Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 MX-5 Miata vs. used 981 base

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thanks much, Jeff! Perhaps the biggest justification for ND over NA would be the increased safety, even more so after depreciation brings clean ND's below $20k in a year or so.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks much, Jeff! Perhaps the biggest justification for ND over NA would be the increased safety, even more so after depreciation brings clean ND's below $20k in a year or so.
Absolutely! The NA is a soda can on wheels. Safety/crash tech has come at least as far as engine tech in 30 years. When I drive an NA on a busy road, I'm always on high alert. Fortunately mine are both super bright colors (yellow and mariner blue) that are highly visible. I don't know that I'd really want to use an NA as a daily driver in a populated area, primarily due to the safety aspect. The ND would be a much safer choice for that type of usage.

That reminds me...I once drove a friend's Lotus Elise for about a week when I lived in LA. Driving that thing on the 405 freeway was terrifying! I was waiting to be squashed at any moment.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Absolutely! The NA is a soda can on wheels. Safety/crash tech has come at least as far as engine tech in 30 years. When I drive an NA on a busy road, I'm always on high alert. Fortunately mine are both super bright colors (yellow and mariner blue) that are highly visible. I don't know that I'd really want to use an NA as a daily driver in a populated area, primarily due to the safety aspect. The ND would be a much safer choice for that type of usage.

That reminds me...I once drove a friend's Lotus Elise for about a week when I lived in LA. Driving that thing on the 405 freeway was terrifying! I was waiting to be squashed at any moment.
Even just on back-roads with little traffic the better safety would be worth it, IMO. No one ever expects to hit a critter, deer, or a tree (when overcooking a corner or hitting a patch of water or wet leaves) but it happens. It is amazing thing to be applauded that Mazda has taken the lead in using the latest tech towards lightness instead of chasing HP. Same weight as cars 15+ years ago but with modern safety tech + engines -- what's not to like?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:58 PM
hf1
Banned

What's the deal with the three trim options on the ND (sport, club, touring)? Any difference in performance or suspension between the three or is it all just cosmetics and tech toys?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:34 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by greens
That awful torque curve of the AP1 motor is what caused me to sell my S2000 and never look back. I hear Honda mitigated a bit of this issue moving to a 2.2L motor for the AP2, but I have never driven one and therefore can't comment.

A NA/NB, to me, is far far far more satisfying of a DD than the S2000. Enough low end torque to get out of the way a decent pace. The S2000 feels like a base model Civic below 5.5K and it feels like it takes ages for the car to go from 3K to 5.5K waiting for the second cam to come on. The weight difference is probably the biggest factor though. 2250 vs 2850. 600 lbs is no joke and unfortunately there's really no way to strip it out of the S2000 even if you were willing to go that far with it.
Haven't driven an AP1; but, I hear the torque difference isn't that significant. Torque/power arriving at a higher RPM is a signature of S2000. I like it that way. With good intake and exhaust, the sound is organic; not engineered (as in Spyder or PSE). As I alternate between Spyder and S2000, I can appreciate the virtues of each. In first 3 to 4 gears, I redline routinely. I thoroughly enjoy doing so. So, it doesn't feel like a Civic! :-)

Agree that Miata's weight advantage is hard to ignore. For the price point and mid-90s design, Honda did the best they could. But, the chassis is super-stiff. Body roll is nearly non-existent.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:43 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Nip are
I think you were right to eliminate the MX-5 given you want to take long road trips. Everything I've learned says that they are noisy at high speed and not that enjoyable on long road trips. And like you said they are small without much storage.

