Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Just got my 987.2 Spyder what should I do about this

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM
backeddy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just got my 987.2 Spyder what should I do about this

Hi all, well my spyder just got off the truck and first thing I see is this nice scratch on my 12k mile car! I have been waiting forever to find this color combo and cannot believe the negligence of a top rated dealer when they put the top on. So since the rear deck is pretty much the biggest panel on the car, should I have it resprayed or is there another way? The dealer is stepping up to take care of it, but I really hate to paint it. Nice huh?
Old 10-15-2016, 01:21 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not respray the metal body panels. It will hurt resale value.

Try buffing and touching up first. The top scratch seems to be deep, but does not look like it went down to the primer. If you take a buffer to it, you might be able to hide it. As for the bottom scratch, the top part is down to the primer, you'll have no choice but to touch up. The bottom part you should be able to buff out some of it.

Unfortunately, it is not a new car, top rated dealer or not, it will have blemishes. But the dealer should have buffed and touched that up prior to the sale.

Looks like it could use a good paint correction too. I see swirls, near the reflection of your head.

I think a good detailer can address most of the scratches.

Watch this:
Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats on the new Spyder!

As noted, the car can definitely use some help from a good detailer and being in CA you should have some great choices nearby or DIY. A good detailer can also repair that scratch so it's nearly invisible.

What's interesting is that it appears someone already did attempt paint correction based upon the white buildup in the gaps between the panels. Is this white buildup visible everywhere or just this one area?

So what options does it have and how about some more pics!
Old 10-15-2016, 06:15 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES, forgot to say congrats! Welcome to the 987 Spyder club.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 PM
backeddy
Advanced

Thanks! And of course it hasn't rained in the Bay Area for 9 months.......that changes 4 hours after the car gets here! So much for good luck! I got the car for a really good price and it even included a carbon fiber (over fiberglass) speedart hardtop ( i know the purists don't like it). Although that was the first thing that came off, I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of it and how well it kept the heat in and reduced the noise on my drive home after picking it up. The scratch got there because the idiots at the dealership locked in the front of the hardtop and just let the rear sit loose on the paint for a 3000 mile truck ride SMH. All the rear mounting hardware was in a bag in the car, it literally took less than 5 minutes to put the pads down and lock it in place! SMH again.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:15 PM
rloggie
Racer

Try Auto Conciege (just waxed.com)
Robert Willis is terrific.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've never seen the hard top installed on the Spyder and would love to see what this looks like. Definitely post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by backeddy
Hi all, well my spyder just got off the truck and first thing I see is this nice scratch on my 12k mile car! I have been waiting forever to find this color combo and cannot believe the negligence of a top rated dealer when they put the top on. So since the rear deck is pretty much the biggest panel on the car, should I have it resprayed or is there another way? The dealer is stepping up to take care of it, but I really hate to paint it. Nice huh?
Crap! Where exactley is this scratch? Congrats on picking up a GREAT car. Just needs a touch up...
Old 10-15-2016, 10:26 PM
backeddy
Advanced

Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 PM
backeddy
Advanced

Thanks! Yeah I waited a long time to get this color combo! The scratch is right in front/below the passenger side attachment point for the soft top...about the most visible point on the car.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:16 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rloggie
Try Auto Conciege (just waxed.com)
Robert Willis is terrific.
Sadly he closed up shop a few weeks ago.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 PM
backeddy
Advanced

"He closed up shop"

My run of luck continues!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:18 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I had never seen the hardtop also . Not bad but I think the soft top shows the lines of this great car better. By the way don't worry about rain the soft todo is very tight in rain and in fact keeps the car cool in 100 plus temps and the a/ c doesn't have to work that hard . Enjoy the 987 Spyder is a great car that is pure fun to drive
Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Backeddy, let me first pile on with congrats on your Spyder! Don't let this initial setback with the scratch temper your enthusiasm for the car (it sounds like it hasn't).

Speaking of which, am I the only one who would ask your dealer for compensation over and above the costs of repair? Your time is valuable and the hassle you now have to go through finding the correct shop to do the work, getting the car there, being without the car while it is being repaired, etc., etc. are all compensable losses incurred on your end, not to mention the diminished joy you probably experienced when the car arrived. To the extent disclosure of the scratch to a subsequent purchaser (or a paint check by a subsequent buyer) may result in a diminution of resale value, that is also a factor to consider. Bottom line: they blew it and they've owned up to it, but IMO they haven't gone far enough to make this right.

Finally, that hardtop is CRAZY! Can't say I'm fond of it, but there's no denying it's a rare accessory to have with the car. I never even knew there was an aftermarket top out there for this car. My suggestion would be to obtain the elusive Porsche Campground Performance top and you would then probably be the only 987 Spyder owner with all three known tops

Hope you get it all resolved to your FULL$$ satisfaction! Good luck.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM
backeddy
Advanced

LOL now I NEED that top! I would be the ultimate gag going to Laguna Seca for a track day.....pull in, hop out wearing a full fire suit unpack my jack, tools, helmets etc and then pop that bad boy up and get back in the car....that would be priceless!

As far as my Spyder attitude goes, even with all of the snafu's I am still excited as hell to have this car! I will also now be asking for $$$ for my time and diminished value on the scratch now (thanks!). I stole the car for $46k so I am already ahead, throw in the $9000 top (I know I would never pay that, but somebody DID!) and I am feeling pretty damn good right now!

Although the car did not have the LWBS it does have a completely deviated red/black interior, which is something I have only seen twice now and I really wanted (love the red leather, hate red carpets). I will post pics once this dang rain clears up.

Quick Reply: Just got my 987.2 Spyder what should I do about this