Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Keyless Entry Ignition Starter Plug Key?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 04:27 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Keyless Entry Ignition Starter Plug Key?

No, I haven't read the manual yet

How do you remove the silver ignition starter plug key in a car with Entry and Drive on a MY16 981?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:51 AM
derpington
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 23 Posts

Turn your old key plug to the far left and hold it that way for 30 seconds. You will hear a click that unlocks the mechanism and you can then remove it.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:08 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by derpington
Turn your old key plug to the far left and hold it that way for 30 seconds. You will hear a click that unlocks the mechanism and you can then remove it.
The key won't turn to the left, past the off position. I just dug the manual out and as best as I can see you have to use the emergency wire to get it out.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:47 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
I just dug the manual out and as best as I can see you have to use the emergency wire to get it out.
Yep. I read the entire manual but didn't remember seeing that, so called dealer out of curiosity. Tech said the wire should be in the driver's side fuse box, by the knees. Haven't checked if it's there, but need to do that. Tech said one side of the wire is used to pop the little black cap. And the other to push the release switch thru the opening left by the cap. Please let us know if you found the wire, and if you could easily pop it. By the way, the only reason to pop it is if you run out of battery on the fob. Inserting the fob is the only way to start the engine in such case, but the dash supposedly gives you plenty of warning of fob battery running low. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:49 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

I am replacing the standard key switch with the Tequipment one painted to the same colour as my car. I haven't got it yet, but will post back how I go.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:53 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

For future reference, turn the ignition on with your key in the car, then remove your key from the vicinity so it displays the warning message on the dash. Turn the ignition of, then back on and off once more and the key will be ejected.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:47 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
For future reference, turn the ignition on with your key in the car, then remove your key from the vicinity so it displays the warning message on the dash. Turn the ignition of, then back on and off once more and the key will be ejected.
I didn't know that trick, but by 'ejected' did you mean the key actually pops back out a little, or that you're just able to pull it out? Any 'clicks'? By the way, looked into the rod issue, and it's attached to the plastic lid itself. Didn't attempt to remove the key (no need to), but the rod's 'L' shape gets into the little cover, so it's only a matter of pulling it (and catching it). But glad to know there's a much quicker way to get it off. Will try it to see if it works on my car. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:40 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

It clicks. I need to have a closer look for my rod, as on first glance I didn't see it.

Quick Reply: Remove Keyless Entry Ignition Starter Plug Key?