Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom exhaust that still 'kinda' sounds like a porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 PM
shasson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom exhaust that still 'kinda' sounds like a porsche

Hi all,

I have a 07 Cayman S

I just bought the IPD Plenum and Throttle body - now I'm looking for an exhaust that gets better flow and better flow management.

I want it to still 'kinda' sound like a Porsche
I do not want it to sound like a track car, Vette, GTR or GTO

and of course, as little drone in the cabin as possible...

Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Typically the louder the exhaust the more they drone.
Because of this fact, and because I didn't want an obnoxious level of noise that would become fatiguing when driving long distances, I opted for the Carnewal GT exhaust mod.

If you search the 987 Boxster and Cayman forums you will find quite a bit of info about this option.

Basically the mod consists of a shop (in WA state or in Europe) cutting open and reworking your existing mufflers. They remove the secondary catalytic converters (not needed, and no CELs or failed emissions tests will occur), replumb the muffler internals, and weld it back up.
It produces a good bark at startup and an increased level of sound at all revs, at times louder and at times softer. It is not as loud as aftermarket exhaust systems. One post I read described it as the sound level and quality that the car should have been produced with, and I agree although it might still be too loud for some buyers.
Best of all, there is NO drone at steady state driving at any speed, and it is significantly less costly than new mufflers.

Quick Reply: custom exhaust that still 'kinda' sounds like a porsche