Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WSJ: The Sultrier Snarl of the Turbo Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:30 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beefchopper
Here's one that is a lot less verbose: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...-drive-review/
Much better!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Hopefully you meant 981...

The six cylinder 911 turbo does not fit into the 981.2...Boxster or Cayman.
D'oh! Fixed... thanks.

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
Maybe he has just done his homework better than other journalists
Porsche's mid-engined sportscars come in small numbers compared to the huge fleet of "trucks" providing a much more efficient lever for bringing down the fleet fuel consumption.

Actually one of the Porsche executives in charge of the 718 program spilled the beans in an interview with a german mag:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/porsc...t-8432237.html

Excerpt: "Die Ausgangslage war komplex", erinnert sich Projektleiter Jan Roth. "Zum einen ging es darum, den Abstand zwischen den Mittelmotor- und Heckmotor-Sportwagen zu vergrößern. Zum anderen hätte der Sechszylinder-Turbo im 718 gar keinen Platz gehabt.

Translation: the task at hand was complex. On the one hand we had to increase the distance between the mid-engined and rear-engined sportscars. On the other hand the six cylinder turbo would not have fitted into the 718 chassis.

Regardless of performance figures the downsizing from 6 to 4 cylinders obviously fulfills the marketing driven requirement "to increase the distance".

The Boxster has grown up over the last 20 years whereas the huge price gap vs. the big brother remained. The new fuel efficiency requirements came in handy for telling a nice story why the 718 had to be fitted with a 4-banger and most journos simply repeated this part of the story without mentioning the other part of the story. IMHO the argument that a 6-flat turbo does not fit the car due to packaging issues does not hold much water either. Porsche claims the 718 is a new model rather than a facelift. My eyes see a facelift only...If they really would have introduced a new model they could have redesigned the car in a way which allowed to fit a flat-six turbo.
Well that's what I get for forgetting my fundamental belief that about 97% of anything a journalist says is inaccurate.

I'll just stick with the "it's technically better than the .1 version", then, and leave it at that.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Dan Neil was the longtime auto writer for the LA Times and won a Pulitzer there for automotive journalism. I guarantee he's driven more Porsches than 99% of folks on this board, he's well respected in automotive circles, and if you've read his other reviews you'd know he's not the type to pull punches if a car sucks.

Personally I'm withholding judgement on the 718 until I drive it myself. Judging a car solely based on the number of cylinders (as a lot of the Porsche brethren seem to want to do) is just silly.
+1 again.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:42 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
Porsche claims the 718 is a new model rather than a facelift.
That's almost an insult to the intelligence... to those who offend easily. Ha ha. But all manufacturers pull that crap, thinking people are stupid and will believe whatever they say. As we all know, the 718 is simply a 981.2 (typical facelift) with an engine change, so attaching the history of the 718 to the new car was sacrilege IMO. And the worst case of marketing hype I've seen in a long time. And by looking under the engine of my Cayman, I'd bet my house a smaller H6T would definitely fit. Worst case scenario would have been a slightly smaller rear storage compartment (like from 987 to 981), but I really doubt that. Porsche simply wanted to downgrade the 981s, since people like me know there's absolutely no reason to buy a more expensive 911 when a Cayman GTS is the best Porsche to own. Glad I was able to ****** one of the last GTSs; it was the last chance to own one Porsche in my life, so mission accomplished.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Errrr, it's not a new model even though it has an entirely new motor, almost entirely new sheet metal on the car, new steering rack, new suspension, new brake options, new PCM...?

What about the car is the same that would lead you to believe it's just a .2 facelift?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Errrr, it's not a new model even though it has an entirely new motor, almost entirely new sheet metal on the car, new steering rack, new suspension, new brake options, new PCM...?

What about the car is the same that would lead you to believe it's just a .2 facelift?
That's an easy answer. That he doesn't own one.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You really don't see that it's just a .2 facelift? Since when does a (successful) Porsche generation last just 4 (3 on the Cayman) years? And look at the interior and chassis: It's basically the same. The only thing new is the motor, and it was a downgrade. The rest of the changes and improvements are typical facelift ones.

Originally Posted by beefchopper
That's an easy answer. That he doesn't own one.
And never will because I'm not interested. Recently paid 100 grand for my fully-optioned 2016 Cayman GTS, and that's the only Porsche I'll ever own because it's the only one that interests me.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the new Boxster referred to as a 982, rather than a 981.2. I'm with Archimedes on this one.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:09 AM
rloggie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Quick Reply: WSJ: The Sultrier Snarl of the Turbo Porsche Boxster