Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 vs 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 AM
/five
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 981 vs 997 GT3

Hi all,
I currently have a 997.1 GT3 and am strongly considering selling for a 981 Spyder. I'd welcome any feedback from those of you who have experience with both cars.

I feel that the 981 may be a bit better suited for my current wants, which is a street-driven, weekend fun car. I have not yet driven a 981 but like the fact that it has a NA engine and manual transmission plus I've always wanted to have a convertible.

My hesitations center around giving up the Mezger engine of the GT3 which is simply incredible and to a lesser extent exposing myself to the expected depreciation of the new car. I originally hoped to gain track experience with the GT3, but a move means that won't happen. And frankly the GT3 is too much car for the street.

I'm pretty torn and would love any input .

Many thanks

Last edited by /five; 07-10-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy would I love to be in your shoes and have a GT3! I might not be able to give you a direct comparison because I have never ever ever ever been in a GT3 but given your driving preference and that you have not one any track days where within 3 months of mine I already did Road Atlanta and am going back there again in October, perhaps what I say may be of help.

Get the Spyder you won't regret it. The mid engine configuration is awesome. It does understeer but a more aggressive front camber alignment will dial that out. I think it's the best looking Porsche in recent years and unlike most convertibles it looks great top up and top down. The roof takes a tiny bit of getting used to put up and put down but I love it.

The Pirelli rubber on it is great contrary to what other people might say.

The manual transmission though I would prefer a PDK is a peach. There might be some grinding as you break the car in. I didn't really break my car in. My car is 1700 miles in and I have already tracked it. Will do an oil change at 2k miles. My grinding disappeared within 500 miles of owning the car.

But your thoughts about the Spyder being a weekend fun car is spot on. And if you want to go to the track and have fun trust me you will shame plenty of cars and you will be surprised. Certainly my experience at Road atlanta.

And put it this way the Spyder is 7 sec slower than the GT4 around the Ring. Spyder does not have the stickier rubber or the track suspension. I bet if the Spyder had the same rubber that would net about 5 sec in gain on the GT4. So yeah it's one hell of a car.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

/five - thanks for posting. You have a great first-world problem that many of us have faced.

Now although my situation is not exactly like yours I'll nevertheless add a few cents (CND).

Two years ago I ran into the opportunity of trading in a Mezger (08 TT cab) for my Gen-1 Spyder. They are really different cars and if the Turbo had been a coupe I might have tried to have both. Of note, these mid-engined cars are an exceptional platform and the Gen-2 Spyder appears to have taken it to a new level in many ways. It's an excellent car but like many new cars has some short comings (IMO).

The real issue that I see you getting into is A) leaving a legacy, collectible car - your .1 GT3 - with all of it's 'analog' driving and interior simplicity and getting into B) a superior (?) performing car but with a lot of digital stuff and an interior that is more complex. You may initially enjoy the newness of the Gen-2 Spyder, and it is a REALLY cool car, but after a while miss the simplicity of the GT3.

Note: I say all this as I grapple with owning a new Macan GTS and all of it's digital driving aids, a rather dead steering feel, and a dizzying array of interior doo-dads. I am fortunate enough to have the Gen-1 Spyder and a 993 that are refreshingly simple to turn to.

My suggestion is, and your pocket may not like this is... yep you guessed it... get both (sorry). The Spyder would be a perfect stable mate for your GT3. You would have a modern, top-off, DD canyon-carver, and a legendary more analog car, replete with it's noisy Mezger, to turn to.

Sorry to 'brake' (pun intended) the bad news to your pocket-book. You can always sell one of the other later on if you are just not driving one. But the GT3 will most likely be harder to get back into if you decide later on.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I've never driven a 997 GT3, but if it's anything like the 996 GT3 I owned, the Spyder is my preferred car for street use. The sound of that Metzger at redline is amazing. The analog feel of the GT3 is truly special, and if I were choosing to track a street car, I'd possibly choose the GT3 over the Spyder. However, the Spyder holds it's own in the sound department, and for a street car, is way more comfortable for my purposes. As a weekend fun street car I'd choose the Spyder. It is truly a very special experience every time I get in this magnificent machine!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

i have a 997.1 GT3 and a GT4. of course, the only right answer to your question is to own both

but if you can only own one - the 981 is a better daily driver. smooth, capable, exciting yet still comfortable. the perfect balance of performance, "exoticness" and usability.

driving the GT3 is an event, as you of course know. it's stiff, loud, violent, razor sharp - - and ridiculously intoxicating. it's less of a daily driver, sometimes a pain in the ***, but more special.

so it all depends on your intended usage.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 PM
/five
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Gentlemen, thank you all for taking the time to post such insightful replies. You've given me lots to think about and I'm as undecided as before!

