman S will be a different league. One thing you might want to consider is buying a used cayman S , and finance it rather than lease it as these cars take a big hit the first 2 years and you will have the best of both world.
good luck
Old 11-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

One comment on Porsche leases that I have heard is that they are very aggressive on paying down the principle. The monthly payment is higher but you end up with a lot of equity and a good low buy-out at the end, something I am sure your sales rep will love in getting you into the next one. You'll be investing in the future! Ha, ha...

Something to consider for the OP as your payment rises north of $1000 / month.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:31 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

718 is a four cylinder. I suspect you'll miss that smooth six...

Not to say that the Cayman is not a fantastic car, it is, and is a better driver than the BMW. But you are going to pay for it, and if you are an engine guy more than a chassis guy, you'll be disappointed I think.

I just spent the weekend at BMW PC driving the M3, M4 and M2. I actually preferred the M2 overall.

Food for thought.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Dice13
Intermediate

Here is the deal is got 718 cayman s. I will give as much info as I have to see if you guys think this is as good as it gets

Base price 66,300
Destination 1050

Options
folding mirrors 320
Pdk 3200
Pasm 2070
Sport Chrono 2605
Sports exhaust 2540
20 in carrera s wheels 1580
GTS sport wheel 320
Heated seats 520 = options 13,165 +Des 1050+ base 66,300=80,515 total price.

This is a 36 month lease, 7500 miles per year, total 2000 due at signing. Payment $1040 per month. The residual I believe was 58% a little over 4k off Msrp, money factor .00100. These numbers are what I remember can't find where I wrote it down, but I think I'm dead on.

Sorry for the long post but I have till next week before I need to give 1k down for them to order.I did sign paperwork
Old 11-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Dice13
Intermediate

The 2k at signing includes first month payment. Taxes are rolled in to payment and well as registration and plates. On my paperwork the Msrp is there with the monthly payment , motor vehicle fees , and all other fees but not the sale price. This may be a good deal but not sure is MF is right or if dealer can come down a tad.

I always wanted a Porsche and this is going to be a hard decision , loved my M3s. I think BMW M4 is nice fast , good handling sport coupe pretty much loaded (when compared to the Porsche)package 899 a month 10k year 36 month lease, and possibly as mentioned from dealer 1 day driving class that cost 800.I am so leaning towards the porsche for a a number of reasons. On top of the porsche being so sexy and the m cars getting bigger.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:18 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are my thoughts:

First, you don't list your location in your profile. This may help people understand your situation (market, traffic, etc.) when trying to help you.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but you don't need:
- folding mirrors
- PASM
- SC
- Sports Exhaust (yes, it's neat, but $2600, really?)

PDK is fine if you don't know how to drive a stick and don't want to learn, or live in LA or Chicago and have awful traffic. But if not, there is nothing, NOTHING, more sublime than a Porsche manual 6-speed transmission. Nothing. So, I just saved you another $3200. You are welcome.

And if you live in Florida, you don't need heated seats either. The "sport wheel" I haven't seen and the wheels probably look good, so I didn't take them off. But you could.

In other words, drop all of that useless crap and you could get your payment where you want it, and you'd never miss those options. The discount from MSRP seems to be pretty good, you likely won't do better.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Dice13
Intermediate

I updated my profile, hope it worked.

MJBIRD993 I came from m3s v8 nice sounding motors and from many knocking sound of the 4 cylinder I figured Sport Exhaust may help sound better and add to cart breathing better or helping the power. This is a garage queen but when I bring my car out I drive them pretty hard.I have driver stick for many years but pdk can up and down shift lightning quick. I am looking for carpet to be as fast as possible, seems to me it is a quick as m4 if optioned right. Now as for Pasm I just figured it gives car a nice looking and makes it stiffer
Old 11-17-2016, 04:32 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read sport exhaust on the 718 is a waste of money.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:02 PM
rellim
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Here are my thoughts:

First, you don't list your location in your profile. This may help people understand your situation (market, traffic, etc.) when trying to help you.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but you don't need:
- folding mirrors
- PASM
- SC
- Sports Exhaust (yes, it's neat, but $2600, really?)

PDK is fine if you don't know how to drive a stick and don't want to learn, or live in LA or Chicago and have awful traffic. But if not, there is nothing, NOTHING, more sublime than a Porsche manual 6-speed transmission. Nothing. So, I just saved you another $3200. You are welcome.

And if you live in Florida, you don't need heated seats either. The "sport wheel" I haven't seen and the wheels probably look good, so I didn't take them off. But you could.

In other words, drop all of that useless crap and you could get your payment where you want it, and you'd never miss those options. The discount from MSRP seems to be pretty good, you likely won't do better.

+1
Old 11-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Can't comment on the lease issues, but have you driven a 981 or 718? If not, once you do, I think you'll lose the opinion that the M4 handles well. It's going to feel like a ponderous overweight pig by comparison. And trust me, the 718 sounds no worse than an M4.

Comparing a 718 to an M4 is a seriously apples to oranges comparison.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Dice13
Intermediate

Honestly I was not comparing them. I think the M3 was a fun powerful car and more so the m4 other then sound and the m4 seems bigger. I just always thought of a porsche as an exotic sports car and always loved them. In my opinion only, the m cars are a great car for 900 month fast and no slouch. The 1040 a month will not kill me. Just trying to get the best possible deal,being you pay for everything in a porsche. I want to go for the performance options to make it the best I can performance wise. For some reason I just thought there was room for a better deal. If I cannot get him down just a little more I will see if he will include navigation. I guess it's just that I have always been able to get invoice pricing on my BMWs. I know porsche is more exclusive.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Dice13
Intermediate

What some of you guys are saying that sport, Chrono, exhaust is not going to make it faster with pdk also. Well That's I been reading.

I have driven a Cayman s 718 no sports exhaust or sport Chrono. My take is its light and nimble and lots of fun, sales guys told me you sure like to drive as he held on. I just wanna make it a fast as I can. I don't think I can mod or tune it cause I don't wanna mess with warranty.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:14 PM
DaveMann
AutoX

They will make the car faster but is it worth the cost for marginal gains? You may get a .1 sec quicker 0-60 but can you actually discern that performance gain?

If you're tracking the car over a 15 or 20 min session then the differences can accumulate and it may very well be worth the added costs. However on the street you won't notice it.

However I will say that sports mode will improve throttle response and sports exhaust does add some aural elements. This can create the illusion of greater speed and performance that could justify their added costs.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:11 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

going back to your lease numbers , I think you can do a little better but not by much. How do you do that
1. the discount you reported is 5% , you can get 7.5 % which is an additional 2 k
2. residual is fixed by porsche so you can't change that
3. MF , if you are suspicious that the dealer is inflating the number and they can do that by a small margin , call another dealer or two in your area and double check the number.
4. as far as options , with a lease you are only financing part of the options' cost, so when I lease a car i am more tempted to add stuff, of course it depends on your finances
5. biggest potential issue is mileage allowance , I think porsche charge 30 cents for extra mile vs bmw for the longest time was 16 cent and i think recently increased to 20 cents , so double check on that .
6. also with porsche you can't swap a lease because you will continue to be the responsible party , as compared to bmw which is very easy, so if life changes, your only way out is sell the car, pay the difference on the loss yourself which could be several thousands , and this is why i suggested in my initial reply that buying a used cayman s might be a wiser choice

Quick Reply: 718 cayman s lease and many questions