$10k delta is probably best case. But I have found what appear to be good examples in the high $30ks. Here's one and there were 8 others in the search results all under $40k. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...14652726&Log=0

Base 981s seem to be the sports car bargain of the century. If they weren't my decision would be a lot easier.
The first question that I ask first time Porsche buyers on a budget is can you do your own maintenance. The maintenance charges on your $40K used 981 are the same as on a $130K+ 991S. That $30 oil change on your Miata will cost $300 or more at most Porsche dealerships. Intermediate Service (every two years) will cost in the $800 - $900 range, and the four year service will cost around $1200 - $1400 at most dealerships.
Moreover, the car you are looking at is not CPO which means that you will have a limited amount of warranty as opposed to the full warranty on the Miata. Just want you to realize that Porsches are very expensive to purchase and to maintain.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey folks, I just realized this thread was still going so I'll catch you up on my story (I'm the OP).

I bought the MX-5, club model (no brembo). For those who were asking there are 3 trim levels, sport (base), club (as in club racer) and GT. They are all pretty much the same car but the sport has smaller wheels and less interior tech (no touch screen, lesser stereo etc.). The club has LSD, better suspension, bigger wheels etc. The GT drops the suspension and LSD in favor of leather interior, electronic driver aids, fancy headlights and on. There's an option on the club model for brembo brakes and BBS wheels but it's pretty pricey.

I chose the ND over the 981 for a couple reasons. Cost (both purchase and ownership), time and driving experience. By time I mean my time to really get into and work on the car. I'd like doing that and if I didn't have a job and lots of other distractions I'd really enjoy doing my own maintenance on a Pcar. By driving experience I mean the way a 2300 lb car feels when you toss it around. It's a grown up go kart that makes taking a routine 90 degree corner an experience. Its so small and controllable you can drift it in a roundabout. In other words, it's a car that doesn't require great roads with no traffic to really enjoy. Its also cheap and easy to mod. I've already got a tune that bumped up the HP/torque about 10%. That's a lot for a tune I know but the engine has a potential that is pretty easy to unlock. Other things like wheels, tires, exhaust and suspension are a fraction of Pcar costs. In the future I'd like to autox so that's important.

Some have mentioned the safety aspect and that's a fair point. Since I'm a motorcyclist, that's not an issue for me. It is 10x safer than a bike so it's an upgrade.

I'm fully aware this is not in the same league as a 981 and I'd love to have one some day or possibly a 997.2. The ND isn't fast once you get past 3/4 gear so you need to adjust your expectations if you are used to fast cars. That can be a downside for some. And you won't impress many people except for some real gear heads. All things considered this car suits me well for now. It has a 5 year 60k mile drive train warranty and I don't have to worry about a CEL costing me a vacation in Wailea.

Here's a shot of it after I picked it up. Shoot me a question if you like and thanks for all the great input.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Nip are; 09-20-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 PM
p912guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the Miata. You made the perfect choice for yourself. I am still leaning towards the CPO 981 Boxster. The potential costs of Porsche maintenance and repair are still quite scary but it seems they are pretty solid, if well cared for. In need a little more room and comfort in my DD than the MX-5 can provide. I hope you enjoy your new little RED (perfect color) corner carver for a very long time. Thanks for sharing your journey.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:50 PM
hf1
Banned

I bought the MX-5, club model (no brembo). For those who were asking there are 3 trim levels, sport (base), club (as in club racer) and GT. They are all pretty much the same car but the sport has smaller wheels and less interior tech (no touch screen, lesser stereo etc.). The club has LSD, better suspension, bigger wheels etc.
Great choice and a beautiful color! Enjoy it in good health! I have to go and test drive one soon. 2300lbs sounds really enticing.

Last edited by hf1; 09-20-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

I should have mentioned, this is not a DD for me which is one reason that I wanted to keep the cost equation in check. I doubt I could live with this or any dedicated sports car as a DD.

hf1, yes I'm sure about the features of the different models. You've got to select "manual" transmission to see the suspension and LSD on the club. For some strange reason those things are only available on the club with MT? And yep, 2300 lbs in a well sorted chassis with "ample" power makes for a lot of smiles.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey folks, I just realized this thread was still going so I'll catch you up on my story (I'm the OP). I bought the MX-5, club model (no brembo).
Nip, big congrats! Wise choice IMO. Enjoy your beautiful NEW car

