Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche on a 60k budget?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Porsche on a 60k budget?

Posting this here since it's where my heart is.

I'm finally coming up on a major milestone in my life and want to celebrate it by buying my first Porsche. I've wanted one since seeing a blue 993 reviewed in Car and Driver growing up, and I'm at the point now where I'm beginning to shop for one. My question is: how do I decide between the options? I'm setting a budget of approximately $60k, and the things I've thought about include:

1. Used Cayman S/GTS (current front runner)
2. Boxster Spyder
3. 997 CS
4. 996/997 Turbo of some sort?
5. Spending half the budget on a 996/987 Cayman instead

To make things more complicated, I'm also on the list for a new M2 for next year, which I'd love to combine with ED.

How did you guys make the decision on what to get? As I've been researching what to get, I've been reading Rennlist/reviews too much and I've gotten caught up thinking a "regular" Porsche isn't enough. Ridiculous, but looking at the depreciation curves, maybe not so ridiculous.

How did you guys decide?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Cayman GTS in the 60's is gonna be hard to find but that would be real tempting. It's really hard to answer your questions. Are you leaning towards convertible or hard top? Does 2 seater matter vs 2.5 seater (911)? Is power more important than handling? Do you want a comfy GT or a tight small sports car? Me personally, I would not buy anything from 996 era, just because I had one and it was a nightmare. Ownership stories may vary. In fact I would not buy any water cooled car older than 2009. But that rule does put your budget under seige. Have you considered a Cayman R? Can be found at or below 60k.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

I'll make your decision some what easier. Porsche is in a different league as compared to BMW and I have owned several M cars, so I'll say focus on porsche
As far as porsche is concerned I'll stick with cars that have 2-3 years of warranty left either original or CPO warranty.You want to avoid potential headache with cars out off warranty and large repair bills.
cosidering the above probably your best bet is a cayman/boxterS/GTS and I think you can grab one within your budget most likely S not GTS
Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 PM
jehu999
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good position to be in, you have the means to get something you've wanted and now can hunt for the right car. Remember the hunt is part of the fun. Take your time reading, looking and driving several cars before you buy. This forum and other places (magazines, PCA and Excellence) have lots of info and opinions. A PPI is strongly recommended by some.

I have always looked for something unique when buying a fun car, be it color, model and/or accessories. Because of that, I've usually paid a bit more for them than the more common models, sometimes quite a bit more. The upside is that they have the possibility of retaining value and some of mine have actually increased in value. But don't buy as a financial investment, buy what really inspires and excites you.

So, in your price range the two P-cars that come to mind are the 996 GT3 or the Boxster Spyder (MY '11 or '12).

For the GT3 I would look for one with ceramic brakes, a must for me, other might disagree. The spyder would need to have LWBS.

Happy hunting, keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Last winter, there were quite a few nicely optioned Boxster/Cayman GTS for sold for $65K, prices always go to $5K-10K for the summer so you might be able to pick one up for $60K comes October. The 981 is a far superior chassis to the 987/997. I wouldn't even bother with a 996 but that's just me. If you need the backseats, a 997 isn't a bad choice, it's a great sports car. Forget about the M2, I too use to own an M3, you can't compare BMW to Porsche. If you are not in a hurry, wait until winter to pick up a GTS.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

For mid $50K's, you cant beat a 987.2 Spyder. I've owned most of the cars you describe above and I have to say the Gen 1 Spyder, based on your budget, is simply an awesome choice!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Last winter, there were quite a few nicely optioned Boxster/Cayman GTS for sold for $65K, prices always go to $5K-10K for the summer so you might be able to pick one up for $60K comes October. The 981 is a far superior chassis to the 987/997. I wouldn't even bother with a 996 but that's just me. If you need the backseats, a 997 isn't a bad choice, it's a great sports car. Forget about the M2, I too use to own an M3, you can't compare BMW to Porsche. If you are not in a hurry, wait until winter to pick up a GTS.
I agree, simply put the 981 platform especially with PASM or the sport suspension is pretty close to super car good. Nimble, taught, secure, yet surprisingly well mannered for everyday drives, it's the closest I've come to evoking the feeling I've had in a Ferrari or a Mclaren with one significant exception. It's not nearly as fast.

Also the 981 especially in convertible form is also somewhat exotic looking particularly in comparison to the more common 991. Not recent exotic mind you, more like 60s Ferrari exotic. Anyway that would be my choice and if you can pick up a good GTS version for that price it's a score afaic.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:44 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
A Cayman GTS in the 60's is gonna be hard to find but that would be real tempting. It's really hard to answer your questions. Are you leaning towards convertible or hard top? Does 2 seater matter vs 2.5 seater (911)? Is power more important than handling? Do you want a comfy GT or a tight small sports car? Me personally, I would not buy anything from 996 era, just because I had one and it was a nightmare. Ownership stories may vary. In fact I would not buy any water cooled car older than 2009. But that rule does put your budget under seige. Have you considered a Cayman R? Can be found at or below 60k.
Cayman GTS pricing has me confused, as I see them languishing on dealership websites for months. PP numbers seem much more inline with what I'd expect. In any case, I'm looking to buy in the winter/spring, so I've got some time. The 2 vs 2.5 seater doesn't matter too me too much. I figure I'll own a 911 at some point in the future, and don't want to miss out on the flat-6 and the chance to have two seats for a DD while I can.

