Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Simon9
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.2 water pump replacement

Hi!

I found some DIY for 987.1 Cayman S but didn't find any for 987.2 Cayman S.
Are there any major differences? In some DIY for 986-987.1 I read about easier acces through bottom of the car (rather than through interior) - is this true on 987.2 as well?

thanks
Old 07-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Somerst
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished mine over the weekend. Replaced the water pump,installed a low temperature thermostat and flushed out the old coolant.
Some lessons learned....

Put the vehicle on tall jackstands to allow you to work under the vehicle easy. Remove the access covers behind the seat and the engine. Remove the serpentine belt. Remove the seven 10 mm bolts on the water pump. 2 bolts are longer than the others, so note the location. I used a red magic marker to mark the holes on the new pump. If you want to replace the thermostat, you will need female torx socket to remove the 4 bolts. All the bolts are aluminum, so order new bolts ahead of time. The last thing you want is to shear a bolt.
Replacement is straight forward, but it's still a balance of working in and under the car. Once you have the pump and thermostat replaced refill the expansion tank in the engine compartment. If you have a Airlift vacumm tool, I recommend using it. If not follow the burping instructions for the 987. I have a 2007 987, so it's actually a 987.2. The system will hold roughly 6 gallons but it won't take it all at once. Be patient, run, burp, refill and refill. This will take 3 or more times to get the level right. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 AM
cmcchesney
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't happen to take any pictures did you??

Quick Reply: 987.2 water pump replacement