IMO, the main downside is that the car is a tin can on wheels. If you crash, it likely won't be a great outcome for you or your passenger.
Originally Posted by fast1
The downside you specified is the only reason that I don't own a Miata. I live in the country where there are numerous distracted soccer moms driving 5K+ lb tanks to transport the kids. Driving a 2300 lb Miata on these roads is too risky for me, and that's unfortunate because no car is more fun to drive on the street, especially at or near legal speeds.
Absolutely! The NA is a soda can on wheels. . . . . When I drive an NA on a busy road, I'm always on high alert. Fortunately mine are both super bright colors (yellow and mariner blue) that are highly visible. I don't know that I'd really want to use an NA as a daily driver in a populated area, primarily due to the safety aspect. . . .
The safety concerns are clearly justified and I'm not about to argue that the MX-5 is the safest thing on four wheels -- far from it. It's lightness, low weight, invisibility to bigger cars, and less than expansive all around top-up visitbility will never give it superior odds in a head-on with an Escalade.

But I was expecting someone to advance the counter-arugment that because the Mazda is an excellent handling car, it is best suited for accident avoidance.

It's got precise steering and great braking. With the new gen version getting the new platform with ultra-high tensil strength steel throughout, hefty side impact door beams, side airbags, etc., this thing is built about as safe as it could possibly be. Its overall exemplary handling allows one to avoid accidents better than the vast majority of vehicles on the road.

Is one safer in a smaller, nimbler, better-braked car, or a 6,000 lb. behemouth that takes two miles to come to a stop, is overwhelmingly top-heavy, is prone to rollover, and is routinely driven by the proverbial distracted soccor mom on a cell phone with three kids in the back yelling and screaming? Between the two, I'll take the Mazda any day of the week. I want the car that can handle around an accident, stop on a dime, and not roll over. Granted, it's not as visible, but it's far more nimble and maneuverable and that counts for a lot in my book.

While the newest MX-5 hasn't been evaluated in the U.S. by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it has been crash tested in Europe and given a 4 out of 5 star safety rating:

http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/mazda/mx-5/21394

Great vid of the crash testing performed by our European brethern:

And if you go back and look at safety ratings for earlier generation Miatas you will find the car consistently ranked in the middle of the pack as I recall. Not outstanding, but certainly better than many/most. I don't think the car is the rolling grave many think it is. It doesn't warrant the title of "death trap." Stats don't bear that out. Here's a testimonial from a guy that walked away from a crash in his 20 year old Miata:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/i-crash...d-walked-away/

Just playing devil's advocate here trying to advance the flip side.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 PM
hf1
Banned

The safety discussion and comparison was about the "tin can" NA/B vs the new ND. I don't think anyone was raising safety as an issue with the modern ND. And, yes, accident avoidance is a big plus for a nimble 2300lbs car.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats! Love the red. I still miss my BRZ, whenever you get a Porsche try and keep the Miata
Old 09-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats Nip!

I'm a big fan of the Miata, in fact I lusted after the NA when it was first introduced back in 1990 and I read every article and knew of every aftermarket company and modification to improve looks and handling. I know, very odd car for a high school kid to want but I was bitten by the pure sports car bug early on and it never left me.

The ND looks to be the true descendant of that NA with a lightweight and focused nature moreseo in the club model. Enjoy in good health!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM
jliuod
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the Porsche world. I just picked up a 2013 Boxster S. Previously, I have owned 4 miatas. Two NBs, and two NCs. Both NBs were supercharged and factory turbo, the mazdaspeed. Both NCs with stock engine but with upgraded suspension.

All I can say is you get what you pay for. The Boxster S is soooooo... smooth in acceleration and handing comparing to the Miatas. It is just a few levels higher. The Miatas felt more "raw". I am glad I pulled the trigger on the Boxster S.

Now I have tons of things to learn on the Boxster

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata vs. used 981 base