Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price checking 2014 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Hoss33
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Price checking 2014 Cayman S

I have been lurking around here for months now waiting to find a Cayman S with low miles and options I wanted. Pretty sure I found one, just getting thrown off with Kbb and Edmunds pricing vs what I see out there in the market place. What is yalls take on this one? Any one here know this car or it’s history that doesn’t show up on AutoCheck?

vin: WP0AB2A80EK190800

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=196792636

2014 Cayman S
agate grey
6 MT
sports Chrono
PASM
PTV
carerra s rims
red full leather interior
sports seats plus
infotainment w/Bose
premium package
steering plus
plus a few other things

10k miles
Asking $53,998
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

That's on the higher side for a non CPO 2014, but the spec is outstanding and the miles are low. Someone will probably bite at or close to that price given the spec. $86,470 sticker. https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...AB2A80EK190800

I think KBB is low on these cars. Almost none are for sale for fair or lower KBB price.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Hoss33
Advanced

Thanks for the reply! I just like getting a second opinion, as I have looked at so many cars the numbers start to run together in my head. From this cars history report, it was sold as a Porsche CPO back in the fall of 2015 with around 3k miles on it. I would love for this car to be CPO'd still, but with the lower miles, and lack of drive time I feel somewhat comforted about it. With Carmax I cannot get a DME report or PPI done before sale, so if the numbers work I was going to have an independent shop do a full look over for me, and if something bad popped up then I would have 5 days to take the car back.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss33
it was sold as a Porsche CPO back in the fall of 2015 with around 3k miles on it.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong: if it was CPO'd in 2015, it still is a CPO car, isn't it? Providing the in-service date was sometime in 2014, the original warranty lasts until the same month this year and the 2-year/100,000 miles CPO warranty will kick in. OP should check this with Porsche.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

I believe cars lose their CPO status if sold by a non-Porsche dealer.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Hoss33
Advanced

Good call on the car potentially still having CPO left. I feel like I have heard both things that CPO follows the car regardless, but I have also heard that it only follows if it goes through private party sale. I guess the only way to find out would be to take it by a Porsche dealership? Or better just to call around and see what answers can be scrounged up?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Good call on the car potentially still having CPO left. I feel like I have heard both things that CPO follows the car regardless, but I have also heard that it only follows if it goes through private party sale. I guess the only way to find out would be to take it by a Porsche dealership? Or better just to call around and see what answers can be scrounged up?
I think you should call/email Porsche North America with the VIN and they should be able to tell you for sure. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the strategy of PPI right away, return in 5 days is a good one. The Carmax warranty is also, IMHO, the gold standard on warranties... I had an M3 from carmax - BMW dealer is the repair center - every single little thing gets repaired for a low deductible, and the way they calc their warranty costs puts them much lower than others. Not sure if that has changed, but I've been looking for a Cayenne Turbo and I'd love to find on at carmax...
Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
That's on the higher side for a non CPO 2014, but the spec is outstanding and the miles are low. Someone will probably bite at or close to that price given the spec. $86,470 sticker. https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...AB2A80EK190800

I think KBB is low on these cars. Almost none are for sale for fair or lower KBB price.
I find KBB and NADA and Edmunds almost useless when trying to value some Porsche cars. NADA had the Spyder I eventually bought valued at $79K CPO. I offered the dealer $80K and got laughed at.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I find KBB and NADA and Edmunds almost useless when trying to value some Porsche cars. NADA had the Spyder I eventually bought valued at $79K CPO. I offered the dealer $80K and got laughed at.
Completely agree. It is a helpful starting point for some cars, but useless on Porsche. It valued my 981CS at about $4k less than I paid, and still values it several thousand less than what I think the real market for it would be. It's like they attribute average depreciation trends to Porsches that tend to hold their value better than many brands (after the initial hit anyway).
Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the price being on the high side for being non-CPO (I’m pretty sure that’s gone once another dealer has the car), but it’s within the range. I like the option list also.

Coincidentally, I just bought a 2013 Agate Grey Boxster S this weekend, 10K miles, CPO. It’s subjective obviously, but I love the color.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

From Porsche USA site "If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void."
Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
From Porsche USA site "f this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void."
That's actually great news for me. The salesman told me that my CPO car did not retain CPO status for anyone besides me unless a Porsche dealer was in between me and the next owner. As we all know, CPO is a hugely valuable characteristic when selling these cars.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I just like getting a second opinion, as I have looked at so many cars the numbers start to run together in my head. From this cars history report, it was sold as a Porsche CPO back in the fall of 2015 with around 3k miles on it. I would love for this car to be CPO'd still, but with the lower miles, and lack of drive time I feel somewhat comforted about it. With Carmax I cannot get a DME report or PPI done before sale, so if the numbers work I was going to have an independent shop do a full look over for me, and if something bad popped up then I would have 5 days to take the car back.
Do they have both keys? Battery may need replacing soon which isn't a huge deal. Did you drive it? Everything should work well. I assume clean carfax.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Hoss33
Advanced

@MidEngineRules

Yes, they have both keys. Did not think about the battery. Any good lightweight ones to consider? I am going by the dealership this weekend to see the car in person and test drive. Yes, clean "Autocheck" same thing as Carfax. Car was a two owner first owner was right outside Malibu California and second lived in Oklahoma City. Both only put about 2K miles on it per year. Must of been a garage queen/weekend church or coffee car.

Quick Reply: Price checking 2014 Cayman S