It is tempting to own both, but the reality is I have an infant son, busy job and I am at that point in my life where I need to be aggressively funding retirement, etc.. I'll be lucky to put 1500 miles annually on whichever car I keep/get, so having 2 just isn't realistic.

I love how raw and visceral the gt3 is, but it's impossible to open it up on the street which can be maddening! I came from motorcycles, followed by a 930 turbo and now the gt3. I am learning the wisdom that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast when it comes to the street. In that sense the Spyder seems a great compromise (not meant in a disparaging way). Great exhaust note, great looks and a performer in its own right.

Another option I thought about is getting a car with a back seat so we can use it for family weekend getaways. My sensible wife reminded me that means hauling a ton of baby stuff and any Pcar that I would want to own is out. She reiterated that this is an extra car and one that I need to enjoy for just me.

I thought too about keeping the GT3 but adding an old MGA. This would give me a slow car to push a little and remain affordable enough that I could keep the GT3. (I can find a good example for 20-25k). I restored one 15 years ago and had to sell when I moved- they're great fun but death traps in modern traffic and I want air bags and abs (one of the reasons the 930 is gone). Hence the MGA idea is out.

From a money standpoint, I sold my 930 for 50k about 18 mos ago before they really shot up and as zeus993 and evil panda alluded to above, the gt3 is potentially poised to appreciate. I don't look at these cars as investments, but I'd hate to miss another appreciation event and am aware that it could be tough to get back into a gt3 if they do go up in price in the future. Point in favor of keeping the GT3 and potentially a strike against the Spyder. That said, I saw a Mexico blue Spyder recently and if I hold out for a paint to sample or other unusual configuration, this may blunt depreciation some.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness but pecking this out in my iPhone and baby I want to play with!

Your wisdom is appreciated and thanks for the responses.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Have you considered a Miata? I did Skip Barber race school in an MX-5 cup car, and am a big fan as a result.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Okay I'll say it - why not a GT4?
Old 07-11-2016, 03:03 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Because it has a fixed roof???

And because TS wants a car for street use because his Gt3 is to much for the street.

GT3 > GT4 is trading dowm imho
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by /five
I love how raw and visceral the gt3 is, but it's impossible to open it up on the street which can be maddening! I came from motorcycles, followed by a 930 turbo and now the gt3. I am learning the wisdom that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast when it comes to the street. ................
If you enjoy driving 997 GT3, I would suggest to keep it, as others pointed out. I personally wouldn't worry much about appreciation; but, it is likely, not withstanding the fact that 991.2 GT3 is expected to have MT. It is about old school feeling and the hydraulic steering.

You reflected what I toally belive in: it's more fun to drive slow car fast! It is more gratifying on the streets. Most modern sports cars, including Spyder, gotten too fast for the streets. Combined with tall gearing, they are not as much fun. It is frustrating to know how manufacturers are not willing or able to isolate stree driving vs high speed track or autobahn driving.

So, if you are simply looking to add a 'low speed fun' ride that's also reliable and easy on the maintenance, one great choice: S2000! As much as I love the Spyder, S2000 is hard to beat when it comes to low speed fun. The gearing is super low. If you enjoy shifting a lot, I mean a lot, this is your ticket. Miata is nice (have had three over the years); but, S2000 is better. Much better. The chassis is pretty stiff. The shifter is just a tad better than Spyder's. There are endless ways to make it better as well.

So, 997 GT3 and S2000 would be a great combo, assuming it's not GT3 and Spyder, which would be ideal.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

It appears your main concern is that you feel your 997s GT3's performance envelop is over the top for street driving. I have news for you, the 981 Spyder or GT4 won't be much different in that regard. You cannot safely approach the limits of what these cars are capable of on public roads.

If you are looking for a car with similar performance envelop but in a slightly more livable form and a convertible then the 981 Spyder is a very good choice.

If you want a car you can wring out though, a non S 981 with an MT might be your best choice.

