Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spyder top procedure question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:47 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default spyder top procedure question

when raising back up the spyder top (newest version of spyder 2016 model ) is there a trick to snapping back into in place the 2 wings on each side ? one side just went in easily other side not so much, is there a trick ?

thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 838 Likes on 384 Posts

Hey bud.

Don't fully close trunk or attach header - this leaves some slack. Depress the little button while pressing in wing.

If this fails, beat it in with palm of your hand!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:50 AM
chronarion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to check, are you putting it in before or after you latch the inside?
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The drivers side flap doesn't click like the passengers on my car. I have to recheck and often redo it while putting the top up.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:26 AM
NYC123
Banned

Thanks guys I was trying to do it after fully closing top and trunk. After reading comments here I tried doing it before closing top and trunk it worked fine. Is there a manual or supplement to manual that explains proper procedure for putting top or and down ? My manual just looks like a standard boxster manual with nothing special for the spyder top, but maybe I did not look close enough.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Similar to above, I latch last - seems to allow enough slack to push in without any problems.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:26 PM
chronarion
Intermediate

Yeah, I find it virtually impossible to put the wings on after I latch the inside due to the tension. Trick i've used is to put the wings on, then sit inside and guide the hook into place. Watch the hook carefully as it goes in, it'll snap out if not correctly aligned. You can guide it with your fingers, just watch out not to pinch your skin!
Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
........ My manual just looks like a standard boxster manual with nothing special for the spyder top, but maybe I did not look close enough.

Thanks
Yes, the manual does have a section for Spyder top. It is right after automated top section.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:16 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by chronarion
....... You can guide it with your fingers, just watch out not to pinch your skin!
I would NOT recommend using your fingers to guide the hook into it's position. The finger could slip and get severed! Use both the hands to push the top toward 'close' at the stepped guide points at either side of the latch. Then, take right hand off, while pressing the top with left, to operate the 'close' button.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

The flaps have the release points at the 5 and 7'oclock position respectively...to close the top pull the most posterior seam as right as you can and holding only the edge seam slide it into the hole with the post angled to the front...this seams to be the best way to get the audible "click". Then close the trunk. From inside the car, with my right hand I grab the cross bar above the seat pull down and hold the close button.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

It's just impossible to have the latch work without fiddling with the roof while operating the button, and it seems to get worse over time on mine.

Anyone else experiencing this? I had it snap out very violently once during closing because it caught on the edge, sometimes I get errors and the rear trunk pops open again, and when I want to guide it in from too far the car refuses as the roof is too far open for the system to start engaging.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:02 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
It's just impossible to have the latch work without fiddling with the roof while operating the button, and it seems to get worse over time on mine.

Anyone else experiencing this? I had it snap out very violently once during closing because it caught on the edge, sometimes I get errors and the rear trunk pops open again, and when I want to guide it in from too far the car refuses as the roof is too far open for the system to start engaging.
I'd have that looked at. Sounds off.

Personally, I'm 3 months and 900 miles - haven't had any issues. Mine seems to work perfectly every time and I haven't given it a second thought.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM
chronarion
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the_rider
I would NOT recommend using your fingers to guide the hook into it's position. The finger could slip and get severed! Use both the hands to push the top toward 'close' at the stepped guide points at either side of the latch. Then, take right hand off, while pressing the top with left, to operate the 'close' button.
Yes, do be very careful with this. I found if I tried to move just the top without the latch it hardly ever lined up right. What I do now is I hold the close top button very briefly and it'll move the hook closer to the closed position. Then I'll move the hook into place, and then hold the close top button again.
This is less prone to removing fingers.

Without doing this I can never get the top closed without it popping out.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:03 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here is what I do:

Pop rear trunk and pull out roof all the way. Then go back and close the trunk lid but not all the way. I then pop the winged buttress things off and stick them in to the car slots until click sounds happen. Once that is done I sit in the car and pull the roof down all the way and press the roof lock button. The hook goes in and locks the roof and then I go and press the trunk lid shut. I find the lack of tension with the trunk lid a little open make it very easy.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 PM
QuickOne
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

The rear buttresses are very finicky. Mine popped out when I was putting it up the other day. You really need to make sure they clip in securely, then push the truck down, then latch the front rail.

Frankly, and I know I am in the minority, I preferred the top on my 987 Spyder. It also made the car feel that much more "special", if somewhat impractical.

Quick Reply: spyder top procedure question