Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718/981 Owners: Is Sport Chrono a "must" when spec'ing a car?

Old 07-31-2016, 01:13 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718/981 Owners: Is Sport Chrono a "must" when spec'ing a car?

I test drove the 718 this week, as I'm trying to fulfill my dream of getting my first new Porsche. My eye is on a manual Cayman. I agree with the turbo Flat 4 vs. NA Flat 6 comments which I'm still debating. But one thing I didn't really know until the test drive.........

Sports Chrono: is this a "must" when spec'ing a car?

I always thought it was just a fancy clock with launch control for PDK. But looks like this is also on a Manual where you can switch between Sports, Sport Plus, and Individual. In my mind, I thought Manual would have taken cared of that as you control the throttle unlike the PDK.

What are your thoughts? I see GT4 owners without them.

Last edited by b5audia4; 07-31-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:38 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sport chrono adds the clock, changes shift points and auto blips on down shifts when in sport plus mode.
the SC package was different on the gt4
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...hrono-package/
Than other 981's.
It was standard for the spyder but it would be a must have on any other purchase for me.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll differ from MIlehigh on this. My Spyder has SC and the auto blip was fun to try a couple times. Normally I like to rev match myself so the auto blip is unnecessary. Maybe I would use it on the track or maybe not. Have not tracked the Spyder yet and it will likely be awhile before I do so.

My chief complaint with SC is that it adds several relatively useless display screens to the digital gauge that interfere with the ability to quickly toggle between the very useful tire pressure and oil temp displays. When using my Cayman (no SC) on track I closely monitor tire pressures and oil temps. Those are numbers that I care about. Maybe there is a way to customize the SC display to get rid of the fluff. But then why pay for it in the first place?

Sports exhaust and sport suspension are the only must have options really.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:49 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Maybe there is a way to customize the SC display to get rid of the fluff.
There is.

Here's my take on that issue. The clock is a must on a 981; dash looks like crap without it. But the chrono looks like crap on 911s and 718s, due to being a wart in the middle of the dash. But other than the aesthetical reason, it also adds sport+, active transmission mounts, launch control (at least on PDKs), and the very useful additional menus, especially the G meter. If I were you, I'd ****** a leftover (but new) 981 GTS, which already has the most desirable factory options, and consider yourself lucky. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 AM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

My personal feeling, it would be a "must" if you are buying a PDK car. Not so much with a manual.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

I like to rev match myself. Part of the fun of having a mt.

I have two cars with launch control. Never used em. I like to launch myself as well.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:10 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Is it like my 07 911 where it changes the rev limiter? My car it changes not the limit but but how it reaches the limit. Mine softens the limit starting at 6,500 till the limit. With sport on it's just a hard limit. I'm not sure if it's still the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718/981 Owners: Is Sport Chrono a "must" when spec'ing a car?