Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming from a 997.2 GTS cab and considering a Spyder...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Andrew_K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me the roof is a non issue; once you get the hang of it it's a 1 minute job;
Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Originally Posted by JAM2
I have only had the Spyder for 2 weeks. In comparison to my 997 Speedster, the top is a breeze. In about 30 seconds, we have mastered the opening / closing process, and it's quite a conversation starter.

I have had 3 997s, a 991, and now my first 981. The initial reaction with the Spyder echoes some of the comments above; driving nirvana. The exhaust is harmonious, the nimble handling is perfect for the twisties. While it can't carry true speed like a GT car, it's actually more fun.
Would you say the mid-engine lineup tends to be more fun as a weekend car compared to 911s, Gt3s, Turbos?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by EUWDIAMOND
Would you say the mid-engine lineup tends to be more fun as a weekend car compared to 911s, Gt3s, Turbos?
It depends what you have planned for the weekend.. It definitely handles differently than the 911s.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I don't think the mid engine aspect in and of itself is what makes it so much fun. For me it's the sound and power of that 3.8 combined with the beautiful chassis balance. Of all the other Porsches I've owned over the years including TT's and a GT3, probably my next most fun car would be my first Porsche, a 77 911S. I'd love to have that car back!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Spyder you won't be unhappy.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
I have only had the Spyder for 2 weeks. In comparison to my 997 Speedster, the top is a breeze. In about 30 seconds, we have mastered the opening / closing process, and it's quite a conversation starter.

I have had 3 997s, a 991, and now my first 981. The initial reaction with the Spyder echoes some of the comments above; driving nirvana. The exhaust is harmonious, the nimble handling is perfect for the twisties. While it can't carry true speed like a GT car, it's actually more fun.
Intake, sport headers and exhaust will fix the speed issue.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I don't think the mid engine aspect in and of itself is what makes it so much fun. For me it's the sound and power of that 3.8 combined with the beautiful chassis balance. Of all the other Porsches I've owned over the years including TT's and a GT3, probably my next most fun car would be my first Porsche, a 77 911S. I'd love to have that car back!
I love the looks of a Turbo but people keep saying that a gt3 / boxster is aay more fun. How come? The old Turbos are a blast but people seem to disregard the turbo as a daily driver and not a fun / weekend car. Is it really true?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Intake, sport headers and exhaust will fix the speed issue.
I am pretty sure I am in the minority; Spyder is fast-enough, for the street. If you are tracking, then it's never fast-enough. I get in trouble in slow S2000! Spyder probably is in the sweet spot of what is usable on the street. I could actually use bit less power; but, shorter gearing, higher red line, reduced weight by about 200-300 lbs and peak power near the red line.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
I am pretty sure I am in the minority; Spyder is fast-enough, for the street. If you are tracking, then it's never fast-enough. I get in trouble in slow S2000! Spyder probably is in the sweet spot of what is usable on the street. I could actually use bit less power; but, shorter gearing, higher red line, reduced weight by about 200-300 lbs and peak power near the red line.
I think the headers and intake make the car a little more street friendly as it increases the torque (significantly) in the lower rev ranges. Although shorter gearing would be optimal, it would require a transmission replacement. I tend not to run near redline all the time on the street, which is why I like the idea of more low range torque.

My comment was more or less directed toward the statement that the Spyder couldn't carry as much speed as a GT car.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love the looks of a Turbo but people keep saying that a gt3 / boxster is aay more fun. How come? The old Turbos are a blast but people seem to disregard the turbo as a daily driver and not a fun / weekend car. Is it really true?
of course that's a subjective thing and if you asked the question on a TT board you'd get different answers.

I owned two 996 TT's. They are fantastic cars in many respects. The first one I owned with the tip was awesome as a daily driver, given the heavy traffic conditions here in Orlando.

For me, as a driving enthusiast, the bulk of the TT was always noticeable in the twisties. My latest 996 TT, which I sold to make room for the Spyder, had 6 speed. I had lowered it, put an upgraded suspension and a Fabspeed exhaust. That car was pretty sweet. It was a rocket ship but compared to the light weight and mid engine balance of the Spyder there was no comparison for me in terms of driving fun. With the Fabspeed, the sound was much better than stock, but not many cars compare to the amazing PSE exhaust note Porsche has engineered into the Spyder.

So basically two different cars for different purposes. If I had extra garage space and more disposable income, I'd probably get another TT. They are awesome.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:35 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

of course that's a subjective thing and if you asked the question on a TT board you'd get different answers.

I owned two 996 TT's. They are fantastic cars in many respects. The first one I owned with the tip was awesome as a daily driver, given the heavy traffic conditions here in Orlando.

