Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder Over Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spyder Over Rev Limiter

Well is there any over limiter. Picked up my Spyder in Stuttgart as part of Euro delivery. Porsche delivery folks told me you can not over rev it. Is that possible?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:49 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes, on a manual car it is possible. But only mechanically, meaning if you accidentally downshift to a lower gear than intended at high engine rpm, like for instance to 2nd instead of 4th (called a 'money shift'), you can overrev the engine. On a PDK car, you cannot. And neither while accelerating on a Spyder, whether in neutral or in gear. That's why buying a used manual car is a risky proposition. The good news is you can get an overrev report, but ask how to interpret it, since the first 2 ranges I believe are not overrevs, the third can be, the fourth is the most dangerous one since damage is not immediate. And fifth leads to engine failure, so not really an issue. I saw those ranges but were on a 987, so that might have changed with the 9A1 (981) engine, hence my suggestion to ask a knowledgeable tech at a dealer. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Not following the explanation fully. Is it possible the manual will not let you down shift from 4th to 2nd based on engine speed? Could the gate lock out based on certain conditions?
Old 08-06-2016, 01:00 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Is it possible the manual will not let you down shift from 4th to 2nd based on engine speed? Could the gate lock out based on certain conditions?
No and no.

BTW Europe does NOT have the rev limitations in the manual for the break in period that the US has (4200RPM).
Old 08-06-2016, 01:01 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with elp_jc.

On a manual you CAN potentially wreck the engine by downshifting (as he says mistakenly: You are in 3rd (let's say). You intend to upshift near the redline into 4th. OOOPS! you accidentally DOWNSHIFT into 2nd, thus mechanically revving the engine to 9,000rpm. byebye engine!

There are no manual gearboxes IMO which prevent this type of error.

I 100% agree with elp_jc that you should get a properly-conducted report on any used car, including an engine overrev report.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:16 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fhp911
I agree with elp_jc.

On a manual you CAN potentially wreck the engine by downshifting (as he says mistakenly: You are in 3rd (let's say). You intend to upshift near the redline into 4th. OOOPS! you accidentally DOWNSHIFT into 2nd, thus mechanically revving the engine to 9,000rpm. byebye engine!

There are no manual gearboxes IMO which prevent this type of error.

I 100% agree with elp_jc that you should get a properly-conducted report on any used car, including an engine overrev report.
I agree 100%. Just find it odd that a very (I assumed) knowledgeable delivery guy telling me that at the factory in Stuttgart while picking up my Spyder. I did question him and remind him this is a manual.

Quick Reply: Spyder Over Rev Limiter