Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder roof mechansim issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 981 Spyder roof mechansim issues

Just wondering if anyone else here has issues closing the roof without fiddling with the clamp inside the car?

If I just close the roof, put it on top of the windshield, get in the car and pull the button to have the latch tighten the roof to the car, it usually either misses the place it's supposed to grab or grabs it on the edge, violently snapping off.

The only way to get it to close is by fiddling with the latch and holding it in place while pulling the close button.

I had the car checked by the dealer and they told me the entire mechanism was out of alignment. They realigned everything and it all worked fine for about a week or so (could simply put the roof on the windshield and use the button and it all aligned up perfectly), and then it started again.

I always pay a lot of attention when opening and closing the roof as to not put any sideways force on it so I don't bend anything. But even that is apparently not sufficient.

Anyone here care to share their experiences?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's already a thread on this thing here. But I just hold the roof down from the inside - there's a grab handle of sorts and then press the button. Works perfectly. I however have the rear trunk open at that time as in not latched all the way. Once the roof is secured in the lock I got and push the trunk lid down all the way and lock it down. No issues. My roof stretches very tight and I like it like that. I think that's the way its supposed to be. That's why to ease the pressure a bit I keep the rear trunk lid unlatched when I do all this.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:04 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

+1. I engage the hook with the button and then close the trunk lid.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having issues... I have no issues with mine. Hopefully it stays that way.

My Process:
1. Leave Key in the Ignition turned with engine off
2. Pop Trunk
3. Open Top
4. Close Trunk Completely
5. Attach/Clip the Supports
6. Climb in and Hold the Roof Close Button until the latch closes and the windows go up

I don't have to hold the roof down at all... gravity does it's work for me.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Sorry to hear you are having issues... I have no issues with mine. Hopefully it stays that way.

My Process:
1. Leave Key in the Ignition turned with engine off
2. Pop Trunk
3. Open Top
4. Close Trunk Completely
5. Attach/Clip the Supports
6. Climb in and Hold the Roof Close Button until the latch closes and the windows go up

I don't have to hold the roof down at all... gravity does it's work for me.
Yeah other members have reported that. When my roof was new it definitely needed more of an effort and that's why I left the trunk lid ajar. Now it requires much less effort but definitely just gravity won't do it. The cloth on the roof has a bit of a stretch to it so it's very taut when it's on. But personally I have not had the roof open during driving maybe no more than 6 time since I had the car in March. Too hot/humid/sunny for me and my wife lol. Hopefully that will change in fall season!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

There are definitely two camps here: those that close their trunks before latching the roof from within and those that close their trunks after latching takes place. I'm in the "before" camp, but it sounds like either method works. As I recall from the prior thread on this issue, some who took euro delivery reported Porsche personnel instructing them to close the trunk last, but I've personally never done it that way.

Mine latches from within with no alignment issues so I sympathize with Ir-Fuel. I would stay on your dealer until it gets resolved to your full satisfaction. If the dealer tries to convince you that "that's just how it is," call B.S. and maybe take to your dealer another Spyder owner whose top aligns properly and point out the stark contrast between your respective cars. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does align but I do have to push the roof up as I pull on the latch switch in order for it to lock. Other wise it can reverse itself.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 AM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
+1. I engage the hook with the button and then close the trunk lid.
+1 here.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:26 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes Jam2 reported that on ED they told him latch first, then close the trunk. When I did ED a month earlier I was told trunk first, then latch. Go figure!

Most important point they told me at ED was that. When attaching the wings, look across to the other side and make sure you cannot see the red tab (so it is locked in place).
Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue in the biggining only. I think the roof just has to work itself and you don't need to pull the roof closer to the A pillar anymore. Not th function is very smooth. Only issue I had that the back latch didn't engage well one time and it came off on the highway. The flapping scratched the paint and had to have it buffed up
Old 09-14-2016, 08:35 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I close the trunk as last.

It's not even a matter of pulling the roof closer, even with the roof fully on top of the windshield it doesn't engage correctly. I have to align the latch in the hole by hand for it to work.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:54 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also just realized you can unlock the trunk and the latch as well as lower the windows without using the interior roof unlock switch. Holding the remote unlock does the same function.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I made a small video

This is with the trunk not completely closed.

https://vimeo.com/182705658
Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by skuplist
I also just realized you can unlock the trunk and the latch as well as lower the windows without using the interior roof unlock switch. Holding the remote unlock does the same function.
Correct it's pretty cool. I love that feature.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:24 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

No issues. I latch first, then close the trunk.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder roof mechansim issues