Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moved the clock spring a tiny but... Would an alignment help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:50 PM
susko
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved the clock spring a tiny but... Would an alignment help?

Hey guys,

Put a new steering wheel on my 987.1, and I moved the clock spring about half an inch during the install, tried to put it back, but dead center now pulls the car a little to the left.

Would an alignment fix this or do I need to remove everything and move the clock spring back a little bit (or just go to the dealer).

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May need to recalibrate the Steering Angle sensor at the dealer. I've always been very careful not to move the clockspring.
I believe PIWIS is the only way to recalibrate.
Wonder if the PSM is applying one of your brakes.

Will the car drive straight and the steering wheel is just off center, or does it definitely pull to one side?

If you didn't change anything else, that's the only thing I can think of.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 PM
susko
AutoX

Originally Posted by Georound
May need to recalibrate the Steering Angle sensor at the dealer. I've always been very careful not to move the clockspring.

Will the car drive straight and the steering wheel is just off center, or does it definitely pull to one side?

Thanks for the response. So I tested the car on a flat road, it doesn't pull if the wheel is set a little to the right, the car goes straight.

Does this mean an alignment would likely fix it?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If by alignment you mean changing the suspension settings I would say don't do it. Instead, fix the thing that you screwed up in the first place. Then if there is a separate alignment issue fix that next. The problem you describe is not related to the alignment settings.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Agree - the alignment should be unchanged.
The position of the steering wheel is messed up and needs to be fixed. It will drive fine, but won't be centered. Mostly a cosmetic issue.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Georound
Instructor

Super easy fix....just pull the steering wheel off and move one or two splines(depending on the degree of rotation) and tighten it all back down. It can be done in less than 5 minutes with some practice.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 PM
susko
AutoX

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
If by alignment you mean changing the suspension settings I would say don't do it. Instead, fix the thing that you screwed up in the first place. Then if there is a separate alignment issue fix that next. The problem you describe is not related to the alignment settings.
Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Agree - the alignment should be unchanged.
The position of the steering wheel is messed up and needs to be fixed. It will drive fine, but won't be centered. Mostly a cosmetic issue.
Super easy fix....just pull the steering wheel off and move one or two splines(depending on the degree of rotation) and tighten it all back down. It can be done in less than 5 minutes with some practice.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I guess what I'm asking is-- if I'm going to get an alignment anyway, could I save myself the task of removing and adjusting the steering wheel (possible two or more times to get it just right) just by asking them to align my steering wheel dead center while they are doing the alignment of the suspension / tracking.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Georound
Instructor

Yes, tie rods can be adjusted.

Quick Reply: Moved the clock spring a tiny but... Would an alignment help?