Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Different gen but I don't drive mine daily. The city is fully of perils - pot holes, parking garage pillars, wheel ripping curbs, other cars driven by inattentive drivers etc... so I drive it in the evenings and on the weekends, outside of the city, up into the hills. I am fortunate to have it as a pleasure car. My car for the city? A 2010 VW Golf with the GTI package ("Hermes"). It's cheap, fun to drive and it can take the nicks and keep on going! And it's always a thrill to get back in the Spyder...
Old 09-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
but today I just had an offer accepted on a craftsman house in Altadena/LA county. Nice gated, free-standing two car garage from 1910 for my two spyders and my commute is about to get much shorter.
Congrats Andrew! Something you may not have realized yet, you will have one of the best driving roads in California right in your back yard! Angel's Crest Hwy will be the perfect playground for the two Spyders.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:27 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my DD...bought it Nov 2015, just turned 10k miles and had the service and alignment done.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Different gen but I don't drive mine daily. The city is fully of perils - pot holes, parking garage pillars, wheel ripping curbs, other cars driven by inattentive drivers etc... so I drive it in the evenings and on the weekends, outside of the city, up into the hills. I am fortunate to have it as a pleasure car. My car for the city? A 2010 VW Golf with the GTI package ("Hermes"). It's cheap, fun to drive and it can take the nicks and keep on going! And it's always a thrill to get back in the Spyder...
Yes, I was wondering what people were driving if they weren't driving their Spyder. GTI good idea!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:20 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Congrats Andrew! Something you may not have realized yet, you will have one of the best driving roads in California right in your back yard! Angel's Crest Hwy will be the perfect playground for the two Spyders.
If the house goes through, then we'll have you (and the bunch) over and go for a ride!!
Old 09-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I could easily DD my Spyder (love that car), but also have a Cayenne for when at clients.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:14 PM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Even in San Francisco.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 AM
trakmor
Intermediate

I have been daily driving mine since April of this year, and still can't get enough of the car! The thought of putting mine away for the winter is difficult to come to grips with, so I am thinking about keeping it out. Not to derail the thread but I was wondering if anybody else is debating on driving theirs through the winter...in a wintery environ? Debating on 18 vs. 19 inch wheels with snow tires, would also appreciate any input on the sizing. As an added bonus smaller wheels mean cheaper tires, especially in the summer when I seem to chew my way through tires...as the car is an occasional track toy as well. Really a great DD!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Yes I'm thinking of DD the Spyder in the winter. Of course living in Orlando makes those winters just slightly more tolerable than yours. :-)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trakmor
I have been daily driving mine since April of this year, and still can't get enough of the car! The thought of putting mine away for the winter is difficult to come to grips with, so I am thinking about keeping it out. Not to derail the thread but I was wondering if anybody else is debating on driving theirs through the winter...in a wintery environ? Debating on 18 vs. 19 inch wheels with snow tires, would also appreciate any input on the sizing. As an added bonus smaller wheels mean cheaper tires, especially in the summer when I seem to chew my way through tires...as the car is an occasional track toy as well. Really a great DD!
I have thought about this as well -but only when there's no snow on the ground. We have a lot of relocated Californians here who horrible snow drivers.

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Yes I'm thinking of DD the Spyder in the winter. Of course living in Orlando makes those winters just slightly more tolerable than yours. :-)
Ha! Just rub it in
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

The short period of winter down here almost makes the 9 months of brutal summer tolerable. Almost.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:32 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

^I'm finding California is Spyder Country. Year long Spyder Season. I don't have to worry about another set of tires or even of parking my car outside.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Pretty much yes... top down all year, curvy mountain roads. And barely need AC (unless you go more than 10 miles inland which we simply won't do except for maybe to visit Lake Tahoe ;-). I think a spyder's true element is staying within spitting distance of the ocean.
Attached Images     
Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 PM
trakmor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
The short period of winter down here almost makes the 9 months of brutal summer tolerable. Almost.
your not helping at all. it will quickly be sub zero here, while you will soon be basking in the mid 60's! you are right though, Orlando is hot as hades for at least 6 months a year...only major FL city not on the coast! If you don't mind could you PM me some decent driving roads in the area, I will be down there visting family for T-giving (spent 25+ years sweating in the central FL heat during formative years). Enjoy the soon to be great weather and lack of tourists!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think I could live with a manual DD here in London, and also the manual roof with our many showery days. Drove it out of necessity across town in heavy traffic yesterday and found myself wishing for PDK. Out in the country, though, different story!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder as a DD?