Chris Harris' Take on the 718

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 AM
Als991?
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chris Harris' Take on the 718

Via his Top Gear post.

(I challenge you to read this and not hear his voice-over the entire time...)

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-...he-718-boxster
Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to read some new Harris again.

Even if it's the same outcome as all the other 718 reviews.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

60 kg heavier?

That's disconcerting
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I can't believe a four cylinder turbo weighing that much more than a NA six.

Instead of developing the new range of engines I wish Porsche focused on putting the cars on a diet to increase their mpg.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:42 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Afshin, You mean make more 987 style Spyders

I think the emission standards are just too stringent to meet through weight savings alone. Hang on to the great ones we already have guys!

Last edited by christallon; 06-22-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Another 'meh' review from a revered auto journalist. And it's lost 2 cylinders yet weighs more? I don't get it either. The laws of physics would dictate that weight loss would improve fuel efficiency.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:45 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

turbo + intercooler + plumbing weigh a lot, surprisingly
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts

shewu speaks the truth. The 718 lost 2 pots and has a shorter crank, etc, but add a turbine, compressor, all that ducting, intercooler, heat shields plus probably another black box to handle the turbo and you get more weight. I wonder if the turbo on the 718 has a coolant bath and pump to cool down the turbo bearing like the 944 turbo?
I still wonder when the 981 was redone with a lengthened wheel base why it could not have been designed for a smaller 6 with a turbo. Still looks like a push to move current 981 people to the 911.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
dakargelb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of my view as well. When i ordered the GTS it was a no-brainer decision compared to the nearest equivalent 911 (an optioned non-S convertible). You got a better looking car, which handled better, probably sounds better and for £30k less. Or put another way, at £15k per rear seat they are mightily expensive!

Now with a four, I'm thinking the 911 is the way to go, because i want my Porsche to have a flat six!

Look at the desirability of 914 6 vs 4 cylinder models (ok a bit contrived as the 6s are also very rare)

Porsche wins.

Even though the 718 / 982 / 981.2 or whatever it is probably has an even sweeter chassis and is much quicker, none of that compensates for it not having a flat six. Hell, if the problem was one of cooling or packaging, then lose / shrink the rear trunk to allow the engine to show through a slatted glass panel above. No, wait, can't do that - everyone would want one....
Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Still looks like a push to move current 981 people to the 911.
Except the new 911 doesn't sound great either. Starting to think I should send Porsche a thank you note for helping preserve the value of my 981.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After driving the 718 base and S on track back-to-back with the 981 GTS, the 718 S with perf. exhaust and PASM sport is sick!

Normally, the NA GTS would surely have the best on-throttle modulation, right? It's not that simple. In Sport+ on the 718S, the VTG keeps the waste-gate fully closed allowing for a sizable part-throttle torque boost on-demand. Think of it as a simplified anti-lag setup.

The chassis enhancements are intuitively noticeable. Inverted dampers similar to the setup on the GT4, the rear suspension, and the 10% quicker rack from the Turbo S with PASM Sport give it a place-ability superior to the GTS.

The sport exhaust on overrun and on-throttle is addicting, poppy and burbly, and NOT SUBARU

Lastly, it is only 2 seconds slower than the... wait for it... the GT4 on the 'ring.

Yes I drank the Kool-aid, but this car is Dope! By the end of the year, you will find a 718 Cayman S in my driveway.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you explain how you can tell the suspension set up delivers something different to the GTS and how the 10% quicker rack helps "placeability"
Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Can you explain how you can tell the suspension set up delivers something different to the GTS and how the 10% quicker rack helps "placeability"
For years, I've raced Ford's Fiesta ST on the track. That has one of the quickest racks I've driven in some time. Small adjustments make big changes mid-corner.

That's how I would describe the place-ability difference between the 718S and 981GTS. More responsive to my inputs to place the car where I want it. Also, the chassis is more urgent and immediate in following my inputs.

Lastly, the shift paddles have a shorter travel than the 981 which feels racier.

