Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced battery in 2013 981S

Old 10-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced battery in 2013 981S

Was getting 11.8 volts athe the battery. Original battery on my daily driver with 49k miles.
Was having a weird issue with PCM not finding the XM antenna after I cranked over the engine. Worked fine when I inserted the key, but would take me changing stations to get the station to play.
Also, my Start/Stop didn't ever work, likely due to low voltage. I bought the car about 6 months ago at 43k miles.

Read about the expectation that a new battery required dealer reset of computer. Nothing definitive that I could find.
OEM battery is AGM 94R.
Found one in stock at O'Reilly's. for $240 with tax and core charge. $25 mail in rebate. So, about $200 with tax
10 minutes to replace it. T25 or 30 to remove the air compressor. 13 mm for the nuts holding the bracket on. Don't lose the one below the firewall! 10mm for the battery connectors. Standing in the trunk with the battery next to you eliminates the in and out of the car! The Oreilly QuickStart platinum had the same handles that fold towards the center. Easy to lift and carry.
12.6 volts or more now. Start/Stop works every light when enabled and the XM antenna issue is gone.
This battery is 80Ah and 800 cca.

Last edited by Georound; 10-22-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Good to know. I had the dealer replace my battery about a year ago, and I'm already seeing voltages below 12.0V (per instrument panel) before cranking the engine. Unimpressed with the OEM battery to put it mildly, considering that the 981s supposedly have less parasitic drain than earlier cars.

If there's an advantage to having the dealer "code" the battery at installation time, I can't imagine what it is.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Georound
Instructor

Before, the battery swap, the voltage readout on the ammeter would be 14.3 or 14.4 all the time. Now, I see 13.x and within a few minutes 14.4. I think it's already charging via some profile. Motor definitely spins a bit faster at startup and the engine catchs more quickly.

Porsche OEM, best price was $260 that I found, but most places wouldn't ship (Gaudin, Suncoast).

No options on Durametric pro, but that's not surprising. They are nearly worthless beyond light reset and code reads for the newer cars.

I just talked to my indie. He wasn't aware of any computer programming that was necessary. Would love to hear the story from a Porsche tech.

I heard that a new battery and labor is over $500....ridiculous! I'm shocked the designs haven't become proprietary with special connections. I considered the Odyssey 925, but that requires a new hold down bracket. Saves about 20 lbs. for about $500 all in...unsure of suitability for Start/Stop and daily driving.

Last edited by Georound; 10-22-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 PM
jliuod
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how is the O'Reilly battery holding up? I have a 2013 BS and probably will need to replace my battery soon as well. I was shocked by the cost of the battery replacement by the dealer. I would love to be able to replace the battery myself to save a few $$.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!

my indie mechanic (30 yr dealer tech) said it has something to do with setting the height where the windows stop?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Georound
Was getting 11.8 volts athe the battery. Original battery on my daily driver with 49k miles.
Was having a weird issue with PCM not finding the XM antenna after I cranked over the engine. Worked fine when I inserted the key, but would take me changing stations to get the station to play.
Also, my Start/Stop didn't ever work, likely due to low voltage. I bought the car about 6 months ago at 43k miles.

Read about the expectation that a new battery required dealer reset of computer. Nothing definitive that I could find.
OEM battery is AGM 94R.
Found one in stock at O'Reilly's. for $240 with tax and core charge. $25 mail in rebate. So, about $200 with tax
10 minutes to replace it. T25 or 30 to remove the air compressor. 13 mm for the nuts holding the bracket on. Don't lose the one below the firewall! 10mm for the battery connectors. Standing in the trunk with the battery next to you eliminates the in and out of the car! The Oreilly QuickStart platinum had the same handles that fold towards the center. Easy to lift and carry.
12.6 volts or more now. Start/Stop works every light when enabled and the XM antenna issue is gone.
This battery is 80Ah and 800 cca.
Bummer about the Stop/Start working again. That thing bugs the crap out of me! Thought you had a fix for a moment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced battery in 2013 981S