Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the 718S traded my Cayenne GTS for a 981 GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,341 Posts
Default Drove the 718S traded my Cayenne GTS for a 981 GTS.

I really liked the changes they made with the 718S but after test driving it I find I have the same problem with all the new turbo engines. They do perform no doubt about that. Much more nimble and very responsive than a 981S. There were two points that turned me off other than the price once I finished optioning it the way I wanted. The car is clearly a turbo, feels like a turbo and the tranny works hard to cover that up but just doesn't quite do it for me. When driving the car hard it is very responsive and feels lighter than the 981's. But when your driving around town it sounds like a VW beetle and is sluggish. I also was surprised to find what seems to be a torque issue when getting on it hard and then braking hard and back on the gas it seemed as though there was a lot of torque running through that tranny that it didn't know what to do with and will eventually IMO cause problems.

So after a lot of searching a very nice 15 981GTS appeared at my local dealer and received a call immediately. Our 14 Cayenne GTS was probably one of the most heavily optioned GTS's I have seen but for this one we weren't looking for too much. My wife insisted on Nav other than that she was fine.

Rhodium silver over black leather with alcantara. Red seat belts and dials. Sport suspension, Convenience package, auto dimming mirrors w/rain sensor, Info package with Bose, 20 " carrera S wheels in satin black and crested caps, fire extinguisher, sport steering wheel and manual tranny.

I haven't had much opportunity to take it out yet but it is a nice ride. Sport suspension is not bad and handles quite well no need for PASM. I expected the GTS to be quicker but it is fast enough. I know they engineer the exhaust note on these cars but I have to admit it sounds very much like my 94 turbo especially the burble when you lift. My wife really likes this one I hope I can get the keys away from her and do some driving myslef.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful car and great choice. I haven't driven a 718 yet, but after all the comments, I'm curious and will head out to test drive one. I seriously doubt that I will be trading my 981S anytime soon for the 4 cyl turbo.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great. This was what I found comparing the 991.2 with the 991.1. The newer car is very fast and great when one is really on it, but just didn't feel as special for everyday use, and I do use it every day. Plus if you do end up wanting to add a bit of midrange to the 981 a set of sport headers and a Cobb tune will do wonders...
Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Best of all worlds a good looking lady in a good looking car! Enjoy your Porsche
Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

Took it out for a long drive today, definitely a fun car and great sound. They really have come a long way.

Needs clear corners and grills for the radiators. I can see a lot of debris and fins damaged from being exposed.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:54 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
My wife really likes this one I hope I can get the keys away from her and do some driving myslef.
Congrats, Anthony! Great pick-up.

Smart man to keep the misses happy
Old 07-20-2016, 05:07 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Enjoy your beautiful Pcar.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the first hand comments.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM
porci944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car and driver!!! Enjoy your new baby!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Anthony,
Congrats on the new addition. The more you drive it the more you'll appreciate the car's capability. Oh yea, the sport plus button enables some good noises...
Old 07-26-2016, 06:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Anthony,
Congrats on the new addition. The more you drive it the more you'll appreciate the car's capability. Oh yea, the sport plus button enables some good noises...
Thanks Bob,

Too much craziness in my life so no time to prep the track car so we are taking it to the glen this weekend. I have been having a blast driving it and have grown to appreciate the rev matching especially. Took a while to stop myself from doing it automatically.

Hopefully I will make one of the drives this fall with it.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:45 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 946 Posts

My dealer, Sunset Porsche had a great track day yesterday at Portland International Raceway. They had PCNA bring out a ton of Porsches with some instructors from the Porsche Birmingham Driving School as well. In doing so they had a 718 Boxster S and a 981 Cayman GTS on a Autocross course. It was great to drive them back to back. You definitely notice the instant torque, but you also notice the sound difference. The GTS sounded so much better. I wish they had it on the track though as I wanted to stretch it's legs more as I think you would definitely notice more of a power band difference there as well. Pretty funny how much they were talking up the sound on how awesome it was. Also funny that they kept stating that it had a twin turbo Pretty sad when official PNCA drivers don't have the tech right. I think you made the right choice with the GTS. At the end of it I think the 718 will do good after the initial shock wears off from us NA guys... reminds me when Porsche stopped doing air-cooled. The future will be interesting on how they position the next GTS to GT4 and Spyder.

Quick Reply: Drove the 718S traded my Cayenne GTS for a 981 GTS.