Originally Posted by jehu999
I have always looked for something unique when buying a fun car, be it color, model and/or accessories. Because of that, I've usually paid a bit more for them than the more common models, sometimes quite a bit more. The upside is that they have the possibility of retaining value and some of mine have actually increased in value. But don't buy as a financial investment, buy what really inspires and excites you.

So, in your price range the two P-cars that come to mind are the 996 GT3 or the Boxster Spyder (MY '11 or '12).

For the GT3 I would look for one with ceramic brakes, a must for me, other might disagree. The spyder would need to have LWBS.

Happy hunting, keep us posted.
Yeah, the 996 GT3 is also on the list, but like the Spyder, I worry about how practical it will be for what I hope to drive daily.

This is what I want to hear. Like I said above, I'm in no hurry to buy right now and would ideally buy next spring. The M2 is on the list because I feel it's definitely a "special" car. I'd buy it, drive it for a few years, and get a Porsche down the road. Typing that does seem a bit silly, however.

Originally Posted by christallon
For mid $50K's, you cant beat a 987.2 Spyder. I've owned most of the cars you describe above and I have to say the Gen 1 Spyder, based on your budget, is simply an awesome choice!
The 987 Spyder ticks all of the boxes, although I kind of worry that it's getting a bit long in the tooth in terms of some of the things I want for a DD (mainly the ability to connect my phone to stream music). I know it's a trivial thing, but if there's a chance I'm going to be sitting in traffic I want it.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I agree, simply put the 981 platform especially with PASM or the sport suspension is pretty close to super car good. Nimble, taught, secure, yet surprisingly well mannered for everyday drives, it's the closest I've come to evoking the feeling I've had in a Ferrari or a Mclaren with one significant exception. It's not nearly as fast.

Also the 981 especially in convertible form is also somewhat exotic looking particularly in comparison to the more common 991. Not recent exotic mind you, more like 60s Ferrari exotic. Anyway that would be my choice and if you can pick up a good GTS version for that price it's a score afaic.
I agree with every you've said, especially the exotic looking part. Non car enthusiast always thinks it's something special when I drive my 981.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

$60k could get you a dozen 944's.

Think of how much fun that could be.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

I would get a 987 Spyder for that price....
Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

If you can deal with the top (or don't need one - I do and can't deal), I might try the 987 Spyder. If you need a reliable power top, I would get a 981 Boxster. I think there was a '13 S for sale here for low $50s? I'm on my second 981 Boxster (with a TT in the middle - could not deal with the PDK and it was too fast to enjoy on the street) and it's an incredible platform. I had an S and this is a GTS. I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference if blindfolded except for this one has the X73, which is terrific even as a DD.
And being in the market has its own joy. Lots of fun to shop.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Non car enthusiast always thinks it's something special when I drive my 981.

And they are correct.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:44 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
How did you guys make the decision on what to get?
There isn't a way. You exclude a couple of models when driving them but there will be multiple cars left. You just buy a "random" one when a good deal comes along and prepare to trade later. Buy something that looks like it gives you few surprises that make later trades difficult.

As I've been researching what to get, I've been reading Rennlist/reviews too much and I've gotten caught up thinking a "regular" Porsche isn't enough. Ridiculous, but looking at the depreciation curves, maybe not so ridiculous.

How did you guys decide?
Overly "normal" can mean bad resale. At least a long time for somebody to bite, and probably a bit on the price, too. If you are concerned about resell speed nd value and if you can keep the miles low, try to go for something special like a 987 Spyder.

If you do a lot of miles, better be prepared to either use up the car yourself, or get something that is already cheap from miles and do preventative maintenance yourself, first thing after taking it home.

The $60,000 mark has seen 997 turbos and 997 GTSens last winter, if they were a bit beaten and had funny sellers.

The oldest base 991s come in not much above 60k, that's awesome value for a great GT car. What the value will be like when you resell? Who knows? The nosedive might continue so you lose a lot of that 60k. Or people could decide they like the 991.1 better than the 991.2 and they suddenly stabilize at those $60,000.

Personally I am in the Boxster camp more than the 911 camp. I'd spend $60,000 on a 987 Spyder if I did few miles or a 981 S with Burmester and full leather if I use the car up anyway.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I doubt you will find a 996 GT3 for $60K. I haven't seen one like that in quite some time. If you did it will bottom of the barrel and likely not what you'd be looking for.

If I had that budget and had lusted after a P-car I think I'd look long an hard at a 991. For a first time owner with a desire to DD I think a late model car will prove out to be very enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Porsche on a 60k budget?