Gentlemen, thank you all for taking the time to post such insightful replies. You've given me lots to think about and I'm as undecided as before!

It is tempting to own both, but the reality is I have an infant son, busy job and I am at that point in my life where I need to be aggressively funding retirement, etc.. I'll be lucky to put 1500 miles annually on whichever car I keep/get, so having 2 just isn't realistic.

I love how raw and visceral the gt3 is, but it's impossible to open it up on the street which can be maddening! I came from motorcycles, followed by a 930 turbo and now the gt3. I am learning the wisdom that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast when it comes to the street. In that sense the Spyder seems a great compromise (not meant in a disparaging way). Great exhaust note, great looks and a performer in its own right.

Another option I thought about is getting a car with a back seat so we can use it for family weekend getaways. My sensible wife reminded me that means hauling a ton of baby stuff and any Pcar that I would want to own is out. She reiterated that this is an extra car and one that I need to enjoy for just me.

I thought too about keeping the GT3 but adding an old MGA. This would give me a slow car to push a little and remain affordable enough that I could keep the GT3. (I can find a good example for 20-25k). I restored one 15 years ago and had to sell when I moved- they're great fun but death traps in modern traffic and I want air bags and abs (one of the reasons the 930 is gone). Hence the MGA idea is out.

From a money standpoint, I sold my 930 for 50k about 18 mos ago before they really shot up and as zeus993 and evil panda alluded to above, the gt3 is potentially poised to appreciate. I don't look at these cars as investments, but I'd hate to miss another appreciation event and am aware that it could be tough to get back into a gt3 if they do go up in price in the future. Point in favor of keeping the GT3 and potentially a strike against the Spyder. That said, I saw a Mexico blue Spyder recently and if I hold out for a paint to sample or other unusual configuration, this may blunt depreciation some.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness but pecking this out in my iPhone and baby I want to play with!

Your wisdom is appreciated and thanks for the responses.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I need to be aggressively funding retirement, etc..
Then I wouldn't spend the money to buy anything new. IMO, 997 GT3 is going to keep going up in value. The very least, prices will stay flat. Versus the 981 Spyder will most certainly depreciate for the next 3 years to 5 years before bottoming out. If this new car will be your "halo, forever" car, then by all means. But to me, the 997GT3 is just as special if not more.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:21 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Keep the GT3, but if possible also consider a 987.2 Spyder. It's half the cost of the 981 and an incredible car to enjoy on the street. I've got both and they are perfect compliments to one another. If I could only have 1, I'd probably keep the GT3, but it would be one heck of an internal debate.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Then I wouldn't spend the money to buy anything new. IMO, 997 GT3 is going to keep going up in value. The very least, prices will stay flat. Versus the 981 Spyder will most certainly depreciate for the next 3 years to 5 years before bottoming out. If this new car will be your "halo, forever" car, then by all means. But to me, the 997GT3 is just as special if not more.
Speculation is just that. We clearly see things differently. Here's my take. If the rumored MT 991.2 GT3 becomes reality, I wouldn't count on the 997 GT3 going up in value.

On the other hand The 981 Spyder is the last limited edition open top Porsche, and the only limited edition open top Porsche from the series the marks the end of non GT Porsches with NA engines. There was no Speedster for the 991.1 series so the 981 Spyder is pretty much it if you want the last open top limited edition Porsche with a 3.8L engine..

Also, the Spyder along with the GT4 are the only midengine Porsches to ever sport the Carrera S 3.8 L engine. With Porsche clearly embracing turbo 4s for the 718 line and a North American production run of 850-900 981 Spyders, I wouldn't count on prices bottoming.

Not to mention the Spyder is drop dead gorgeous.

Last edited by Underblu; 07-12-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:20 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Apples and oranges. I had .2 GT3 which luckily my younger son has now (parked next to his California-rough life) and I'm glad it's still in the family as it is one of the best cars I've ever had. Last of the real 911's in my book unless you can afford or find a 911R- good luck!
The Spyder will live in AZ where I will rarely put the top up- it will be a cruiser to share time with the 914.
Nothing compares the feel of the GT3 and the sound of the Mezger engine, but actually the shift linkage on the Spyder is much better. The clutch also is more user friendly on the 981.
Try to have one of each! Who needs to eat anyway!!

Quick Reply: 981 vs 997 GT3