Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post: 981 Cayman steering column adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Lee1974
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post: 981 Cayman steering column adjustment

Greetings. This is my first and excited to be a member here.

I have a 2016 Cayman s and today when getting in the car I noticed that the steering column (electric adjustments) would not adjust up or down. It will move forward and back with the toggle switch under the column, but not up or down.

I'm currently in the car on vacation and really don't want to drive 500 miles home with the steering in this position. Any help is appreciated!!!

Lee
Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Lee, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the steering column adjustment problem you're having.

I'm guessing you've never had problems before with this on your Cayman S and this is the first time it's happened, correct? If so, and if the adjustment toggle switch has always worked before so you could move the column up and down, then clearly there's a mechanical issue that you'll have to address when you get back from vacation (unless you conveniently run into a Porsche dealer during your travels).

But if the car is new to you and this is the first time you're trying to adjust the steering column, then it may be something you're not doing right on your end with the adjustment control switch. I only have manual height and fore/aft adjustment on mine - not electric - so I may be in left field, but check out this very short video of a guy adjusting the column on his Macan:

I suspect the electronic control switch is similar to that in your Cayman. If so, note how he manipulates the switch - by pulling it out, pushing it down, etc. - to get the desired setting. I know it's not the greatest video, but it may be helpful.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: First post: 981 Cayman steering column adjustment