For me, as a driving enthusiast, the bulk of the TT was always noticeable in the twisties. My latest 996 TT, which I sold to make room for the Spyder, had 6 speed. I had lowered it, put an upgraded suspension and a Fabspeed exhaust. That car was pretty sweet. It was a rocket ship but compared to the light weight and mid engine balance of the Spyder there was no comparison for me in terms of driving fun. With the Fabspeed, the sound was much better than stock, but not many cars compare to the amazing PSE exhaust note Porsche has engineered into the Spyder.

So basically two different cars for different purposes. If I had extra garage space and more disposable income, I'd probably get another TT. They are awesome.

Thanks! Very good answer! Now I wonder how a carrera (4s) & gt3 compares to a spyder In a few years from now I will hopefully get my hands on a Porsche.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Very good answer! Now I wonder how a carrera (4s) & gt3 compares to a spyder In a few years from now I will hopefully get my hands on a Porsche.
I also owned a 996 GT3, and that car was very close to the Spyder in terms of raw, visceral driving thrills, although not nearly as good for daily driving use.

The GT3 engine sound was insane at redline, much like is the case with the Spyder. The handling once properly aligned was awesome although not as confidence inspiring in my hands as compared to the Spyder. The GT3 was less civilized and nowhere near as good for street use. Very uncomfortable for long trips (you really feel the bumps; my wife took one ride, got a backache, and never rode again), and the heavy racing clutch was just impossible for me in every day driving in congested city streets.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:34 AM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a slightly more rare version of the 997.2 GTS a before my Spyder - a C4 GTS with PDK. Ended up modding it for the track and it spent a lot of time there.

I loved that car, but I got bored with it. In the end, it's a 911 with some different options than most. Nothing truly special, really.

The Spyder is completely different. It's a factory hot rod with options that can't be added to a regular bolster. And it's instantly fun to drive, beyond the fun factor of the 6-speed. It handles well, looks fantastic and is visceral from the time you close the drivers door until you shut it off.

Get the Spyder - the reward goes beyond the transmission. I'm confident this car will be a collector.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I too came from later gen 911's - an 06 C2S and an 08 TT Cab. While I loved the TT for it's daily-driver versatility I found its bulk a big of a pig in the twisties and started to look for a pure driving car. Enter the Gen-1 Spyder (987.2). Here was a mid-engined car, manual trans, very light, with a snotty 3.4 L fat six. And in addition, a very cool, superbly engineered 100% manual roof. It ticked a lot of boxes for what I was yearning for as an enthusiast and I made the switch. Now two years into this car I can say that I love this car like I love a funny spirited dog. It's become may I say, a companion. However, it's just not a great winter or daily driver but out on the twisties with the top down, PSE open and in full flight? OMG - nirvana. And I dare say it has close to a perfect amount of power to weight, almost too easy to drive on local roads? You see where you want to go - you turn the wheel. Miss the apex by a bit? Turn the wheel. It's an incredible point and shot car and I probably need to take it to a track this year to fully appreciate it.

Now here's the catch - do I miss the TT as a daily-driver? Yes. It was just so darn practical. The Spyder is a ripper but the top, despite it's brilliance, has a tough time in crappy weather. If, even in light rain with the top up the cab fogs up etc... I've tried to offset this with a Macan but it is just not doing it, for me. To the OP, will you miss your GTS cab, with the slow down and drop-the-top? You may. The Spyder is an exceptional car, a better driving car than the 997, but IMO, not a daily-driver. A one-Porsche choice? Your 997.2 GTS. Want something for the weekends as a 2nd Porsche? Spyder or why not even go air cooled for some "true" Porsche motoring. Or perhaps that 987 Cayman S or even a 987.2 Cayman R. Now here's a rare (CR), mid-engined car, not a cab (you already has one), that will definitely scratch your mid-engined itch for not a whole lot of money.

Also, a comment on your crappy roads? Swap out some 18" wheels with winter tires and you'll improve the comfort a lot.

OK. It's Sunday and sunny out today and I know exactly which car I'm heading for. Good luck on your hunt (which is 80% of the fun).

P.s. You are treading on thin ice with the idea of owning multiple cars. Once you crack into this area it's a fee fall with no end in sight. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-03-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:07 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chronarion
The exhaust sounds like Barry White. It has bass rumble. It soothes the soul. It makes you want to make out with the car. It has the best sounding engine note I've ever heard, though it has a bit too much snap crackle and pop to be honest.

The top seals just fine. Frankly the spyder is a perfect weekend car. It has some hassle, it has some show, and by word, driving it feels like an event.
LOL well said!!

Quick Reply: Coming from a 997.2 GTS cab and considering a Spyder...