Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 vs 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:44 AM
/five
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish I could buy a round for you all-some interesting comments and suggestions.

I took the gt3 out for a short while again yesterday and was reminded at what an occasion it is to drive this car: having to contort myself into the CGT buckets, the raspy start followed by the lumpy idle, going through a kind of pre-flight ritual checking analog gauges and letting the Valentine wake up, adjusting mirrors and leg pressing the clutch to back out of the garage. It doesn't set off neighbor's car alarms like an obnoxious Ducati I used to ride and it doesn't smell like gas and oil the way my 930 did, but it is still pleasingly antisocial.

I'm not sure I won't get rid of the gt3 yet, but the bar to replace it will be high. A lot of great cars have been suggested and I need to drive them before I go much deeper down this hole. I can probably find a Miata and possibly an S2000 locally, but likely will need to make a road trip to drive the 981, 987.2 and possibly even a gt4.

It's been about 10 years since I've fooled around with motorcycles, but in hindsight my interests followed a similar parallel and I should probably heed that lesson. I started riding old school BMW R75/5s, graduated to sport bikes and ended back full circle with vintage BMWs. I've got an 85 VW Vanagon Westfalia parked next to our modern daily drivers so I guess at my core, I'm more of an analog hydraulic junkie.

As I write this, I'm talking myself into keeping the GT3 but am smitten enough with the Spyder that I need to see and drive one before I can feel settled!

Skl- just saw your post. We were typing at the same time. It was a twin to your Mexico blue Spyder that I saw a couple weekends ago in CO that started this. Damn that's a good looking car! I enjoyed your comments too on the gt3 and shift linkage.
Enjoy those cars in good health

Last edited by /five; 07-12-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:02 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
The Spyder will live in AZ where I will rarely put the top up- it will be a cruiser to share time with the 914.
A little out of subject, but may I ask why you kept the 914-4 over the 914-6? Thought the latter was a much more desirable car. Thx.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:36 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by /five
It's been about 10 years since I've fooled around with motorcycles, but in hindsight my interests followed a similar parallel and I should probably heed that lesson. I started riding old school BMW R75/5s, graduated to sport bikes and ended back full circle with vintage BMWs. I've got an 85 VW Vanagon Westfalia parked next to our modern daily drivers so I guess at my core, I'm more of an analog hydraulic junkie.

It's hard to let go 997 GT3. If I weren't a hardcore open-top guy, will definitely have one. Sadly, I got no use for a coupe! As for motorcycles, no car can provide all the elemental feelings of moving through the air, ever! Not even a Caterham Seven or Ariel Atom! I can never stop riding a sport bike. You can always get back on the saddle; it will remind you what you missed for a period of time!

With Spyder, you are in a tight spot, with respect to GT3! You may have to delay the retirement savings by a few years!! It is that good! :-)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:27 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 997.2 GT3 to a 981 Boxster 2.7 PDK. The Boxster is a much better street car in almost every way and much more modern. The 981 Spyder is very desirable and I'm looking forward to driving one. But neither is a GT3.

When I had my GT3, I swapped out the passenger side GT2 bucket for a Cayman seat, and installed a factory airbag deactivation kit. This way I could fit a child seat in the car. I took my then three-year old son on many country drives and to pre-school more than once. I'll treasure those moments for the rest of my life.

If I was in your position, I would keep the GT3.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 PM
/five
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Zanwar, that's a cool photo and thanks for sharing. It wasn't a Porsche but my dad had a BMW Bavaria when I was a baby and little boy. Everyone is more safety conscious now but I definitely remember being in the front seat (probably sans booster seat) singing along to Rod Stewart's Hot Legs when I was a little guy like that. Good memories for sure.

I just dropped the car off for service and asked them to perform a PPI so I have one current in case I do decide to sell or trade. The GT3 is a very special car and I was reminded of that by the service guys who came over to check it out.

Hope everyone has a good weekend
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently became more familiar with the Spyder by doing a deep dive and it's a sleeper.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:05 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Bklyn964Turbo
I recently became more familiar with the Spyder by doing a deep dive and it's a sleeper.
Originally Posted by Underblu
Speculation is just that. We clearly see things differently. Here's my take. If the rumored MT 991.2 GT3 becomes reality, I wouldn't count on the 997 GT3 going up in value.

On the other hand The 981 Spyder is the last limited edition open top Porsche, and the only limited edition open top Porsche from the series the marks the end of non GT Porsches with NA engines. There was no Speedster for the 991.1 series so the 981 Spyder is pretty much it if you want the last open top limited edition Porsche with a 3.8L engine..

Also, the Spyder along with the GT4 are the only midengine Porsches to ever sport the Carrera S 3.8 L engine. With Porsche clearly embracing turbo 4s for the 718 line and a North American production run of 850-900 981 Spyders, I wouldn't count on prices bottoming.

Not to mention the Spyder is drop dead gorgeous.
Originally Posted by Bklyn964Turbo
I couldn't agree with you more...while the 981 Spyder might take a depreciation hit I think it won't be for long...this car says collector all over it when you consider where Porsche is going with it's engines...there's no way to tell but the 991 R basically chin checked all those with the 997 GT3 that thought they were the last of the Mohegan...as in the last manual transmissions...love the GT3s and even if the next gen GT3 has a manual the 997 GT3 will still be an amazing car to keep. It just want see the ridiculous appreciation it has seen in the last two years.

The Spyder is a really intriguing choice and one that I would consider.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,853 Likes on 2,395 Posts

a gt3 is a ritual. sometimes you just hate it. bouncy, noisy, and that pos shifter ....
but those are the religious qualities that gets UNDER your skin.
selling it to buy spyder is fine now, but in 6 months you will have some regrets.
i would wait and add spyder or i you want a slower car to push, S2000/mx5 are both wonderful cars.

you mentioned u want to push a MGA? great looking car. and i am certain you will be doing a lot of PUSHING b/c they rarely work. when they do, they are magical. but if your main thing of getting one is PUSHING it. then by all means, no other cars are better.

Quick Reply: 981 vs 997 GT3