Look, we can all agree the 981 flat 6's are magical engines. For the past few weeks I've been driving a 981 Cayman S w/sport suspension around town and it is amazing! However, do you really think Porsche would let us down with the next evolution? Both of the 718's have taken it up a notch. How many were saying, "water cooled, now they've gone and ruined the brand. I'll never buy another Porsche!" Or, "An SUV, really? Thanks Obama... er Porsche." ;-)

Progress calls and Porsche listens, we all know this and that's why we love the brand. Change is always difficult, especially for cult brands. But there really is something special here as there always is.

In full disclosure, I wasn't sold after watching the vids online. On the looks, sound, or the performance. After running them around a track against everything else in its segment including that 981GTS, I am a changed man. And once I got to really look at this car in person and appreciate the differences. It looks wider, meaner, more modern, and a perfect evolution of the 981's. Also, can be had with PTV which you know I'll spec for my car.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:24 AM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Harris
I’d prefer a nearly new six-cylinder car from last year, but here’s the bit that will really stick in the craw of the opposition: even though Porsche has made the new Boxster less desirable than the old Boxster, it is still by far the best car of its type.
I think that's the best summary of the 718.

I'm of the strange type that doesn't even like the sound of roadgoing Ferrari V8's. It just sounds like two Honda inline 4's to me. When the 458 challenge cars went by me in Montreal a few years ago I couldn't wait till the GT3's showed up to do their thing. So I'm never going to be enthralled with a four cylinder engine. That's the principal reason I got rid of my BRZ.

I didn't buy an F type because it wasn't as practical as the 981, so my next car will have to be some 911 variant.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Daddy
After driving the 718 base and S on track back-to-back with the 981 GTS, the 718 S with perf. exhaust and PASM sport is sick!

Normally, the NA GTS would surely have the best on-throttle modulation, right? It's not that simple. In Sport+ on the 718S, the VTG keeps the waste-gate fully closed allowing for a sizable part-throttle torque boost on-demand. Think of it as a simplified anti-lag setup.

The chassis enhancements are intuitively noticeable. Inverted dampers similar to the setup on the GT4, the rear suspension, and the 10% quicker rack from the Turbo S with PASM Sport give it a place-ability superior to the GTS.

The sport exhaust on overrun and on-throttle is addicting, poppy and burbly, and NOT SUBARU

Lastly, it is only 2 seconds slower than the... wait for it... the GT4 on the 'ring.

Yes I drank the Kool-aid, but this car is Dope! By the end of the year, you will find a 718 Cayman S in my driveway.
Originally Posted by GTS Daddy
For years, I've raced Ford's Fiesta ST on the track. That has one of the quickest racks I've driven in some time. Small adjustments make big changes mid-corner.

That's how I would describe the place-ability difference between the 718S and 981GTS. More responsive to my inputs to place the car where I want it. Also, the chassis is more urgent and immediate in following my inputs.

Lastly, the shift paddles have a shorter travel than the 981 which feels racier.

Look, we can all agree the 981 flat 6's are magical engines. For the past few weeks I've been driving a 981 Cayman S w/sport suspension around town and it is amazing! However, do you really think Porsche would let us down with the next evolution? Both of the 718's have taken it up a notch. How many were saying, "water cooled, now they've gone and ruined the brand. I'll never buy another Porsche!" Or, "An SUV, really? Thanks Obama... er Porsche." ;-)

Progress calls and Porsche listens, we all know this and that's why we love the brand. Change is always difficult, especially for cult brands. But there really is something special here as there always is.

In full disclosure, I wasn't sold after watching the vids online. On the looks, sound, or the performance. After running them around a track against everything else in its segment including that 981GTS, I am a changed man. And once I got to really look at this car in person and appreciate the differences. It looks wider, meaner, more modern, and a perfect evolution of the 981's. Also, can be had with PTV which you know I'll spec for my car.
Excellent write-ups. Tku. You've got me interested in a test drive to at least assess for myself what the fuss is all about. I agree whole heartedly with your comment on Porsche listening. The question is with each generation, each evolution, is "is the magic still there?". It sounds like it IS, just not with a flat 6.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris' Take on the 718